I wept at wal mart tonight!

Agreed, saw a TV show about CCI and how they make 22 ammo. They alone put out millions of rounds per day.

I'm going by what those in the industry have said/published...the most rosy estimate I've read of total annual production running 24/7/365 is between 2/2.5 billion rounds per year; that works our to between 11,000 and 13,500 brick of 500 day.  Considering the many thousands (I think there are in the neighborhood of 1,500 Walmart's alone) of retailers in the country that's a handful of bricks per retailer per day at best.

However you slice the numbers, what I think is the undeniable truth is that until demand slows there will be no change in availability.

Edited by RobertNashville

The other night I picked up a 1K round case of Federal 5.56mm 62gr. "green tip" penetrators from the Walmart on Old Fort Pkwy. in Murfreesboro for $448. With tax that came to about $490. Unless you're a reloader, which I'm obviously not, that's a heck of a deal considering what it was a few months ago, and that's if you could find it! This is not ammo that I'll be shooting at the range, I've got 55gr ball for that. I'm saving this stuff for special occasions. Although they only had 2-cases on the shelf, the clerk said they had more in the back. YMMV. My advice to anyone that has an AR15, or something similar, that's clearly stamped "5.56 NATO" on the barrel, would be to pick up a case if you swing it. I kicked around the idea of purchasing it online, but when I factored-in the shipping & handling, plus the wait time, I opted for this route. Besides, when I want/need something, I don't want to wait a week, or two, or get an email saying "we sold out and it's on back order". :rant: