Anyone ever deal with Carmax?

Guest jwp

Like the title asks, have any of the fine members ever dealt with Carmax?

What have your experiences been?

I have a friend who is looking for a new(ish) car and I think he has exhausted his options with all the local dealers and is now about to get into bed with them. He asked me my opinion, but I withheld it due to the fact that I have very bitter feelings toward "big box" retail and what it has, and is, doing to the small dealers in all areas of retail.

Anyway, he does check in here from time to time and will see what is said and make up his own mind.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

I shopped there, Nice cars, friendly folks....but they are like they advertise...there is NO haggleing any part (at least for me) they would not budge on trade in amounts, costs, or anything...I bought elsewhere.

Bought our van from them, no haggle price, but they did give us a good price on the Expedition we traded. We had spent 4 hours at a dealer and they wouldn't work with us so we walked out. Carmax overall deal met our needs that we were looking for. (payment). Their prices on stuff seem to be as good or better on some things.

I haven't bought from them, but I did sell one. It was a pleasant experience. First though, let me give you a little back-story...

My now-ex-wife and I were looking to get rid of her 2003 Saturn Ion a couple of years ago after we bought a Chevy Tahoe from my Dad. Saturn of Knoxville sent us a mailer claiming that they were willing to pay us cash, so we went there first. We were offered what we thought was fair, signed the papers, and left the car, keys, and title while being told that we should expect to receive our check in about 3 days. What we got, however, was a phone call telling us that they were no longer interested in purchasing the car, and that we needed to come pick it up. After 3 full days! When we went back to get answers, we were told that the owner of the dealership (Tom Hodge) had reviewed the terms of our agreement and vetoed it. When I spoke with him in person, he was extremely rude and insulting, and he told us there was nothing we could do but take our car back home. Needless to say, I caused quite a scene, and I will never do business with those scumbags ever again.

The next week, we took the car to CarMax, got our offer (the same as Saturn's), and went home with a check in hand. Nice, professional folks. Wish I had gone there first.

Guest abailey362
I shopped there, Nice cars, friendly folks....but they are like they advertise...there is NO haggleing any part (at least for me) they would not budge on trade in amounts, costs, or anything...I bought elsewhere.

wasn't just for you. I've hired and trained several of their ex salepeople in a few markets and they have no room to work, even if they lose a deal over it. Heard a few stories which $100 or $200 would have gotten the customer's negative equity to a place where it could be financed and they would not help.

Not saying it's a horrible way to do business, but don't expect to work a deal

I've bought two cars from them, One of which I took back for a full refund after 4 days through no fault of theirs. I bought a '99 4-Runner in 2001 and got a good deal (best in town by comparison) and this year bought the wife a car. We went in for a specific model (German Car) but while preparing to take it out for a test ride, I showed her the car I wanted her to get (Japanese Car) and it only had 7,500 miles on it. I had been pushing this one all along but she couldn't get Mom's car out of her mind (same brand) until she saw this one. Well, it was almost closing time and Carmax does not let you drive a car home for the night but the salesman said we could bring it back within 5 days no questions asked. Well, I really wanted her to get this car and figured if she just drove for a day or so she'd be hooked so we bought it. This all happened on Saturday night and I NEVER buy anything without first doing allot of research regarding models, fair price etc so on Sunday I started having so doubts even though the wife was really loving the car. Anyway, to make a long story short, when I went to the New Car dealership on Monday just to see what new ones were going for, I realized I could probably get a brand new car for the same price and one that had a few more bells and whistles to boot. It did take a couple of days of haggling with the dealer but he finally came around and we took the original car back to Carmax. They didn't even blink an eye but it did take 10 days for them to get me a check via USPS for the purchase amount but they did disclose this to me when we purchased the car. I would definitely buy another car from Carmax again.

Guest utarch00

I have bought two cars there and I am still driving mine. My wifes car that we bought there we recently traded in on something else from somewhere else. Like everybody has stated as long as you are OK with their prices & selection it is a great place to buy from. The only reason we did not buy from them this last time was they did not have what we were looking for.

I just bought a new (to me) truck from Tom Bannen Chevy.

I had gone and found the truck I wanted at Carmax.

The bank officer at my credit union told me that they were about $5000 to high.

Be weary of taking the car home for the 3-5 day test drive, too.

They make you all but finance the car through them before you take it.

When you bring it back, you've all but bought the vehicle.

It's easier to just go ahead and purchase it rather than damage your credit report trying to back out of it.

Just like their add says, they're not like any other car dealer you've encountered.

My wife used to work for a dealership in downtown Nashville, and I thought she was going to have a nervous breakdown until I found my new purchase on another lot.

But, one good thing is that they do only deal in demonstrator cars and lease vehicles....so their inventory is quality.

We sell CARMAX on the average 100 cars a week. They buy a little of everything.

Their buyers are trained in only a few short weeks hence the buying lease turn ins.

Most of these cars are cars that are turned down by franchise dealers BMW VW Audi

GE. Most of the time we repair the obvious and do an oil change. You don't know how the previous owner took care of the car. They try to buy within warranty to forgo

any further problems. The whole market is upside down by about fifty percent.

A CARFAX report is a sham, we use AUTO CHECK which is a lot more accurate. Shop around you can find better deals than CARMAX. But they are a nice bunch of people.

I have bought three vehicles from them; no problems. If you buy there, do NOT use them for service, do NOT buy extended warrenty (from anyone) and do NOT finance there.

To make sure you are not paying too much - which CarMax can charge - on really popular cars, do a thorough Kelly Blue Book or Consumer Report search on the worth of the vehicle you are interested in to know the real value.

Wholesalers use the Black Book or MMR . They are night and day different that

Blue Book or consumer reports. Trucks and SUV's, medium to large are bringing 1/2

of what they should and this is not reflected in the books the normal customer can purchase. Ask for a AUTO CHECK report and look around and shop. Vehicles are

the second largest purchase most of us make.

I bought a Jeep from them a few years ago. I had narrowed down what I wanted to something very specific. No one in town had a used Jeep that met my criteria. Carmax had one -- in Atlanta. For $150, that they apply to the purchase price, they trucked it in.

They were easy to deal with. Good financing and a quick deal.

I personally feel you can usually get a slightly better buy if you are willing to haggle alot and spend a significant amount of time working on a deal.

Wholesalers use the Black Book or MMR . They are night and day different that

Blue Book or consumer reports. Trucks and SUV's, medium to large are bringing 1/2

of what they should and this is not reflected in the books the normal customer can purchase. Ask for a AUTO CHECK report and look around and shop. Vehicles are

the second largest purchase most of us make.

Wayne showed me the painful truth with my own vehicle. (2008 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x4)

I purchased the King Ranch new for 50k in December, and they are selling at auction for 25k right now :D

Its a buyers market if you have money.

Make sure you shop around, and remember that most dealers will each their arm to make a sale.

On Joe's note the best time to buy is the last business day or two before the end of the month. I have never seen it like this right now. A Manager wants to show the most gross they can before the end of the month. A salesman want to earn a paycheck. Don't trade if you can help it sell it out right. If you have decent credit or cash it is a buyers market.

If there is anything I can do to help drop me a line. I know most of the dealers within

a 150 mile radius of Nashville.

I have watched CARMAX buyers pay stupid money for cars at wholesale. Which = Higher cost to end user. My sellers love these guys.

Hell, I do too!!!! $$$$$$

P.S. Joe, sell me that King Ranch for 25K :drama::D:drama:

Edited by R1100R