22 Ammo Shortage

I think the last sentence should have read "if 153 people in each state buy a store imposed limit of 3 boxes each day, this will dry up the entire supply as it's manufactured."

At any rate this does make a lot of sense if true.

That's obviously not fair except to the 153 people, so we need to unpackage the rounds and sell 2 bullets per household per day.

hording is what making it short for the rest of us.  

Those evil ammo hoarders!  It's like they're the 1% hoarding all that money that the occupy wall street group was protesting.  We should start our own group and demand that the 1% get less, and give it to us 99%'ers.

hope everyone can sense the sarcasm  :squint:

• Like 1

I don't believe this is a temporary increase in demand. The first reason is due to the substantial increase in new shooters coupled with the large increase in large capacity .22LR rifles and .22LR conversion kits. There is also a change in mindset now regarding sufficient supplies of ammo to maintain at home that will take years of sufficient supplies on store shelves at reasonable prices to change. The manufacturer that wakes up and realizes this first and invests in expanded capacity will be the one that is best able to capitalize on what I believe is a long term and permanent increase in demand. And if no manufacturer in the U.S. does, then someone overseas will. Otherwise, I am now beginning to think we will continue to have shortages for years if not indefinitely.

It pains me to have to say I agree with you.

I believe the bubble is temporary. Ironically, if the manufacturers felt free to raise their prices to match the increase in demand, it would be more likely they would bring on additional capacity and wouldn't have to worry so much about what happens if demand drops and there's all this excess capacity. The attitude that would cause people to complain about the manufacturers gouging if they raised their prices is what is preventing the manufacturers from stepping-up to the shortage.

Edited by tnguy

All I can say is I waited in a line for 30 minutes, ONCE, for it on a black friday sale an they ran out about 5 people before I made it to the counter.  I was actually at the store to buy a bow and figured i'm here already what the heck.  Won't make that mistake again and I don't even look for it anymore.

I believe the bubble is temporary. Ironically, if the manufacturers felt free to raise their prices to match the increase in demand, it would be more likely they would bring on additional capacity and wouldn't have to worry so much about what happens if demand drops and there's all this excess capacity. The attitude that would cause people to complain about the manufacturers gouging if they raised their prices is what is preventing the manufacturers from stepping-up to the shortage.

I think the price increases are inevitable, as well as necessary, as long as the excess demand remains.  My bet is that pre-existing contractual obligations with the mainstream retailers has thus far precluded much increase in prices; as new contracts are signed, higher prices will follow.  Capitalism 101 ...

• Like 1