Remington 700 SPS TACT 300 BLK Opinions?

Hozzie

I am considering purchasing the gun mentioned above to go along with the 300 BLK pistol I am building with our TGO Lower and Upper.  I am about a month away from getting my suppressor in hand and thought this looked like a good bolt action platform to shoot suppressed.  

It looks like this:

700Blackout-courtesy-Remington-300x73.jp

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this particular rifle or experience with another bolt action in 300 BLK you have been happy with.  I figure it's always fun to have at least two guns in the same caliber.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I am considering purchasing the gun mentioned above to go along with the 300 BLK pistol I am building with our TGO Lower and Upper.  I am about a month away from getting my suppressor in hand and thought this looked like a good bolt action platform to shoot suppressed.  

It looks like this:

700Blackout-courtesy-Remington-300x73.jp

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this particular rifle or experience with another bolt action in 300 BLK you have been happy with.  I figure it's always fun to have at least two guns in the same caliber.

Thanks!

I love playing with the one in the shop, heh heh but as far as how they shoot I couldn't tell you. Terminal ballistics on the .300BO are supposed to be on par with 7.62x39 as far as I know. Just need to reload for that thing, when 6.8 is cheaper then you know you've got an expensive little cartridge.

I love playing with the one in the shop, heh heh but as far as how they shoot I couldn't tell you. Terminal ballistics on the .300BO are supposed to be on par with 7.62x39 as far as I know. Just need to reload for that thing, when 6.8 is cheaper then you know you've got an expensive little cartridge.

I will only be reloading and in that only for subsonic rounds.  I ordered a 1000 Missouri Bullet 245 gr lead bullets for just this purpose.  I am working on cutting down brass and getting it prepped right now.  I will be ready for when my suppressor gets here one way or the other  :pleased: .  Next is just to figure out subsonic loads for my 8.5" pistol and whatever rifle I end up with.

I will only be reloading and in that only for subsonic rounds.  I ordered a 1000 Missouri Bullet 245 gr lead bullets for just this purpose.  I am working on cutting down brass and getting it prepped right now.  I will be ready for when my suppressor gets here one way or the other  :pleased: .  Next is just to figure out subsonic loads for my 8.5" pistol and whatever rifle I end up with.

I don't THINK(and I use that loosely) you should run lead bullets with a gas system as it can clog the port but OhShoot and SEVERAL other members could better say than I, tis only interweb conjecture with which I speak, haha.

I have one with a vortex diamondback optic. Shoot mostly 110 barnes and 125 nosler. Only issue I have had is will not eject cases at times. I know there are some aftermarket extractors to fix this just haven't got around to it. This will be my deer gun this season.

Where are you located? You are more than welcome to pull the trigger on my Savage version.

Be forewarned that the MBC bullets were very bad about leading in several of my guns.

Not sure what dies you are using but I would suggest opening the next up some if you plan on shooting cast. If you have RCBS dies give them a call and order the expander ball for a 7.62x54. You will also need to bell the case mouth slightly to prevent shaving the lead bullets. Lee makes a nice universal belling die.

I have shot thousands of cast bullets through my AR and the only died effect is the adjustment on my 3 way gas block can get a little hard to turn.

And finally, if you are shooting cast bullets through a suppressor you must be able to take the can apart for cleaning. In a relatively short time it can have lead build up.

If you have any 300 Blackout questions or questions about shooting lead feel free to ask.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I am quite a ways away (Nasvhille area).  I will be using the Hornady Sizing and Seating Die, and I also have the Lee crimp die.  I have only tested cutting off about 15 cases just to get where I have to trim off as little as possible.  I am using a Little Crow trimmer to trim them to length and then I will clean and debur them.  I haven't tried seating a bullet yet to know how much I need to bell them or use a larger expander ball.  I will try them soon and order whatever is needed if it doesn't work as expected.

Do you remember what hardness your bullets were from them?  Mine are 20 Brinnell and I think they used to be 18.  Hopefully the extra bit of hardness will help a little.  I guess all I can do it try them and see what happens.

My suppressor does come apart for cleaning.  I made sure to get one that came apart and that also has stainless baffles, so I am hoping it will be fairly easy to clean.  It is actually a 9mm suppressor so it is only rated for Subsonic 300 BLK, but that is all I had intended on shooting anyway.

What Model Savage are you using?

Edited by Hozzie

I have one with a vortex diamondback optic. Shoot mostly 110 barnes and 125 nosler. Only issue I have had is will not eject cases at times. I know there are some aftermarket extractors to fix this just haven't got around to it. This will be my deer gun this season.

Thanks for the info.  I guess you are happy with accuracy?  It doesn't really need to be that accurate for me as I will not be using it for hunting most likely.   I have plenty of other guns for that.  I just really want it as a host to play with my suppressor, but I in the end accuracy is always good.