Trying too hard to make this shutdown more than it is...

Guest 6.8 AR

I think Obama and Reid thought they were going to have an easy blame it on the Republicans and it would just go away. Wrong decision I think. More and more people everyday are beginning to see through all of the charades of Reid and Obama and it is going to turn around and bite them hard before it is all over..........jmho   I was talking to a die hard devoted Democrat this morning that looked me right directly in the eye and told me he would be switching parties soon as he could to independent as right now he was disappointed in both of them and especially his party. He said that his father was a WWII vet and was at Normandy and what Obama did with the WWII war Memorial was the final straw with him.

I believe the way this is going the general public will have a change of heart about Obama. That is the ones that keep up with the news and care about what is happening. Not the ones standing with their hands stuck out for a free government handout and watching NBC and reading the New York Times propaganda. Obama is already asking people to let them know how they have been inconvenienced by the shut down so he can get as much mileage out of it that is possible in his everyday trashing of the Republicans. Can't turn the tube on without his face showing up and bad mouthing the Republicans.

I really believe he is pushing as far as he can to make the country miserable. This is good solid Chicago politics. He was taught by some of the best and ruthless. I believe the entire country is close to the edge and ready to fall off the fence and start to push back against this joke in office. With the dysfunction that is called Congress and Washington and all that is currently happening, I feel like Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto stated at the start of WW  2  "I feel all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve".

I believe the eyes of the giant are beginning to open in this country.

Guest ThePunisher

I believe the eyes of the giant are beginning to open in this country.

I wish I could really believe that. Never thought the American people could have been so dumb in electing a commie POTUS twice.

Interesting perspective. I'm sure that the small businesses that are located in the areas where fed workers are affected will have a different point of view. As for "life" going on, this so called "shutdown" is not true on its face. I guarantee you that if the air traffic controllers, law enforcement, firefighters, meat/produce Inspectors, military, and other essential personnel were truly shut down then the landscape would be entirely different. Not to mention the SSA and VA checks being stopped. At the end of the day (rhetorically speaking), government will resume its normal duties, life will move on, people will continue to talk about how big government is and how disgusted they are about the Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare. These politicians are what they are.... Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17

Those businesses would be a lot better off if they were providing their services to entities that made their money by providing valuable services to society and not by extracting it by threat of force. Their taxes would be less too.

I think your right mse9. I think this time Obama and Reid has pushed the envelope a bit to far and like I said in another post it is just about to bite them both in the butt. They have been so focused on making the Republicans look bad that it is coming back on them to now...............jmho

[quote name="tnguy" post="1043908" timestamp="1380937280"] Those businesses would be a lot better off if they were providing their services to entities that made their money by providing valuable services to society and not by extracting it by threat of force. Their taxes would be less too.[/quote] Seriously?? Well tell that BS to the restaurant owner who sells food in an area for the employees of a defense contractor who provides critical mission support for the military or how about the handicapped people who work for the Goodwill and their contract is to help clean up in and around Federal facilities or better yet, the blind people who run snack shops inside a Federal building. Last time I checked Haliburton, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, Honeywell Raytheon, etc all provide critical services and are pretty significant but perhaps I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it. Moreover, I don't hear about any private companies complaining about the Federal welfare aka subsidy they receive to help run their businesses, Google, Ebay, Yahoo and PG&E just to name a few. Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17 Edited by blueghost
Guest Bassman17SC

Seriously?? Well tell that BS to the restaurant owner who sells food in an area for the employees of a defense contractor who provides critical mission support for the military or how about the handicapped people who work for the Goodwill and their contract is to help clean up in and around Federal facilities or better yet, the blind people who run snack shops inside a Federal building. Last time I checked Haliburton, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, Honeywell Raytheon, etc all provide critical services and are pretty significant but perhaps I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it. Moreover, I don't hear about any private companies complaining about the Federal welfare aka subsidy they receive to help run their businesses, Google, Ebay, Yahoo and PG&E just to name a few. Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17

Seriously?  Please.

Every single one of those companies you listed has their business model based on both the private sector as well as the government sector.  If the government contracts went away, the companies would just figure out another avenue to expand the business in the private sector.

Last time I checked, the federal government receives goods (i.e., airplanes) or services (computer programming, data collection) from those companies in return for a price (either in the form of cash or a tax break or whatever).

Seriously? Please.

Every single one of those companies you listed has their business model based on both the private sector as well as the government sector. If the government contracts went away, the companies would just figure out another avenue to expand the business in the private sector.

Last time I checked, the federal government receives goods (i.e., airplanes) or services (computer programming, data collection) from those companies in return for a price (either in the form of cash or a tax break or whatever).

On your first point, neither you or I know what would happen to those companies business structure if the contracts went away. Supposition is not reality.

On your second point, you are exactly right about the goods the government receives, that's a given. However, not only do companies (some, not all) receive "breaks" but they charge jacked up prices/rates for said goods and services which in turn cost the taxpayers.

Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17
Good thing this wasn't going on last year this time when we took our vacation to the GSM National Park. I imagine Gatlinburg is feeling the pinch somewhat considering they depend highly in the tourism this time if year.

On your second point, you are exactly right about the goods the government receives, that's a given. However, not only do companies (some, not all) receive "breaks" but they charge jacked up prices/rates for said goods and services which in turn cost the taxpayers.

Wait, this is your argument for /continuing/ government spending?

Good. Because it sounded like you were justifying government wasting money to create unproductive jobs by saying that they also give money to private industry (government welfare) which I oppose also. I was suggesting that the people who earn money through free trade are the best stewards of how to spend that money and that just because a few innocent bystanders happen do well from government living it large with our money in no way justifies that spending.

Edited by tnguy