CZ Shotguns

KaNuckles

Does anybody know if any gun stores in or around the Nashville area carry CZ shotguns? Specifically over/unders. Thinking about my first o/u and I would like to check them out. Also considering a used Citori or Red Label. But I would like to check out a CZ. The price point is pretty sweet for the supposed quality you are getting.

I'm not in Nashville, but I see them around here.  Nice looking Turkish imports, but I know a couple people who have recently sent back their CZ shotguns (1 auto, 1 O/U).  They put a new bolt in the auto and replaced the entire O/U gun.  Great customer service, no doubt, but I prefer well-known companies with little or no customer service feedback (because no one has needed their customer service). 

Having said all that, I recently got a Franchi Instinct O/U.  It's Italian-made and is only $150 or so more than the CZ.  Ruger is re-introducing the Red Label for ~$1000-1100.  I have no experience with them, but a high school trap coach friend says to run from them, old or new.  Grain of salt--this is the same guy who told me to get a Browning or a Beretta if I wanted to save money.  Also, Winchester re-introduced the Model 101.  It's a Belgian-made FN and is roughly $1000.  I handled one and loved it, but the Franchi pointed a lot more naturally for me. 

• Like 1

Have a couple SxS's, no O/U's atm =/.

No O/U's at all or just no CZ's. I'm not married to the CZ. the price point os pretty darn good, though.

I'm not in Nashville, but I see them around here.  Nice looking Turkish imports, but I know a couple people who have recently sent back their CZ shotguns (1 auto, 1 O/U).  They put a new bolt in the auto and replaced the entire O/U gun.  Great customer service, no doubt, but I prefer well-known companies with little or no customer service feedback (because no one has needed their customer service). 

Having said all that, I recently got a Franchi Instinct O/U.  It's Italian-made and is only $150 or so more than the CZ.  Ruger is re-introducing the Red Label for ~$1000-1100.  I have no experience with them, but a high school trap coach friend says to run from them, old or new.  Grain of salt--this is the same guy who told me to get a Browning or a Beretta if I wanted to save money.  Also, Winchester re-introduced the Model 101.  It's a Belgian-made FN and is roughly $1000.  I handled one and loved it, but the Franchi pointed a lot more naturally for me. 

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Franchi, too. I don't know a whole lot about any of them except what I read in reviews and such.

Bass Pro sometimes has a Franchi in stock.  A 20 seems easier to find than a 12.  Mine is a 20 and so far, so good.  My $60 Mec 600 Jr. (used) will soon be cranking out 20 ga. AA super-sport clones.  Skeet shooting goodness!

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

I've not heard great things about the quality control on the CZs. They are made by Huglu and I've read/heard about lots of parts having to be replaced and guns sent back for warranty.

With that said I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a O/U. I like the reissue of the Ruger Red Label but they aren't making it in 20 gauge right now. I'm looking at the Citori and the Beretta Silver Pigeon but I'd rather find something a little cheaper.

I've not heard great things about the quality control on the CZs. They are made by Huglu and I've read/heard about lots of parts having to be replaced and guns sent back for warranty.

With that said I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a O/U. I like the reissue of the Ruger Red Label but they aren't making it in 20 gauge right now. I'm looking at the Citori and the Beretta Silver Pigeon but I'd rather find something a little cheaper.

Not sure about all the "he said, she said", but I bought a CZ Canvasback O/U eight years ago and shot a weekly skeet league with it with zero problems for two years. In other words, I've put a lot of lead down the tubes. The fit and finish is outstanding considering the price, as is the Turkish walnut. I also owned a Ruger Red Label, which never fit me right, and sold it after I bought the CZ. I then bought a Beretta Silver Onyx because I thought I needed a 'fancy' gun. Kept it a year, and sold it because my CZ was still my go to gun.

So here's one CZ owner that says "Theyrrrrrrrre Great!" :up:

• Like 2

Does anybody know if any gun stores in or around the Nashville area carry CZ shotguns? Specifically over/unders. Thinking about my first o/u and I would like to check them out. Also considering a used Citori or Red Label. But I would like to check out a CZ. The price point is pretty sweet for the supposed quality you are getting.

KaNuckles, I just noticed that you're in Dickson. If you don't mind a road trip, Whittaker Guns in Owensboro is one of the largest CZ dealers I know of. He has a rack of them anytime I've gone in there. That's where I bought my Canvasback, which is a 20 gauge btw. Check their Website....Whittakerguns.com I think...

• Like 1

Not sure about all the "he said, she said", but I bought a CZ Canvasback O/U eight years ago and shot a weekly skeet league with it with zero problems for two years. In other words, I've put a lot of lead down the tubes. The fit and finish is outstanding considering the price, as is the Turkish walnut. I also owned a Ruger Red Label, which never fit me right, and sold it after I bought the CZ. I then bought a Beretta Silver Onyx because I thought I needed a 'fancy' gun. Kept it a year, and sold it because my CZ was still my go to gun.

So here's one CZ owner that says "Theyrrrrrrrre Great!" :up:

Glad yours has worked great for you. Hope I made it clear that all of my insights were based on hearsay and not personal experience. I had just heard enough questionable things that I wasn't going to take a chance with it. Plus, I've been to Turkey a couple of times and seen the Huglu's in their natural environment and wasn't impressed.

• Like 1

I appreciate the replies. Whitaker has one helluva selection. I think that's the place everybody tells me i need to check out all the time. I see a road trip in my future. I may have to swing by Sumner and see what y'all have on the way. I really think the CZ is worth taking a chance on for the price point.