Pondering my next rifle purchase - thoughts?

viscero

What would you buy next?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which rifle would you buy next?

• M1903-A3
    • Mauser K98/M48/M24-47
    • FN-49
    • SMLE MkIII
    • FN-FAL parts kit and receiver
    • Russian/Yugo SKS
    • M91/30 Hex receiver or PU sniper
    • Hold out for an M91

So the agreement with my better half is one rifle and 1 pistol per calendar year.  We are heading into tax return season and I just received my rifle from last year (a CMP M1 Garand) so I have been thinking a lot the last couple of days about what I should go for next.  I have a short list of the one's on the top of my mind but it is getting harder to choose just one.  I am more of a mil-surp kind of guy so most of what I'm after isn't exactly practical on the ammo availability end of the scale so don't let that be a major factor in your overall opinion.  So, here's the list and my initial thoughts on each one:

• M1903-A3 - now that I am in the .30-06 club this sort of makes sense but it is tipping the scales on the budget and may have to skip the pistol purchase if I go this route for this year.
  • K98/M48/M24-47 - I still do not have a true mauser in my collection.  I would probably steer more towards the Yugo's here.  I also do not currently stock 8mm Mauser ammo so this would be a new caliber to buy for as well.
  • FN-49 (8mm) - I like the gun overall but this is probably nearer to the bottom of my list overall.  Also the 8mm ammo investment being a concern as well.
  • Enfield SMLE MkIII - I already have a No. 4 and I would like to have the .303 Ishapore look-alike as well.
  • FN-FAL - I don't really do much in the .308/7.62x51 realm these days but I used to have a very pristine Israeli Heavy Barrel kit built on an enterprise receiver a million years ago.  At one point I sold it and have sort of regretted it a little since.  I could probably squeeze out a nice Imbel parts kit and receiver but that would necessitate skipping a pistol purchase this year much the same way the 1903 would.  This would also sit for a while and wouldn't get built right away as it would take some more money down the line for the proper smithing or tools to do it myself.
  • SKS - I have a good looking Norinco spiker from back in the day but would like a nice Russian, Yugo, or even a really nice Type 56 to go along with it; preferrably Russian though.
  • Mosin 91/30 - Have a standard round receiver and a nice M44 from a while back but was thinking of a hex or maybe even stepping up to a PU version.
  • M91 - have been hearing for a while that Zastava would be bringing in the M91 and if they did you can pretty much throw the rest of this list right out the window.  I am hearing now that they will be here this spring but that's been said a couple of times already in the past.

Hit up the poll and/or post comments below and thanks for the feedback!

Edited by viscero
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic