Newbie questions? Is this going to work? SW Model 640 for CCW?

Ladyhay

Ya know, with the children, I don't know that I want it in my purse, or my car, or anywhere but on me.  One reason is them going through the purse, it has never been restricted territory- gum, candy, quarters, etc. The other is violence is not my only concern, but animals. Especially snakes and dogs.  They know to run from snakes fine enough, but the girl has been attacked by a dog that I was able to get off of her, and then me without too much difficulty- but it could have gone the other way, easily. 

A company called Galco makes very nice purses with hidden zippered compartments on the side just for conceal carry. In fact, the entire purse is crafted around your gun more or less. My wife has several and loves them. Other ladies often compliment her purses, not knowing what they actually are.

http://www.galcogunleather.com/handbags-for-concealed-carry_8_149.html  

I am keeping the weapon on me. 

Still going to look at those purses in case I cannot wear my weapon, though, for whatever reason. But I know me, and I know when it counted, I wouldn't be able to find my purse. 

I am off to find where classes are announced.  I took the concealed class already, I was hoping to find one with more range instruction, especially for women.

The SW folks were great.

The gun is a model 38, steel cylinder like you said, and made around 1976.  They gave me some different recommendations on ammo, and some said it was going to be painful, or at least make hands sore, and others said no big deal.  They overwhelmingly recommended standard pressure 148-158 wadcutter ammo. 

I am going to a couple of gun shops today, kids in tow.

Headed out to the farm this Monday if no range time before then. 

I am sure I will come home today wanting one of each of what I see :)  Poor husband, he may not be 100% on board but he humors me and I know it bothered him when I did not like his gift (Glock). 

• Like 2

If you don't care for the Glock, you shouldn't be scared away by the idea that a small revolver will have too much recoil.  My wife has no problem shooting factory loads in .38 special through a short barrel revolver.  We started with the "cowboy" loads from Georgia Arms which are even better.  She also doesn't care for my Glocks at all.  You have to remember that recoil is subjective and in a lot of ways more mental than physical.  You're really learning to overcome the natural instinct to jump away from something that has a loud bang, flash and a jump in your hand.  To some degree, I think the actual amount of force generated is secondary to how comfortable you are with the firearm of your choice... For example, my wife is comfortable with her revolver...how it operates and how it feels in her hand.  So for her, she it has less recoil than any of my Glocks.  She can handle my Glock 17; although she says she just doesn't like it.  She has put exactly one round through my Glock 27 (this is the smallest .40), before laying it on the shooting bench and declaring it a "cannon" that she would never shoot again.  I am convinced that the action of a semi-automatic reduces felt recoil, but my wife is more comfortable with a revolver so I'm not going to push this issue... We have two small kids at home and she doesn't get to go to the range often so I've decided not to waste any additional time trying to get her to shoot semi-autos.  For now, I'm just going to try and locate some more "cheap" .38 (which seems to be getting more difficult), and just remind her again that I'm willing to watch the kids when she's ready to take a class...