AR15 Manufactured Doubled from 2011 to 2012

runco

I found this interested article on TTAG.  If 2012 doubled over 2011, I wonder what 2013 did triple?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/chris-dumm/atfe-report-ar-15-manufacture-doubled-2011-2012/#more-299423

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/afmer_2012_final_web_report_17jan2014.pdf

Because we’re a few months into 2014, the ATF has just released their annual “Annual Firearms Manufacturing And Export Report” for the calendar year…2012. It’s a year late and a dollar short, so we’re lucky that good news can (in this case) wait . . .

480x320xMk107-1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.kynzA8C

So what’s the good news? It’s that the manufacture of AR-15 pattern rifles more than doubled from CY 2011 to CY 2012, to a paper number of over 825,000. I say ‘paper’ number because that 825K doesn’t include any AR-pattern pistols like this PWS MK107.

576x212xRuger-SR-556-courtesy-.jpg.pages

And it also doesn’t include any Ruger SR-556s like this one. Or any of the ARs manufactured by Remington or Bushmaster. If these manufacturers were included, as well as AR pistols, the number would approach an even million.

504x336xFN-15-web.jpg.pagespeed.ic.p1H4c

Nearly one million ARs produced in a single year.The year before Newtown. And we all know where that number went after Newtown.

518x400xP1066876-e1357619805518-900x694.

It is pretty awesome, if you’ve been saving your pennies to buy one. I’m flooding you with pictures of ARs because they’re flooding the market. The sky-high Panic prices of early 2013 are long gone, and entry-level Modern Sporting Rifles can now be found for about $600, which is roughly the same price as in November 2012. AR Magazines have dropped back down to pre-Panic prices, and CTD doesn’t dare advertise a single GI magazine for $125 any more. The price of 5.56 ammo hasn’t quite come down off the ledge yet, but it’s getting there.

416x205xDel-Ton-Evolution.jpg.pagespeed.

We won’t know for another year, but my prediction is that 2013 will prove to be an even bigger year for AR manufacture than 2012 was. I don’t see another 100% year-on-year increase happening, but it would be nice to see 2013 being another million-plus year for the single most popular rifle design in America.

Keep up the good work, people. The more ARs that exist in private ownership, the more trouble Shannon Watts & Co. will have if they try to ban them.

Entry level rifles can actually be had for $500 now, if you don't mind a less well known manufacturer.  Because of the increases in prices of components and raw materials, I doubt you will see any ammo pricing return to pre-Newtown pricing levels.