Ruger 77/357

Pat

Hey fellas.

Well, I've been trying to dig up information on the Ruger 77/357 bolt gun. I'd like to hear from some TGO'ers in addition to my ongoing Google searches. After researching the versatility of .357/.38 guns and the .357 cartridge itself, I'm looking hard at a 77/357 as an all-purpose rifle... hunting small to medium game, in rain, sleet, snow, or shine. Readily-available ammo, and hard-hitting in the event of an HD situation or the SHTF I dream about... any info on this gun, prices on used ones, reliability, quirks, etc. is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marlin 1894 in 357. The answer to all your questions! ;-)

Handloaded 357s out of an 18-20" barrel can be quite formidable. I clipped the mag spring on mine and it holds 9+1 now. It's one of the guns I will never part with.

Odd, 9 is factory spec, and mine holds 9 with no mod.

- OS

Hey Pat,

Just my two cents, but I have a Marlin 1892 .357 and a Ruger M-77 all weather in 7.62x39. I LOVE BOTH rifles...but that little AK round just hits a harder. I reload for both, so either rifle is pretty versatile and either rifle is flat out fun to shoot with little recoil. With lots of surplus ammo available, I think the 7.62x39 round be the one for SHTF situations though, and you can get full metal jacket stuff too.

But either caliber, you'll find that M-77 a blast to shoot and accurate too. They also make it in .44 mag, which has always interested me as well. I can not think of a single quirk on the 77. I've owned four during my life and all of them functioned and shot great. You can't beat the mauser action and you sure can't beat the genius of Bill Ruger's guns.

OS, is yours the shorter version? I haven't bothered looking up spec, you're probably right. I bought mine new and it was a beast to load, and I could only get 8 357s in there. 9 38s would fit. Then I cut about 4" off the spring and things got much easier, and I finally got that 9th 357. :-)

OS, is yours the shorter version? I haven't bothered looking up spec, you're probably right. I bought mine new and it was a beast to load, and I could only get 8 357s in there. 9 38s would fit. Then I cut about 4" off the spring and things got much easier, and I finally got that 9th 357. :-)

9 .357's or .38 specials?

Mine holds 9 .357 or 10 .38sp. Standard 18.5" barrel as shown on site:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894C.asp

and

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894CSS.asp

Maybe they used to make one or sometimes special editions with 16" barrel? What's yours Music?

-------
edit: sorry for hijack, Pat.

One thing can add about the 77/357 when I looked into them some time ago is that folks on RugerForum say the mag runs .38sp "okay". Something about best to not take it out and reinsert after feeding first round from it or some such was only glitch I saw mentioned.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot

Hm-hm, thanks for the input, guys.

I'll say this - some of you recommend a Marlin '94. I was set on getting that a few months ago... and I'd like to have one of those as well. However... though I'm not a fan of synthetic stocks... more of a traditional fellow, blued steel and shimmering walnut... it is better and more durable from a practical standpoint. Not to mention the rarity and questionable quality of new 1894s...

Anyway, again, thanks for the input, all. I feel pretty confident with getting a 77/357... we'll see if I can scrounge up some funding before too long! Hah...