Parking Lot Storage Bill SB 1700

www.handgunlaw..us is not positive It has the right wording for the new law signed by the Governor on 2/19. What I can find is this from the TN Legislature and the only wording I can find is as an Amendment. I believe this is the bill as signed but not positive. Can anyone point me to a link that shows the bill wording as signed other than this link. Thannk you for any assistance you can give Handgunlaw.us in this matter.   http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA0576.pdf

Edited by Gary Slider
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Drill down to 39-17-13-13. That's the current law that was signed in 2013.

There are some bills being tossed around the TN House and TN Senate to revise that and fix some it's more asinine points. Those are just bills for now, so 39-17-13-13 is the law as it stands today.

Edited by monkeylizard

www.handgunlaw..us is not positive It has the right wording for the new law signed by the Governor on 2/19. What I can find is this from the TN Legislature and the only wording I can find is as an Amendment. I believe this is the bill as signed but not positive. Can anyone point me to a link that shows the bill wording as signed other than this link. Thannk you for any assistance you can give Handgunlaw.us in this matter.   http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA0576.pdf

The amendment referenced was NOT passed.  The bill by Green did not substantially change the bill as passed last year either, one may still be terminated for the act of having a legal firearm in their vehicle on company property if there is a stated policy against keeping a firearm in a vehicle, permit or not.

Edited by Worriedman

The Bill the Governor Signed 2/19 if the wording is the same as on this link. This is SB 1700. Another bill SB 1701  is on the Governors desk is another addition to this law.

IT does clean up the bill and prohibits an employer from banning storage of a firearm on company property in their vehicle. This and some more wording were added to the law, Again if the wording in the link above is the correct wording.  That is why I am trying to find the copy of the bill as signed by the Governor. It does make changes.   http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA0576.pdf

(f) No person, business entity, employer, or governmental entity who is the owner, lessee, or manager of real property shall prohibit, bring criminal charges against, or take any other adverse action against any person transporting or storing personal property pursuant to this section. Any person, business entity, employer, or governmental entity that takes any adverse action, including, but not limited to, firing, disciplining, demoting, or otherwise punishing a person engaging in conduct in compliance with this section shall be liable for civil damages.

Note Editing as I am having trouble putting links in. This board has a specific way to put links in. Not use to that.

Edited by Gary Slider

The Bill the Governor Signed 2/19 if the wording is the same as on this link. This is SB 1700. Another bill SB 1701  is on the Governors desk is another addition to this law.

IT does clean up the bill and prohibits an employer from banning storage of a firearm on company property in their vehicle. This and some more wording were added to the law, Again if the wording in the link above is the correct wording.  That is why I am trying to find the copy of the bill as signed by the Governor. It does make changes.   http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA0576.pdf

(f) No person, business entity, employer, or governmental entity who is the owner, lessee, or manager of real property shall prohibit, bring criminal charges against, or take any other adverse action against any person transporting or storing personal property pursuant to this section. Any person, business entity, employer, or governmental entity that takes any adverse action, including, but not limited to, firing, disciplining, demoting, or otherwise punishing a person engaging in conduct in compliance with this section shall be liable for civil damages.

Note Editing as I am having trouble putting links in. This board has a specific way to put links in. Not use to that.

The amendment was not passed, only the original bill.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1700.pdf

Edited by Worriedman

So just section D was changed in 39-17-1313? That replaced all what was in the original bill which I kept seeing. So not much really changed except that an inadvertent showing of your firearm when storing it  is not a crime.  Thank you. That is what I was trying to find out. The Draft bill would have become effective immediately but this change doesn’t until May 1.   

So just section D was changed in 39-17-1313? That replaced all what was in the original bill which I kept seeing. So not much really changed except that an inadvertent showing of your firearm when storing it  is not a crime.  Thank you. That is what I was trying to find out. The Draft bill would have become effective immediately but this change doesn’t until May 1.   

Btw, if you rely on http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/ for actual statute wording, they don't update it till late in the year, maybe October best I remember.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Correct, as of this time, SB1701 will pass as well, both being sponsored by Senator Mark Green, who is carrying them for the Administration (or Ramsey depending on one's view). It will somewhat re-define the vehicle portion (although poorly), as now it requires a person to own the vehicle he stores a weapon in to be legal.  It really will make no difference either.

Beavers amendment cured the problem, but, they said it fell outside the caption.  Green intimates they will revisit next down, as we can not expect a first each time we snap the ball...

Again, Thank you. I kept seeing the draft bill and saw how it really changed things. But I was not hearing much about it which if those changes had been made it would have most likely been being talked about a whole lot. WIthout that chatter out there I knew something wasn't correct with what I was seeing so this was the best place to ask. Can't beat finding out info from a state chat forum. There are always people in places like this who know exactly what is going on in their state. Thank you again.

I don't think this bill fixed situations where someone with a handgun carry permit is riding in a friend's car as a passenger.  The car must be in the carry permit person's possession from my reading.  I would assume the person with the handgun carry permit must either own the car or be driving the car.