any hog hunting near Nashville

There are some around the Sparta area so I would assume one might could find them around Crossville as well. Problem is than you pretty much have to know a landowner that has them on his/her property to legally kill hogs in TN. You would have to know them well enough that they would set you up on a list with the TWRA because they are no longer considered a "game" species here. As people began to see the chance to make money selling hog hunts they started trapping them and moving them to their own property so that they could charge folks to hunt them. TWRA's answer to this was to make it illegal to "hunt" them in order to demagnetize the trapping and relocation on them but I guess they totally missed the fact that they are already here and reproduce quicker than any rabbit on the planet so they have basically guaranteed everyone in the state, that with some patience they to will have their property over run with the destructive beast. Should have just offered a reward to anyone that had been charged or had someone attempt to charge them to hunt hogs for turning that person in. But there again, who am I to know. 

There are a couple of lodges in Cookeville and Crossville that specialize in hog hunting. Paid hunt, but it's a ton of fun. I've hunted with Caryonah and Loshbough.... both have good facilities and guides. I'm partial to Loshbough... bigger hunting area and in my experience, bigger hogs.

There are a couple of lodges in Cookeville and Crossville that specialize in hog hunting. Paid hunt, but it's a ton of fun. I've hunted with Caryonah and Loshbough.... both have good facilities and guides. I'm partial to Loshbough... bigger hunting area and in my experience, bigger hogs.

How do they get around the law in order to charge folks to hunt them? Is it fenced in?
  • Like 1

How do they get around the law in order to charge folks to hunt them? Is it fenced in?

Those lodges were established many years ago and obtained exemption from TWRA and from the USDA to continue their breeding and guide hunting services. Yes, they are fenced to contain their hogs. Natural breeding occurs on their property which keeps it stocked. I know a guy here who wanted to open a "pay to hunt" hog facility and his application to TWRA got denied in part due to the new regs.

The only issue I have about those places is if you shoot a trophy boar, more than likely he will stink so bad as you won't want to eat it. That's a lot of money to pay to kill a pig to put his head on the wall. You'll have no choice but to settle for a Taxidermy mount. If they'll let you take a sow or young boar...that's meat in the freezer!

Dave

Those lodges were established many years ago and obtained exemption from TWRA and from the USDA to continue their breeding and guide hunting services. Yes, they are fenced to contain their hogs. Natural breeding occurs on their property which keeps it stocked. I know a guy here who wanted to open a "pay to hunt" hog facility and his application to TWRA got denied in part due to the new regs.

The only issue I have about those places is if you shoot a trophy boar, more than likely he will stink so bad as you won't want to eat it. That's a lot of money to pay to kill a pig to put his head on the wall. You'll have no choice but to settle for a Taxidermy mount. If they'll let you take a sow or young boar...that's meat in the freezer!

Dave

I see. Figured there was something I was missing there. I'd hate to know if paid good money and couldn't stand to eat the meat. Down in FL where we took one a week ago the landowner or one of his sons took a huge boar before we got there. He stunk so bad that they drug him off into the swamp and left him there for the coyotes and buzzards. Dave I'm gonna send you a pm about curing the bacon we saved.

Talk to the folks at Loshbough. I've taken meat hogs off there as well as boars... kinda expensive as pork chops go, but still a ton of fun.

You are correct though, most of those big russian boars aren't suitable for anything but taxidermy.

• Like 1

Talk to the folks at Loshbough. I've taken meat hogs off there as well as boars... kinda expensive as pork chops go, but still a ton of fun.

You are correct though, most of those big russian boars aren't suitable for anything but taxidermy.

Unless a person just wants the rush of coming face to face with a wild Russian boar to get a shot on a possible trophy of a lifetime, a "meat hog" is the way to go! I will say that coming face to face with a 300 + pound boar snapping his jaws and teeth at you, is an experience you won't forget anytime soon! It's a rush from hell!!!!

And, for a real rush, find you a sow with piglets and chase down and catch one of the little piglets and let it start squeeling like there is no tomorrow. That will test your running skills! Don't ask how I know this...lol

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2

Unless a person just wants the rush of coming face to face with a wild Russian boar to get a shot on a possible trophy of a lifetime, a "meat hog" is the way to go! I will say that coming face to face with a 300 + pound boar snapping his jaws and teeth at you, is an experience you won't forget anytime soon! It's a rush from hell!!!!

And, for a real rush, find you a sow with piglets and chase down and catch one of the little piglets and let it start squeeling like there is no tomorrow. That will test your running skills! Don't ask how I know this...lol

Dave

Willlburrrr!   (sorry.... :stick: "that just ain't right Bert!!" )

<edit> ("and Lord, bless all the little pygmies..") 

<next edit> DAMMIT Bert!   :stick:

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Dave

Annnnnnd now i'm second guessing hitting the woods in search of hogs with you Dave! ;) Just kidding, it actually sounds like a good time so long as everyone is well prepared and equipped.

• Like 1

Im going back AGAIN to Loshbough on March 15 to hunt. I go every year, never got a Hog/boar that I couldn't eat! TONS of fun!Tommy is the best guide there. And yes it's totally a friggin rush when you get charged!! Hope you're a good and quick shot........I know first hand! :up:

• Like 1

Any of you guys have a Netflix subscription? If so you should watch "Pig Bomb" it's about the changing hog "climate" in the U.S. not only about the shear population explosion but also the pigs taking on more and more of the Eurasian Boar traits and characteristics. Are they evolving to suit their wild lifestyle or is it the result of folks importing the Russian boar and turning them loose? I'm personally sold that it's a combination. Definitely a must watch for anyone interested it the hog progression.

That's a very good program. They ran it on TV for awhile I think on animal planet. That very thing is happening as we speak!

Dave

Yes it was an animal planet show. We don't have cable or satellite so if we can't watch it with netflix or bunny ears we just do without.
I feel like this should be played in front of the powers that be with the TWRA or whoever came up with the whole hog not being a game animal thing. They are going to let them cover us up like they have in Florida, Texas, Alabama etc.. and then once it's to late they will change it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.