LA Police Gear "Mystery Bag" $9.99 Each

GlockSpock

I've been out of town and just checked my bags:

#1 -  5.11 Watch Cap and a SOG combination fire starter/sharpener

#2 -  5.11 Watch Cap and 100 ft. of 7 strand Paracord 

Sorry, no picture.  Lots to do and very little time. 

• Like 1

Look, a package!

JTL2aKH.jpg?2

What's inside?

jTfSbu7.jpg?1

Trash Bags! Woot!

oh wait, there's stuff in them!

30dLvWT.jpg?1

Two 5.11 watch caps (awesome, because I needed a new winter hat, and it was cold today!) a sweet patch that I've already given to a friend of mine who is a Metro Officer, and has been gearing up for deployment to Afghanistan, and a 5.11 double mag pouch that attaches to MOLLE.

All in all, not bad. Would I have bought the hats? Probably not, but they're useful. I was going to get a patch for my buddy anyway, so that's perfect, and a better patch than I probably would have bought him. The hats also have a bonus, they're reversible with loop backing opposite the 5.11 logo, I'll stick a patch on one, probably give the other to another friend of mine who is helping me with a small welding project.

Edited by cj0e
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I dont think anyone got ripped, those hats do go for 7 or 8 bucks, the water bottles are usually promotional or free, but to be honest. I could put together 20 bags for 10 bucks each that could do better than that. As could many here. Almost jumped in, when I saw all the "Probably hats" I didnt. I dont wear just any hat. My hats are clothes, be like LA Police picking out my shirt and pants. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Look, a package!

JTL2aKH.jpg?2

What's inside?

jTfSbu7.jpg?1

Trash Bags! Woot!

oh wait, there's stuff in them!

30dLvWT.jpg?1

Two 5.11 watch caps (awesome, because I needed a new winter hat, and it was cold today!) a sweet patch that I've already given to a friend of mine who is a Metro Officer, and has been gearing up for deployment to Afghanistan, and a 5.11 double mag pouch that attaches to MOLLE.

All in all, not bad. Would I have bought the hats? Probably not, but they're useful. I was going to get a patch for my buddy anyway, so that's perfect, and a better patch than I probably would have bought him. The hats also have a bonus, they're reversible with loop backing opposite the 5.11 logo, I'll stick a patch on one, probably give the other to another friend of mine who is helping me with a small welding project.

Now the watch caps I would wear. The caps and pouch were worth more than 10 bucks. Ball caps, not so much.

Meh

5.11 Toc logo hat

LA Police Gear Tac Hat

(2) Maxpedition aluminum water bottles

Think I got what I paid for, as always, could have been better.

image_zps98ee22eb.jpg

If anyone wants to make half their money back, I'll give $5 for one of the hats. Just a thought

PM me your address and I'll send the one on the left.

• 3 months later...
I didn't participate last time because they were already sold out. But I just checked their site now and it didn't say limit of 2 anywhere. Nor did it show pics or a detailed list with specific quantities of all the good stuff to be sprinkled in, and I didn't see a maximum number of bags to be sold. So the odds of finding a valuable item in any bag were impossible to calculate this time around, but I still purchased 9 kits, just enough to get free shipping, and I hope to get enough cool stuff to giveaway to friends, family, and students which alone will make it worth the investment. If I get more than that then it's a true blessing.
  • Moderators
[quote name="wileecoyote" post="1122658" timestamp="1394464315"]I didn't participate last time because they were already sold out. But I just checked their site now and it didn't say limit of 2 anywhere. Nor did it show pics or a detailed list with specific quantities of all the good stuff to be sprinkled in, and I didn't see a maximum number of bags to be sold. So the odds of finding a valuable item in any bag were impossible to calculate this time around, but I still purchased 9 kits, just enough to get free shipping, and I hope to get enough cool stuff to giveaway to friends, family, and students which alone will make it worth the investment. If I get more than that then it's a true blessing.[/quote] Wow. Will be very curious to see what you get, and jealous if you get something awesome! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 4 weeks later...

My 9 mystery grab bags arrived a few weeks ago and I forgot to post the details of what I received, so here is the full report for those who were curious or might consider this deal when offered in the future:

All 9 bags were packed in a single large cardboard box which arrived via UPS in great condition. Each bag was a plastic LA Police Gear shopping bag about 16" square, and they were stapled shut. Each bag was labeled with a number in black marker on the outside from 1-9, either representing my total of 9 bags or perhaps a variety indicator so the shipping department could make sure that none of my bags contained the exact same items without knowing for sure what they were sending me. So here is what my 9 bags contained:

• Every bag contained a single postcard with a special coupon code for 10% off my next LAPG order. Each code was complex and different so presumably they are unique and can only be used once, which means I can use the discount on my next 9 orders, or give them out to friends. While probably nothing special, this definitely represents at least a little value as I will most likely order something from them again at least once, and I will probably hand a few cards out to friends. So I figure these cards represent a future savings of roughly $25 total, perhaps much more.
  • Every bag contained exactly 2 gift items which were different from each other, so I received 18 total gift items not counting the discount cards or the plastic bags themselves (which can be re-used if the staples are removed carefully).
  • Of the 18 total gift items, I only had 2 items which were repeated for a total quantity of 2 each, and 1 of these repeated items was pretty cool so I really only had 1 repeat item that was of marginal value and even that item was still useful. So the bags get an A+ rating for variety and surprise factor.
  • The exact gift items are listed below along with the actual retail price of what each item was selling for on Amazon or a similar retail site if someone had it cheaper than Amazon, which was rare as Amazon had the best price on nearly everything. Items listed in ascending value, saving the best for last.
    • Qty. 2 - Ruckpack Combat Nutrition Energy Shot Bottle - Used by US Special Forces ($2.79 each)
    • Qty. 1 - LAPG Pocket Trauma Pack ($5.00)
    • Qty. 1 - ESBIT Emergency Folding Pack Stove w/Fuel Tabs ($6.04)
    • Qty. 1 - SharpNEasy 2-step Ceramic Knife Sharpener ($6.39)
    • Qty. 1 - Rayovac 12-pack AA Alkaline Batteries ($6.84)
    • Qty. 1 - 5.11 Tactical Morale Patch - Shot Skull ($6.99)
    • Qty. 1 - Coghlan's Read-in-the-dark Compass w/LED Light ($7.85)
    • Qty. 1 - NDuR Utility Flame 2-pack Fuel ($7.92)
    • Qty. 1 - Streamlight NANO Light LED DEL ($8.18)
    • Qty. 1 - Swedish FireSteel Mini - Orange ($8.94)
    • Qty. 2 - 5-Star Gear #550 Nylon Mil-spec Para-cord - 100 Feet - Coyote Color ($8.99 each)
    • Qty. 1 - NEBO NU13L LED Pocket Light w/Sharp Edged Striking Cap and Pocket Clip ($9.32)
    • Qty. 1 - Leatherman Brewzer Stainless Steel Keychain Multi-tool ($9.88)
    • Qty. 1 - LAPG Baseball Cap w/Military OD Green American Flag ($9.99)
    • Qty. 1 - ORAL I.V. Rapid Hydration Concentrate 4-pack ($11.99)
    • Qty. 1 - Coast HP4 Waterproof LED Pen Light 95 Lumens w/Pocket Clip ($24.29)

So the grand total of all 18 gift items was $153.18 if purchased at the best possible price on the internet, but if I had to purchase all of those items from the separate sources I would surely have spent at least $22 in shipping, so I figure the entire package of 18 gift items was actually worth about $175. Then add in the $25 future value of the LAPG discount cards and the entire package of 9 mystery bags was worth roughly $200 total. I only paid $89.91 to LAPG and got free shipping on the order, so I essentially got all of the items above for a 65% discount off the normal retail prices. Even if you don't count the LAPG discount cards I still got 2 items per bag with an average retail value of $20 per bag, and I only spent $9.99 per bag so this would still be a 50% savings.

For me the bottom line was that all of the items were high quality major brands with very positive reviews, and are things that I will actually use or know someone that will use and appreciate them. The only items I didn't really care for were the Ruckpack Energy Shots which I will use but wouldn't buy again, as I can always find similar or better energy shots at Dollar Tree or local stores for less, and the ORAL I.V. product which had pretty good reviews on Amazon but I also found a controversial Youtube report which claimed that it contains nothing but saline water so I wouldn't buy that product at any price unless the manufacturer publishes the actual contents.

So yes I was pleased with my purchase and I will probably order more bags whenever LAPG does this again in the future. I just wish LAPG would publish the total # of bags to be sold and the total # of valuable items to be included randomly, so we know what chance we have of striking major pay dirt.