I applied for my HCP today.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

Don't forget to get to your fingerprint appointment on time. Just as a watched pot never boils, so too a watched mailbox never produces a permit from the state. Well, just like a watched pot it eventually will provide satisfaction but damn that wait. :meh:

Congratulations on applying. I don't remember exactly how long it took for mine to arrive, only that as soon as it did, I forced my wife to load up the car so we could go some where. The first place I went was Bass Pro Shops, and they had a sign regarding loaded firearms in the store. Damn!!!

Guest Voodoo_1
Congrats! It took my wife exactly 30 days to get her permit. Just try not to think about it and it'll be here before you know it.

I believe you guys in and around Nashville are getting preferential treatment.:D I was told mine would arrive in about (6) weeks. It came (5) weeks and (3) days later.:meh:

Guest Kingfish
Congratulations on applying. I don't remember exactly how long it took for mine to arrive, only that as soon as it did, I forced my wife to load up the car so we could go some where. The first place I went was Bass Pro Shops, and they had a sign regarding loaded firearms in the store. Damn!!!

1) The sign is actually for people bringing guns in for repair, trade, etc.

2) The sign is nowhere close to legal to apply to a HCP holder.

3) The sign is not intended to prevent lawful carry.

4) Just call the store.

Guest Voodoo_1
I'm going to get fingerprinted tomorow after my morning class, but one thing I noticed was the little booklet/application you have to fill out says they have 90 days?

That statement may be in reference to you have 90 days to complete the app. process. If you exceed the (90) days you must retake the CW class to apply.

From 39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits:

(l ) The department shall issue a permit to an applicant not prohibited from obtaining a permit under this section no later than ninety (90) days after the date the department receives the application. A permit issued prior to the department's receipt of the Tennessee and federal bureaus of investigation's criminal history record checks based upon the applicant's fingerprints shall be subject to immediate revocation if either record check reveals that the applicant is not eligible for a permit pursuant to the provisions of this section.

Maybe we can set up a reference section to post laws, AG's decisions and such.

Meantime, learn to use the online version of Tennessee code at http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp= .The gun stuff is Title 39 - Criminal Offenses; Chapter 17 - Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare; Part 13 - Weapons. Handgun carry permits are in 39-17-1351.

Tennessee gun code is pretty easy. About all of the stuff in in this one area. The exception that comes to mind is about packing in Wildlife Management Areas. (Right now you can't except for hunting)

Also see Archi's posting at http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414

• 4 months later...
Guest Medic908

Can anyone tell me if hard copy prints are acceptable (i.e. from a police department) or do you have to go the electronic route?

Also, does the app fee cover the electronic printing or is that extra?

Thanks.

Guest Boomhower

Medic....what you pay at the DMV covers any finger printing you do.....Go the electronic route. It's much faster, easier, and cleaner.....a local UPS store did mine. The DMV will provide you with a number to call and set up your appt.

If you go to a police dept. to get finger printed before you go to the DMV, you will have to pay to get finger printed twice. Once at the police dept. and once at the DWV because your finger printing is figured in the $110 or what ever it was.

Medic....what you pay at the DMV covers any finger printing you do.....Go the electronic route. It's much faster, easier, and cleaner.....a local UPS store did mine. The DMV will provide you with a number to call and set up your appt.

Man, I feel old they did not have that fancy electronic fingerprinting stuff when I got my permit. It took a week and lots of high power cleaners to get all the ink off my fingers...

Guest BigBoostDSM

When I got my fingerprints done it was a simple 5 minute process. It's included in the fee, so why not go ahead with the electronic ones and get the permit to you a bit faster!

I went to the UPS store on manyardville hwy and cunningham.

Guest jediihaf

Hey everyone. I did my permit class in july, the application on July 31st, and the digital printing on august 1st. My permit arriver august 25th. I was told to always do digital printing it cuts the time down to 3-4 weeks, where as ink printing they'll take all of 90 days to get your permit.

Guest Medic908

Well, I've got some friends with local PD who hooked me up with no charge - didn't know the electronic route was included with the application process. Thanks for the information.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest EasilyObsessed

A couple months back three of the guys I worked with all took the class together and turned in their applications on the same day. It took them 4 weeks and 1 day.

Edit: They went the electronic route with the fingerprinting.

I recieved mine 2 weeks after being fingerprinted. a buddy of mine who is a retired Ranger took the class with me, went through the entire process and waited 2 months... come to find out, if you have served there is a way around all that, you just have to fill out a different app and you're pretty much good to go.