Advice on lever action 22

zybysco

I've been considering a golden boy by Henry or the regular octagon by Henry. Anything else I should look at? Thoughts? Recommendations? How well does the golden boy hold up? I've looked at what they call blued, but it looks more like paint to me.

Thanks in advance

Adam

I bought the Henry blued .22 for my wife....she loves it...very smooth, light, reliable (when you can find ammo) and affordable. She wanted the Golden Boy until she saw the price and I see no difference except for the cosmetics.....can't go wrong with a Henry no matter what model you choose.....jmho.. :2cents:

• Like 1

I shoot against some Henry guys in silhouette matches. They're nice looking guns and seem to hold their own.

Personally I shoot a Marlin M-39A that absolutely loves those Federal 550 Rd bulk boxed bullets. There's a lot to be said for 

micro groove barrels. They tend to be more expensive than Henry's but I've never seen a used one that shot real bad.

Ammo is everything. All guns have their personal likes and dislikes when it comes to make.

They all seem to need a bit of work in the action to ensure smooth cycling and a good trigger pull but anyone can do that to 

their own rifles without doing much harm. Just ask before filing on trigger sears and such. A general smoothing of the internals 

goes a long way.

Plinkin at cans out to 100 yds they all will work. Shooting in matches requires a bit more.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

Rhinestone Rachel started SASS matched with the .22 Golden Boy.  It has never failed.  Just levering the action you feel the tightness & crispness of the action.  I would call it grandkid proof.  As hard as they shot it it still looks like new.  I would definitely try one out before I bought something else.

Cherokee Slim

Guest Aces&8s

Love my Golden Boy...  the finish is just as nice as it was the day I bought it, and the action is even smoother than it was then (and it was pretty dang smooth from the beginning).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chuck66

<----------I love my blue .22.  It would be the last lever gun I'd let go of.  I plan to pick up a Big Boy in .357 or 30-30 some time soon.

Congrats! 

Edited by chuck66
  • 3 weeks later...

Both Marln and Winchester have made several models throughout the years.

After serious consideration and research, many people opt for the older models, for example pre 1982 for the Marlins (when the cross bolt safety was introduced).  Browning also makes a nice 22 lever gun with the shortest throw (lever travel) in the business.  Vintage guns command prices that are on par with and often exceed that of new models.  Many prefer pre Japanese Winchesters and pre Remington Marlins; I opt for the Marlin 39 series in its many configurations.  I don't have any experience with the Henry, but it is a popular option.