What is the deal with canning?

I can because my wife and I have an affinity for brandied peaches. Think back and tell me the last time you saw brandied peaches for sale that weren't specialty items costing roughly seven thousand dollars an ounce.

:hat:

...TS...

I don't know that I have ever had brandied peaches but they sound good.  Any chance of you sharing the recipe?

My late grandmother used to can pickled pears (with lots of cinnamon and spices) that were danged good.  I don't know that I have ever even seen pickled pears in a store.  I don't currently have her recipe, though, and have never made them.  My great-grandmother, when she still lived alone, had a pear tree in her front yard that produced those rough, hard, brown pears that weren't all that great to eat fresh.  My grandmother would pickle them, though, and they'd be really good.

She also made and canned something one year that she called 'pear honey'.  The pears were pretty well chopped/ground up (I assume she used a blender or food processor) and were in a thick, sweet 'liquid' that really was just about the consistency of honey (although there was no actual honey in it to my knowledge.)  That was some good stuff, too - whether on a home made biscuit or over vanilla ice cream.

Edited by JAB

Those studies were interesting but they didn't really say if the canned goods were commercially canned or home canned.  In a FAQ on their website, Hormel states that their canned meats - as long as the can is not rusted or otherwise compromises, will generally NEVER go bad.  They say that there may be a loss of nutrients and flavor and that the texture may change after the 'use by' date stamped on the can has passed but that they will be safe to eat pretty much forever.  Those are commercially canned products, however.  I have to wonder if home-canned products would last as long - although I defintely think they can last longer than some may assume and, if done correctly, will last a lot longer than the one year cutoff that some folks recommend. 

I just re-read the article(s) JAB. You're right...the differentiation wasn't clear. My Bad.

It seems like I read something at a BYU or Utah State website regarding testing some home canned green beans that were still safe even after 15 years.

As you mentioned, texture and nutrient value, in home and commercially canned foods will certainly degrade over time. All foods have a finite shelf life...some obviously much longer than others. (That's why we have a rotational schedule and adhere to it...and it's also why we garden... :pleased: ).

I would also think temperature extremes and exposure to moisture and light would also have a pretty negative effect on the shelf life. we fortunate enough to have space in our home for our stored foods.

Here's a link to a powerpoint from [url=http://utahprepare.com/files/uploads/Food%20Storage%20PPt%20-%20Lloyd.pdf] Utah State[/url]. A slide on page #6 (Shelf Life Summary) mentions "wet canned foods" at "several years". It's my understanding that they consider properly prepared home canned foods in the same vein as properly prepared commercially canned foods. But that may just be my interpretation...so please beware.

Regarding commercially canned foods. I know when I was in the military (Navy Corpsman) we ate C Rats that we about 15-20 years old without any issue. Heck, I actually like some of 'em.

Timestepper; A recipe for those brandied peaches would sure be a nice thing to have...hint-hint.  :up: 

One you purchase your 14 quart All American pressure canner, canning jars, lids & rings and seeds, it will eventually pay for itself, but, and there's always a but :rofl: 

Your produce will always taste better than hot house grown stuff stored in tin cans. You know what insecticide / fertilizer if any you used and the satisfaction of growing it yourself. IMO, food tastes better and lasts longer stored in glass jars compared to canned products. I don't know of any gardener that adds MSG'S, artificial coloring or preservatives to their all natural garden produce.

When the cold rain and snow flies, it's a good feeling to make a big pot of veggie soup and everything you used came from your garden :yum: 

Edited by Dennis1209

I just re-read the article(s) JAB. You're right...the differentiation wasn't clear. My Bad.

It seems like I read something at a BYU or Utah State website regarding testing some home canned green beans that were still safe even after 15 years.

As you mentioned, texture and nutrient value, in home and commercially canned foods will certainly degrade over time. All foods have a finite shelf life...some obviously much longer than others. (That's why we have a rotational schedule and adhere to it...and it's also why we garden... :pleased: ).

I would also think temperature extremes and exposure to moisture and light would also have a pretty negative effect on the shelf life. we fortunate enough to have space in our home for our stored foods.

Here's a link to a powerpoint from Utah State. A slide on page #6 (Shelf Life Summary) mentions "wet canned foods" at "several years". It's my understanding that they consider properly prepared home canned foods in the same vein as properly prepared commercially canned foods. But that may just be my interpretation...so please beware.

Regarding commercially canned foods. I know when I was in the military (Navy Corpsman) we ate C Rats that we about 15-20 years old without any issue. Heck, I actually like some of 'em.

Timestepper; A recipe for those brandied peaches would sure be a nice thing to have...hint-hint.  :up:

Well I wish I had know that back in the day Prag. You'd be more than welcome to my O.D. can of cold eggs w/ ham, fruit cake and pork with juices. I'll just munch on my cheese & crackers and John Wayne bar.  :usa:

BTW. I had several "C" rations issued to me that were made just after WWII, 23 years old if I remember?  Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as far as taste, because they all tasted like the wife's cooking I now gag down but... The four pack of Camels and Lucky Strikes that came in the "C's" were greenish in color. I figured since I just ate the C rations, what's the old stale green Lucky's Camels going to hurt?

• Like 1

Well I wish I had know that back in the day Prag. You'd be more than welcome to my O.D. can of cold eggs w/ ham, fruit cake and pork with juices. I'll just munch on my cheese & crackers and John Wayne bar.  :usa:

BTW. I had several "C" rations issued to me that were made just after WWII, 23 years old if I remember?  Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as far as taste, because they all tasted like the wife's cooking I now gag down but... The four pack of Camels and Lucky Strikes that came in the "C's" were greenish in color. I figured since I just ate the C rations, what's the old stale green Lucky's Camels going to hurt?

LOL Dennis.

I still have a John Wayne aka P38 on my keychain. :usa:

I like the Lima beans and ham the best. Doesn't say much about my taste buds does it? The John Wayne crackers were good too. And who doesn't like a good Camel after a hearty meal. :cool:

Your All American is an heirloom Brother. And a workhorse! Good on ya!

btw... I like your reference to Descartes my friend. Brilliant mind.

I don't know that I have ever had brandied peaches but they sound good.  Any chance of you sharing the recipe?

Sure! Here it is:

Timestepper's Brandied Peaches with Cinnamon kicker

1. 6 pounds small to medium ripe peaches
  2. 3 cups water
  3. 2 pounds sugar (4 cups)
  4. 1 pint brandy
  5.  1/3 to1/2 stick cinnamon bark per jar

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using the tip of a paring knife, make a shallow “X” in the bottom of each peach. Add the peaches, one at a time, to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove the peach from the water and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Repeat with the remaining peaches. Peel off the skins, then pit the fruit and quarter the flesh.

2. In another large pot, combine 3 cups water and the sugar and bring to a boil. Add the peaches and simmer until just soft.

3. Have the jars, bands and new lids scalded and ready. (To scald, dip the jars and rims in boiling water. You don’t need to sterilize the jars, as you will be processing them for more than 10 minutes.) Gently pack the peaches into the jars, adding 1/3 to 1/2 stick (about 1 1/2 - 2 inches) cinnamon bark to each jar.

4. Add 1/2 pint brandy to the leftover syrup and boil until it thickens slightly, then spoon it over the fruit, filling the jars 3/4 full. Use a butter knife to release any air bubbles caught in the jars. Pour in enough brandy to fill the jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headroom. Wipe the rims, cover with the lids and screw on the bands fingertip-tight. Place the jars on a rack in a big pot and cover with 2 to 3 inches of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to medium and gently boil for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and then, after about 5 minutes, remove the jars. Allow them to cool, untouched, for 4 to 6 hours. Check the seals and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. Refrigerate after opening.

NOTE: You can eat them "fresh", but they're much better if you age them at least a week - preferably two. They'll really hit their prime at about 5 - 6 monrths (right around Christmas time if you can them in mid-July/early August). And you can leave out the cinnamon, but I think it adds a nice touch without overpowering the peaches.

Enjoy!

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper
  • Like 2

Sure! Here it is:

Timestepper's Brandied Peaches with Cinnamon kicker

1. 6 pounds small to medium ripe peaches
  2. 3 cups water
  3. 2 pounds sugar (4 cups)
  4. 1 pint brandy
  5.  1/3 to1/2 stick cinnamon bark per jar

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using the tip of a paring knife, make a shallow “X” in the bottom of each peach. Add the peaches, one at a time, to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove the peach from the water and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Repeat with the remaining peaches. Peel off the skins, then pit the fruit and quarter the flesh.

2. In another large pot, combine 3 cups water and the sugar and bring to a boil. Add the peaches and simmer until just soft.

3. Have the jars, bands and new lids scalded and ready. (To scald, dip the jars and rims in boiling water. You don’t need to sterilize the jars, as you will be processing them for more than 10 minutes.) Gently pack the peaches into the jars, adding 1/3 to 1/2 stick (about 1 1/2 - 2 inches) cinnamon bark to each jar.

4. Add 1/2 pint brandy to the leftover syrup and boil until it thickens slightly, then spoon it over the fruit, filling the jars 3/4 full. Use a butter knife to release any air bubbles caught in the jars. Pour in enough brandy to fill the jars, leaving 1/4 inch of headroom. Wipe the rims, cover with the lids and screw on the bands fingertip-tight. Place the jars on a rack in a big pot and cover with 2 to 3 inches of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to medium and gently boil for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and then, after about 5 minutes, remove the jars. Allow them to cool, untouched, for 4 to 6 hours. Check the seals and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. Refrigerate after opening.

You can eat them "fresh", but they're much better if you age them at least a week - preferably two. They'll really hit their prime at about 5 - 6 monrths (right around Christmas time if you can them in mid-July/early August). And you can leave out the cinnamon, but I think it adds a nice touch without overpowering the peaches.

Enjoy!

...TS...

Man, that sounds good.

Man, that sounds good.

Oh, believe me, it is good.  :pleased: 

One of our favorite ways to eat them is warmed slightly and just spooned over Old Fashioned Vanilla ice cream. And if you use them for a peach cobbler at Thanks Giving dinner (pour off the syrup and use it in your candied yam recipe) your in-laws won't leave until you wave the empty cobbler pan in front of them to lure them to the car. :yum:

One of our favorite ways to eat them is warmed slightly and just spooned over Old Fashioned Vanilla ice cream.

That was just about the my first thought after reading the recipe.

Hmmm...I wonder if it is too late to get good peaches this year.  Probably so - I guess I will have to wait until next year.

Edited by JAB

I liked the fruit cake -- used to trade for it.

No offense but, there's something seriously wrong with your taste buds and dietary way of relieving yourself? Tried giving the canned fruit cakes to all the dogs around camp and they turned their skin & bone's nose's up at it. I even tried to barter with the local Vietnamese with the canned fruit cake! They say, "G.I., you give momason  250 P, we burry the fruit cake for you"!

I'll wager my next MRE, you loved "nuckmom" too?  :wave:

LOL Dennis.

I still have a John Wayne aka P38 on my keychain. :usa:

I like the Lima beans and ham the best. Doesn't say much about my taste buds does it? The John Wayne crackers were good too. And who doesn't like a good Camel after a hearty meal. :cool:

Your All American is an heirloom Brother. And a workhorse! Good on ya!

btw... I like your reference to Descartes my friend. Brilliant mind.

Yep, I have to agree. The lima beans and ham were edible "if heated". I learned many ways to heat "C" rations...

• Like 1

No offense but, there's something seriously wrong with your taste buds and dietary way of relieving yourself? Tried giving the canned fruit cakes to all the dogs around camp and they turned their skin & bone's nose's up at it. I even tried to barter with the local Vietnamese with the canned fruit cake! They say, "G.I., you give momason  250 P, we burry the fruit cake for you"!

I'll wager my next MRE, you loved "nuckmom" too?  :wave:

Hey, I like nuoc mam - or at least the version I have had.  Never been to 'Nam but had a friend in college whose mother was from there.  She made home-made nuoc mam to go with her home-made Vietnamese style eggrolls (man, that woman could cook.)

Great.  Now I have a craving for homemade Vietnamese style eggrolls with home-made nuoc mam - and I haven't seen my college buddy (or his mom) since he moved to New York back in the late '90s (there are one or two Vietnamese restaurants around here that are pretty good but the only one that was nearly as good as hers is closed.)

Funny, that dude and I were sitting at a bar one night eating something and we asked the bartender if he had any hot sauce.  He brought out the Texas Pete or something like it but then said, "I bet you guys have never heard of this stuff," and brought out a bottle of (commercial) nuoc mam.  We just kind of chuckled and Joe (my buddy) said, "Yeah, I think maybe I have heard of that, somewhere."

Edited by JAB