Need Help - 1911 accuracy

MPGlock

Figured I'd reach out to all of you to get a little help on my POA/POI problem with my 1911. Just got it and have had it to the range twice and every shot is low and to the right. I read several articles stating that those that are not used to the 1911 have a tendency to go low and left which makes sense to me as I am left handed so this would fit the bill. I had a buddy of mine at the range with me and he put 5 mags through it and was dead on so I know it's the shooter (that would be me!!) and not the gun. I'm dead on with my G17 gen 4 so it may be just getting used to the gun itself. I love the feel of the gun but want to be able to hit what I'm aiming at. Any tips you can provide are greatly appreciated. Thanks as always for the help!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dry fire test?  Point at a target, fire, and see where you are pointed after (should still be dead on the point of aim, if not, you moved your hand when you fired). 

EDIT: you should know it if you have one, but some top end 1911s are not to be dry fired, in whcih case, you use a snap cap.

Edited by Jonnin

More dry firing will help you acclimatize to the 1911 vs. Glock 

Dry firing is fine the 1911 has a robust firing mechanism do it all the time and mine hold 2 Lbs. on my .45 and just a shade over 2 Lbs. on my .38Super (USPSA race guns)

Now, letting the slide ride home on an empty chamber/no magazine that is what  will kill all that fine hand fitting of the lugs (accuracy) and hammer sear engagement due to sear bounce (crisp target trigger job) Because the round riding up the fed ramp cushions the gun as it engages the extractor and goes into battery thus avoiding those 2 points of contention.

Also if it has an over travel set screw it may be a bit tight causing the trigger pull to stack at the very end which can also possibly cause a low right dip in your case, but that usually causes trigger weight to climb erratically as the screw moves in and out some nail polish will fix that problem and give you enough time to set it before it "glues" it in place

the targets are already telling you what you are doing you just have to reverse the graphic above (make it left appropriate) and overlay it , we used to have some of these as transparencies at my old gun club for training the rookie bull's-eye shooters and helping the old salts who developed a habit. called them Problem Pinwheels in hind sight I should have bought copies when I had the chance. :slap:

In the end it is just getting used to your new bullet launching platform, they are all like women some dance fast some dance slow and others are, years later after many hours of study still mysteries :shrug: 

Hope this helps,

John

Edited by LngRngShtr