Why I wish concealed carry was legal on college campuses

Guest coldblackwind

Guest coldblackwind

On August 27, 2008, at approximately 10:14 a.m., two female MTSU students were involved in an argument over a parking place in the Bell Street parking lot on the MTSU campus. The argument ended when the suspect, Starlett Custer, 19 years of age, intentionally cut the victim, a 17-year-old juvenile, across the face and across the shoulder and arm area with some type of bladed instrument. The victim's injuries were not considered life-threatening; however, she was transported to Middle Tennessee Medical Center and treated. The suspect was arrested by MTSU Police and charged with aggravated assault. This case remains under investigation by MTSU Police.

This is a campus alert email I got today. A couple other people on this forum would have got the same email, and will probably have something to say. Basically, a 19 year old girl pulled a knife/razorblade on another student, and put them in the hospital over A PARKING SPACE!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you conclusion, but this is an example of a no win situation. If she had pulled a gun in response to the knife the headline would read "student pulls gun over parking space dispute." Gun or no, the safest move in this case would be to just let it go and park somewhere else.

I don’t think that is a very good example of anything except maybe why some people don’t want campus carry.

Two kids got in a fight over a parking space and you are thinking gunfire would have been a better ending?

Guest jcoyle6

I agree that shooting the girls in the face to get them to leave each other alone would have been a bad idea, but the potential for plain old violence still lurks on the hallowed grounds of a college campus.

I mean, they would leave each other alone if they got shot in the face, not a whole lot of people (or animals) would even begin to get back into a fight after having a couple of [iNSERT FAVORITE PISTOL CALIBER] [FAVORITE BRAND OF SELF DEFENSE AMMO] crash through their cranium.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting your chops. I agree with you. You should be allowed to carry (legally) on campus.

I'm just happy not to have to go there anymore. :wall:

Guest jth_3s

I was at MTSU last year for two semesters and had here were some of the Text messages they sent me.

1. The one about the guy almost beating the girl to death in cummings hall

2. Attempted abduction of a girl around the Library

3. A guy got mugged one night.

4. Armed Robbery around twelve or one O'clock between the Football field and Murphy stadium

There were a few more but these are the ones that stuck out.

A gun would have been bad in this situation for the reasons mentioned. Neither were old enough to legally carry.

Also, it's just a parking place people. Get over it. Find another place to park and go on with your life. Now, one person is going to have scars and fears the other is going to have a criminal record. Hope they weren't going for a degree that a future job would require a back ground check.

Guns on campus - good. Idiots on campus - Bad.

I don’t think that is a very good example of anything except maybe why some people don’t want campus carry.

Two kids got in a fight over a parking space and you are thinking gunfire would have been a better ending?

How would you guys feel about it if the girl had died from her wounds? I agree it's just a few cuts and the girl is very lucky, but what if you were in her shoes and were faced with a knife weilding assailant?

I'm guessing your answer is the same as mine...draw... fire...

Sometimes it may be just a cut sometimes it may end in death, I'm not taking the chance.

Regardless of whether the girl died from her wounds. In the state of TN you MUST BE AT LEAST 21 to get a carry permit. Now, if a legal carry permit holder were walking by and saw this and was able to intervene I would say - Good on ya! You protected an "innocent person" but then again, if I didn't witness the entire proceeding it would be a bit difficult. This is the scenario where I can say I can only defend myself and my family.

Guest coldblackwind

Exactly brasilnuts, thats what I was getting at. I'll agree, neither of them were old enough to carry, so it wouldn't have made a difference anyways. I'm not saying that I prefer someone got shot instead. I'm saying, if it happened to me, I would prefer to at least have the option to be armed. Of course, I'm 25, and have a carry permit, but this campus has pretty well gone nuts the past couple semesters. We had something like 4 or 5 armed robberies on campus last semester, plus the girl mentioned above who almost got beat to death, and now a 17 year old girl got put in the hospital over a parking place.

I think that point here is that you can't carry on campus. 17 or 70 makes no difference. I was not and I don't think anyone else was arguing that the girl was under age and therefore unable to legally carry.

I think what the OP was trying to get across is that he is upset that he may be faced with some knife wielding coed, or worse, and not have the means to protect himself.

Oh yeah, a legal HCP holder can’t just walk by and intervene...GUN FREE CAMPUS.

I think that point here is that you can't carry on campus. 17 or 70 makes no difference. I was not and I don't think anyone else was arguing that the girl was under age and therefore unable to legally carry.

I think what the OP was trying to get across is that he is upset that he may be faced with some knife wielding coed, or worse, and not have the means to protect himself.

Good point...and I agree.

Oh yeah, a legal HCP holder can’t just walk by and intervene...GUN FREE CAMPUS.

I disagree on this.

39-17-1322

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

I know if I am in Walmart or walking down the street I can use my weapon to protect myself or others, but what if you are in a posted area? Ok so if you are carrying in Ruby Tuesdays, remember it's illegal, and use your weapon to defend self or other you are going to go to jail. Likewise if you are on a school campus.

Correct..or am I missing something?

I guess a campus parking lot could be a grey area?

After all you could just be driving by.

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest jackdog

please refer to this section of the law.

Quote:

39-17-1322

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

Guest jth_3s
I know if I am in Walmart or walking down the street I can use my weapon to protect myself or others, but what if you are in a posted area? Ok so if you are carrying in Ruby Tuesdays, remember it's illegal, and use your weapon to defend self or other you are going to go to jail. Likewise if you are on a school campus.

Correct..or am I missing something?

I guess a campus parking lot could be a grey area?

After all you could just be driving by.

Even if you were charged with a crime it would just be a misdemeanor that you would never be convicted of.