Anyone have a gmc canyon/chevy colorado?

Sam1

Although I hate to get rid of ol' trusty blue (98 s10), we need something with 4wd for winter time.  I was looking to get another s10, just in 4wd but those are more expensive than the canyons and colorados even though they're older.

Anyways, found a couple around at a reasonable price and was curious to if you all had one, what are the common issues to look for when I go check these out?  Am just asking for input on model specific issues, not general mechanics - have that stuff covered.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought my son a 2004 Colorado about a year and a half ago. It's a 4 cyl, manual transmission 2WD extra cab. Truck has about 130K miles on it.

The truck ran very rough when I got it. Pulled off the throttle body and it was gummed up pretty bad. Got the TB cleaned up, installed new plugs, filters, etc. Runs like a champ now.

Here are issues I have run into:

• The AC/heater fan is very loud (and ticks). I read where Chevy designed some kind of insulated cover to fit over the motor to help quiet it down.
  • There is a security system built into the ignition (Passlock I think its called). Every once in a while the system will trip and the truck won't start. The starter will crank but the engine won't turn over. You have to wait 5-10 minutes for the system to reset and then try again. Only happend a handful of times but it's aggravationg when it does. No idea what causes it.
  • The passenger side doors will not seal completely when shut. You can hear the wind whistling when you sit in the passengers seat. From what I've read this is very common with these trucks.
  • And finally here is the most aggravating issue by far. When the weather is wet and the temp is near freezing the parking brake cables are prone to icing up and won't release. Imagine driving home in freezing, wet conditions, parking the truck for the night, come out the next morning to take off and the parking brake won't release. Not a good start to your day. Again, this seems to be a common issue and about all you can do is wait for it to warm up and thaw out a bit.

I've never owned an S-10 so I have no point of reference, but the fit, finish and quality of materials on the Colorado is very cheap. The console armrest is an absolute joke. Whatever the lid is lined with melts into a black goo during warm weather and stciks to anything you put in it.

So, all that being said the truck has been very reliable mechanically. Can't say I've had any drivetrain issues since I got the engine tuned up. Just issues noted above.

Hope this helps.

My company quit buying them after 2006 due to their week front ends. Constantly having wheel bearings, ball joints, axles fail. Also had rear differential issues.

Now in all fairness we drive in 4 wheel drive more often than I'm sure you would, which stresses the front end more. And we dive on dirt/gravel roads more than you. So take that for what it's worth. I still think I would by a ford ranger before the canyon.
I have no experience with the Canyon/Colorado line, but have had 3 different S10 vehicles and have been thoroughly satisfied with all of them. First was an 85 S10 2dr Blazer with the 2.8 v6. Very good little truck, good mileage and power for what it was. Bought an 89 model body of the same one with a blown engine and had a transplant done to it. Also a pretty good little truck. Sold them both when I bought a 98, 4.3engine, with 4 doors and 4wd. Great ride and drive. Wasn't the best on mileage at around 16, even less in 4wheel.

Had the 98 until the 2010 floods and my insurance totaled for water damage. I looked for another to replace it, but didn't find one in the condition and price I wanted.

All things considered, I think the S trucks were very good, and if you find one at a fair price, could be a good choice.

I will say though, that before my retirement, I worked part sales to mech shops and body shops; and the comments on them weren't nearly as nice from the techs as the older S10 series.
My 04 Colorado is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. It's got the inline 5 (severely underpowered) and 4WD Z71 package. Constant problems. About every 10th start, it won't turn over.

Let it sit for about 30 mins and then it starts. I've replaced all the spark plugs and starter coils. The thing throws more engine codes than I've ever seen. I mean I now own a code reader because almost every week I have to check it. Replaced the transmission ($2800) after about 110,000.

Constant lighting/electrical issues. I don't have the money to replace it with what I want (a real truck AKA a Ford diesel). I never should have sold my 01 F250 7.3L 6 speed manual super duty. Biggest regret of my life man.
I bought a 2009 new while I was deployed overseas. I bought it thinking I was getting a nice truck. I was happy for about 3 days until I started to notice the cheaply popped together interior, thin fabric, and overall lack of GM to build a solid truck. I had it for all of about 8 months until a drunk collided into it, her Honda was built better than my pos. I don't know how GM is in business today, in that 8 months almost the entire front end got replaced to include almost every sensor because of the Check engine light, as well the transmission could not handle pulling a riding mower once a week. Did I mention that it would overheat? The rear axle sounded like a popcorn machine, it wore tires on the front really bad, and the dealer said that the ball joints on these bind under pressure.

I drive an Exterra now, it feels like it is 10 times the vehicle the Canyon was, the Tacoma I had after the Canyon was better than the Xterra. The Tacoma's 2.7 4cyl was a beast compared to the Canyon's 3.7.

My family had been buying GM products for 50 plus years, no one in my family has bought one since. Their quality is non existent, while the dealer(s) had been good with warranty repairs, who can give their truck up for a week at a time for repairs.

I have a 2005 Colorado LS Z71 4dr. The only issues I have ever had with the truck was electrical. The instrument lights flicker at times and the 3rd brake light, after some time will leak like a sieve but I just put a new gasket and it fixes it for a time. It has the I5 engine and for my use pulling what only should be pulled by a midsize truck it does well. Gas mileage is meager at best. I have gotten as much as 24mpg but regularly get 18. The TBI gets gummed up but is an easy enough maintenance type of fix. All in all I love my truck. I have owned Chevrolets my whole life starting with my first one at 15, 1980 2wd stepside (275,000m), in 1995 I bought my WT1500 (180,000m) and now my 05. I am proud to say I'm nearly 41 and those are the only vehicles I've personally owned. Well now I also have a 95 Toyota Tercel (197,000m) lovingly called the turtle that I drive only because it gets around 36mpg. :)