Buying a Savage action?

CM1021

Anybody know where I can buy a Savage action? I'm wanting to do a .260 build and I have a few Savages and they're super easy to change calibers on. Now I'm just trying to find a stripped action for a decent price. I know I can buy them from brownell's and places like that but the actions are almost a whole new rifle. I would like it to be a model 10 but is there a difference between say the 11/110/111/10? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the action is three digits like 110, 112, 114, etc then it is a long action regardless of caliber. If it only has two digits like 10, 11, 12, 14 then it is a short action. And with short actions there are two versions, a 4.275" spacing and a 4.4" spacing. The easiest way to tell is if it has a cocking indicator at the rear of the bolt. Another way is if the bolt release is on the front of the trigger guard vs on the side. And some 4.4" actions do have the release on the side. And finally if the action has a removable magazine then it is a 4.4" action unless the magazine setup is aftermarket.

I will caution to stay away from guns with accustocks if you plan on building the gun. They are fine from the factory but present some unique challenges for a builder.

You might try pawn shops because I have found short action rifles for around $200 and long actions for under $300. I will say that if you are working up a gun for accuracy I would try to find actions that have a round back receiver. A decade ago Savage changed owners and quite warrantying any previous versions which had the square backs. I will also say that the round backs tend to be more square and more consistent as far as dimensions go.

And finally, DO NOT go with a Axis or Edge no matter how good the price is. They shoot well and are decent guns from the factory but there is ZERO aftermarket support for them.

Jim at Northland sells stripped actions as well as everything to build them up to complete guns. Here is his info:

Contact Information for Northland Shooters Supply:
E-mail: briggs.j-b@q.com (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone: (763) 682-4296
Fax: (763) 682-6098
Mailing address:
P.O. Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Thanks for the replies. I have a model 10 now that I bought stock and worked off of. I would like to stay with the same action. I want the side bolt release not the bottom with the 4.4" spacing. And I won't be using an axis it edge action either Edited by CM1021
  • 2 weeks later...

I happened upon these and they are my next big purchase.

http://mdttac.com/mdt-lss-chassis-for-savage.html

I will mill the bottom of the action for the magazine. I will add a folding stock and have a nice tidy package capable of reaching out.

Why, why did I have to click on that link. 

Picked up a Savage 10P-SR with a 18.5" barrel on Christmas Eve and that would make for a nice setup for it.