Updated info on Post Office carry

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

One could make the argument that when one visits the post office to mail something, they are on an official purpose.

One could make the argument that when one visits the post office to mail something, they are on an official purpose.

I think they mean the firearm has to be carried for an official purpose, not the person carrying it on the property for an offical purpose.

But it really doesn't matter what either of us think, it would be up to the federal judge. Let us know how your argument works. :D

• 7 months later...
It's quite clear, and has been for a long time. No carry at the official post office. Good post.

Now let me ask you a question. You stated "no carry at the office post office". What does that mean?

I'm really confused on this matter since I would have assumed (Yes I know) that you could not carry into the post "office" but would be fine checking your mail at the box since you were not actually entering the "post office".

I really want to know, the "whole building" or just the business end of the building?

Now let me ask you a question. You stated "no carry at the office post office". What does that mean?

I'm really confused on this matter since I would have assumed (Yes I know) that you could not carry into the post "office" but would be fine checking your mail at the box since you were not actually entering the "post office".

I really want to know, the "whole building" or just the business end of the building?

The law uses the term "federal facility".

"The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

I'd say entire PO qualifies.

You also can't carry a knife with 2.5" blade or longer.

I'd say MANY violate THAT little rule.

- Oh "concealed well is well concealed" Shoot

The law uses the term "federal facility".

"The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

I'd say entire PO qualifies.

You also can't carry a knife with 2.5" blade or longer.

I'd say MANY violate THAT little rule.

- Oh "concealed well is well concealed" Shoot

This is where I have a problem since the "public access" area, where you check you mail boxes there is no one working there performing anything. I can see in the customer service area but where the boxes are I feel should not fall into that law.

This is where I have a problem since the "public access" area, where you check you mail boxes there is no one working there performing anything. I can see in the customer service area but where the boxes are I feel should not fall into that law.

It's not particularly important whether you convince us or yourself of this, eh?

I'm sure that if you were ever charged, ANYwhere on the PO property, including the parking lot, would suffice for conviction if they wanted to press it. But why would they ever want to unless you created some kind of disturbance?

You could always just open carry there until you finally get nailed, and then make your case in court!

- OS

It's not particularly important whether you convince us or yourself of this, eh?

I'm sure that if you were ever charged, ANYwhere on the PO property, including the parking lot, would suffice for conviction if they wanted to press it. But why would they ever want to unless you created some kind of disturbance?

You could always just open carry there until you finally get nailed, and then make your case in court!

- OS

Just for the record, I don't make it a habit of OC'ing, and I do NOt carry where prohibited.Now I do NOT leave my firearm home when I go to the post office, I leave it in the truck. :D

Just for the record, I don't make it a habit of OC'ing, and I do NOt carry where prohibited.Now I do NOT leave my firearm home when I go to the post office, I leave it in the truck. :D

Oh, I interpreted your stance that the federal law as not binding on the area of the PO you frequent. Mea culpa.

Btw, what size pocketknife you carry?

- OS

Looks like the post office has ended any questions...

From Handgunlaw.us FAQ page, Question 4

#4 Question:

Can I legally carry in the Post Office?

Answer:
No

Title 39 - Postal Service

Chapter I - United States Postal Service

Subchapter D - Organization and Administration

Part 232 - Conduct on Postal Property

232.1 - Conduct on Postal Property.

Paragraph L

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

OOPS...

Oh, I interpreted your stance that the federal law as not binding on the area of the PO you frequent. Mea culpa.

Btw, what size pocketknife you carry?

- OS

A Kabar.:D

Just kidding, I got a little 2 inch junk folder. My keys and monkey ball keychain is more dangerous.:D The way it is set up either way I have a more than deadly weapon, the ball will crack a skull, and the keys on the other end will cut flesh like a cat o nine tails.:D

A Kabar.:D

Just kidding, I got a little 2 inch junk folder. My keys and monkey ball keychain is more dangerous.:D The way it is set up either way I have a more than deadly weapon, the ball will crack a skull, and the keys on the other end will cut flesh like a cat o nine tails.:D

See, you don't even need a gun! :P

- OS

See, you don't even need a gun! :tough:

- OS

Yea when I got it I decided to test it out, not wanting to be cruel I slapped my grill with it, shattered a big side table on the grill. I got 2 things out of that, 1 the confidence that if I had to use it, it will do the job, and 2 a new grill. LOL

Yea when I got it I decided to test it out, not wanting to be cruel I slapped my grill with it, shattered a big side table on the grill. I got 2 things out of that, 1 the confidence that if I had to use it, it will do the job, and 2 a new grill. LOL

That's funny. You savage you.

Blade freak myself...currently carrying 4.

- OS

The law prohibits carry on postal property, not just inside building - yet sect. 2 (below) only allows searches of vehicles when in restricted nonpublic areas.

(2) Vehicles and their contents brought into, while on, or being removed from restricted nonpublic areas are subject to inspection. A prominently displayed sign shall advise in advance that vehicles and their contents are subject to inspection when entering the restricted nonpublic area, while in the confines of the area, or when leaving the area. Persons entering these areas who object and refuse to consent to the inspection of the vehicle, its contents, or both, may be denied entry; after entering the area without objection, consent shall be implied. A full search of a person and any vehicle driven or occupied by the person may accompany an arrest.
So you're probably OK to drive-thru and drop mail in mailbox while carrying - Maybe OK to leave sidearm in your vehicle in public parking area when entering the P.O. - but I'm not sure how this would play out in court, and I don't want to find out.

I luck out. The post office is only a mile and a half from my house. Post Office runs are separate from all other runs. Leave house with no gun, go to PO, come back, put gun in holster at home. Now I go out to do all my regular stuff. Believe it or not, I can live with it! I can see where it causes a dilemma if the PO is some distance from home and makes for a lot of driving back and forth for gun. Like I said, I luck out!