Question on Tn. handgun laws.

Guest Soldier1031

Guest Soldier1031

I was told that the state of Tennessee does not require that you register your firearms. Does this apply to handguns as well or just rifles and shotguns?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rufusgooch

But you do have to be a resident of tn to buy a gun in tn. Was on leave in Bristol yrs ago and found a pistol, good price. They wouldnt sell to me. My dad got a hell of a deal on that pistol.

But you do have to be a resident of tn to buy a gun in tn.

You sure do. That is Federal Law. Just as I could not buy a handgun in Nebraska without being a resident.

Edited to add: The residency requirement only applies to handguns. You can buy long guns.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
clarification
Guest unreconstructed1

the joy of living in a state that actually understands what "do not infringe" actually means (well at least on the "keep" part). Tennessee basically has no laws infringing upon the right to keep a firearm (even when it comes to NFA they help us out)

now if only they would repeal that damn prohibition on large fixed blade knives and brass knucks, and institute Alaska style carry, I'd be a happy camper.

• 2 weeks later...

So if you have a ccw permit is it alright to carry a weapon if you have no paperwork or bill of sale. I know you should have it checked that its not on hot sheet. but I have some I bought years ago, football boards, etc. Some have told me to register others say not to carry.

Guest bkelm18
So if you have a ccw permit is it alright to carry a weapon if you have no paperwork or bill of sale. I know you should have it checked that its not on hot sheet. but I have some I bought years ago, football boards, etc. Some have told me to register others say not to carry.

First off, in TN, its called a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP), you can carry open or concealed with it. You do not have to provide proof of ownership of any kind of your weapon. And for those that told you to register your gun, they are ignorant. TN has no firearm registry.

Guest HexHead

Stop hanging around with fools.

I have never heard of that ever being an issue, but I suppose anything is possible.... I certainly don't carry bills of sale for my firearms in my wallet.

Ok for instance the 4516 I carry, used to belong to my Grandfather. I get pulled over and they run the SN through whatever database they use. Doesnt that database get its info from the 4473 (i think) that you filled out when you first bought the gun. In this case my grandfathers name would pop up and not mine. I imagine they might be abe able to give you a hard time. Or am I totally wrong?

Ok for instance the 4516 I carry, used to belong to my Grandfather. I get pulled over and they run the SN through whatever database they use. Doesnt that database get its info from the 4473 (i think) that you filled out when you first bought the gun. In this case my grandfathers name would pop up and not mine. I imagine they might be abe able to give you a hard time. Or am I totally wrong?

Pretty much wrong, I think it's safe to say.

It's more or less like this:

There is no data base were anything will "pop up" to a cop, except guns with serial numbers listed stolen (and I'm not real sure that is an "instant" check either, and if it is, the cop would have to be pretty suspicious to wade through serial numbers on the side of the road).

Tracing a handgun in TN is a laborious process that has to go all the way back to manufacturer, then distributor, retailer, first buyer. Of course, the trail stops there if gun is sold by original owner to another same state buyer, as no paper trail of that transaction is even required by state law.

You see, retailer is required to keep those paper transaction records for ?? years/forever?, but they don't go into any central data base. And what of all the retailers who go out of biz? Where are THOSE records? I dunno.

Read some horror stories here about how long guns have been kept by LE to trace.

So assuming records are kept as old as when your grandfather bought the gun, then the trail would indeed stop with him. But that sure won't "pop up" on anybody's screen, especially a cop's who is doing a traffic stop.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

As OhShoot said, thats not how it happens. The 4473 stays with the FFL that sold you the gun, thats it. That's the only place that info is kept. TBI destroys it's info 72 hrs after the background check. The only thing the police have access to is a database of serial numbers from firearms reported stolen. To actually trace it to who is supposed to own the gun, they have to go from manufacturer, to distributer, to FFL, to purchaser individually since there is no "database" that stores all this info. So theres no need to worry about having documentation that you purchased the firearm.

Guest killemducks
the joy of living in a state that actually understands what "do not infringe" actually means (well at least on the "keep" part). Tennessee basically has no laws infringing upon the right to keep a firearm (even when it comes to NFA they help us out)

now if only they would repeal that damn prohibition on large fixed blade knives and brass knucks, and institute Alaska style carry, I'd be a happy camper.

EXCEPT that you have to have a PERMIT to carry LEGALLY!!! Don't fall asleep on that point....If that is not infringement, I don't know what is!!!

Which I guess you covered that in the "keep part" comment....keep, no. carry, yes. (infringement that is..)

EXCEPT that you have to have a PERMIT to carry LEGALLY!!! Don't fall asleep on that point....If that is not infringement, I don't know what is!!!

Which I guess you covered that in the "keep part" comment....keep, no. carry, yes. (infringement that is..)

I honestly don't see that as infringement. TN is a Shall Issue state. If you're aren't a criminal, they'll issue you a permit. Infringement would be not allowing us at all like Illinois or the other May Issue states.

Guest slothful1
I honestly don't see that as infringement. TN is a Shall Issue state. If you're aren't a criminal, they'll issue you a permit. Infringement would be not allowing us at all like Illinois or the other May Issue states.

IF you pay them money, take a class, get fingerprinted, etc., etc. That's infringement. You don't have to pay a fee or have a background check to exercise your other Constitutional rights, such as freedom of religion, or the right to be secure against having your property seized without due process.

And if you want to use your freedom to peaceably assemble on somebody else's private property, with their permission, you can. Whereas the state prohibits the right to bear arms if that private property fits certain categories (private school, restaurant that sells alcohol, etc.). This is also infringement.