Shotshell reloading question.

I've finally got all of the components needed to reload 12Ga.   The problem is that I have a mix match of hulls from different manufacturers and I don't have load data that matches with most of the hulls that I have.    Everything I am reloading is 2 3/4 for shooting clays.  I am trying to reproduce something that's a little stronger than a Winchester Feather Light for my wife to use.   She loves those shells because they have such a low recoil but they are just light enough that they don't always reliably cycle her Benelli.   So I wanted to work up a load that's just strong enough to reliably cycle her gun.

My question is just how important is matching up Brand X hull to the load data in my reloading manual?  If I am sticking with plastic shell loads and using plastic shells do I need to be worried about the brand of hulls in my load data?

Load unibody shells (Win.AA, Rem Nito27,or STS, even Gun Club) with identical data for the most part. I routinely have used for years 19gr of Clays, Win. Primer and Win AA wad with 1oz shot. Has worked my SBE faithfully, although I generally use it in my Target gun. Velocity will be around 1250FPS.
Not much recoil. FWIW, IMO, Benelli and super-lite loads rarely function unless the gun is well-worn, clean, and oiled. Also if recoil is an issue for your wife, she will be much happier with a gas-operated gun such as the Beretta 391.
Using the brand of hull specified in the loading manual is important. Load data for a Federal hull may overfill a Winchester or underfill a Remington. Use the hull, wad, powder and shot specified and you should get beautiful crimps. Edited by enfield
  • Like 2
I've loaded the Federal paper hulls and they were great. I loaded all of my ribbed Remington hulls and gave them to my kids for Christmas, told them to NOT pick up and save the hulls for me - I'm done with them. Winchester AA only for me. I bought 1000 AA hulls from a skeet range years ago and still have a lot left. Most can be reloaded 4 times.
  • Like 2

I would heartily add to the chorus of those that advocate using one brand of hull; and only one... In the "old days" we reloaded (...and used up...) AA trap loads at the rate of between 500 and 1000 a week...  We never had a jamb or a mis-fire with AA trap hulls, anybody's primers, and AA wads...

They were all shot thru recoil operated semiauto shotguns; a Franchi and an old Winchester Model 50... Enfield's wise observation about the column height (...powder, wad, and shot...) is extremely important in getting the right overall height and crimp without a bulge in the end of the round... That is very important...

As to longivity of the hulls; they will reload a bunch of times, then the crimp area becomes "tired" and it either will not hold a crimp or the crimp will "shoot out"... My advice:... Decide on the load ya like, buy the components for it by brand name, and start reloading and shootin...

leroy

Battleop, do you have a shotshell reloader?  Reloading shotshells now not the big savings it once was with the price of lead being what it is.  Should be able to find a good deal on a MEC progressive.  Highly recommend the 9000G.  Once set up properly, it is possible to load a box of shells in less than one minute.

Battleop, do you have a shotshell reloader?  Reloading shotshells now not the big savings it once was with the price of lead being what it is.

Yes, I've got a MEC  that''s on loan from a friend who moved to a communist state for his job.   When ever he moves back I'll just buy a loader then.  I'm mot as worried about cost as I am doing this to find loads my wife and I both.  I work in IT sometimes 50-70 or more hours per week.  I'm constantly multitasking and some times need to just unplug.   Reloading is one of those few things I get to do where it's quite and no one bothers me while I'm reloading.  So even if it costs the same or a little more I don't care.

So more questions here....  I'm using the Layman 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook and it lists "Winchester HS or Compression Formed Plastic Cases, Fold Crimp" as one of the hulls.  So I Googled for some once fired Winchester HS Hulls and found the following:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Winchester-AA-HS-red-12ga-275-once-fired-100_bag/productinfo/AABW121/

and 

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Winchester-AA-HS-gray-12ga-275-once-fired-100_bag/productinfo/AABW12S1/

I've found that I have some of each laying around, enough to make up some test loads.   Other than the color is there any difference in these hulls other than the color?  

My guess is no... The red ones were the only color the AA's were in the old days.... The "AA Architecture" discussion for both rounds is the same in the description...  The "gray" hull seems to be an "improved design"...  Load em up and see what ya get...

leroy

The HS hulls are the 'new' AA hull and are the same regardless of color.  They are not the same hull as the 'old' AA hull which use to be the gold standard of quality hulls.  I guess it has been about 10 yrs or so ago that Winchester had to replace their shell making machines.  Most reloaders didn't like the new hull as much as the old.  IMO, the old shells made a better reload.  You can tell the difference by looking at the inside.....and by the swirls in the plastic of the old style hulls.  Don't buy hulls from Ballistic Products.  You can find them on line from private stock much cheaper; maybe even the old style.

My preference is the Remington hull, either the gold colored Nitro 27 or the green STS hull.