THR... Hostile take over?

creeky

I only pay attention to two "gun" forums. (TGO & HKpro) But I do lurk

every now and then by others when looking for specific information on

something.

Was surprised to read about this on Oleg's site.

From Oleg's Site...

"In December 2002, I founded The High Roadt.gif forum dedicated to the advancement of responsible gun ownership. Recently, it was discovered that in 2006, the volunteer forum systems administrator, Derek Zeanah of Statesboro, Georgia, changed domain registration to himself. After he was confronted, Derek locked out all other staff from accessing the Web server administration and would not share even backup copies of its content. After failed attempts to peacefully resolve the dispute, it has become necessary for me to initiate a lawsuit against Derek Zeanah for the return of thehighroad.org domain name and the forum database."

Anybody else seen this? Weird.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rugerman
not very "High Road" imho

+1 It is pretty sad that this became an issue the two couldn't resolve privately and that one of them decided to effect an entire community by doing this.:stick:

Guest Oleg Volk

I am listed as "admin" but have no admin rights. Derek locked out everyone except his confederate John Shirley, the only moderators who supported his claims of ownership.

Guest Rugerman

I think if the Derek guy had legit claims, he would unlock Oleg's account and allow an open forum on the matter. He will not address this request from us members as of now. As it is now, he is heavily moderating and closing any thread that begins to go against him. Unless this is resolved within the next few days, I fear the High Road will be the Closed Road.

:stick:

Guest Revelator

This is too bad. I've recently gotten into High Road. It's got a link to a very lengthy and informative blog on survival and disaster preparation from a Katrina refugee that I've been reading lately.

Statesboro, GA, huh? I grew up near there in Savannah. That place is a redneck backwater.

Edited by P. Stegall

I mention this only because it is funny to me...

I'm not a member of the THR forum However I was just over there

reading the "General Discussion" Section. I noticed a thread started called

"Boycott" and began to read it. Last post... "Thread will be deleted in 3... 2... 1..."

Then I refreshed the page showing the thread... still there.

For giggles I refreshed it again... GONE!

Then I would refresh the page and see what is started...

Then refresh again to see what is deleted...

I know, it's takes very little to amuse me but I can't help but think how

I would hate to be an admin, or mod over there. Hahahha!!! It just really strikes me as funny. :stick: (and I'm not trying to be mean in pointing this out.)

It's like watching a game of minesweeper! LOL!

I am on boycott over there until he at the very least lets Oleg have his say.

Honestly I am not trying to stir the pot...

I did read where the guy posted his explanation of the situation. Which is odd considering he isn't allowing Oleg the ability to post either his rebuttal, or at the least his side of the situation.

As an outsider this would make me rather wary of anything he had to say. I think I'll wait until the I can read the court transcripts. :stick:

Guest Verbal Kint

Public info via internic.

Domain ID: D93282167-LROR

Domain Name:THEHIGHROAD.ORG

Created On:19-Dec-2002 22:02:09 UTC

Last Updated On:22-Jul-2006 00:22:15 UTC

Expiration Date:19-Dec-2008 22:02:09 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)

Registrant ID:GODA-020220918

Registrant Name:Derek Zeanah

Registrant Street1:470 Country Club Road

Registrant City:Statesboro

Registrant State/Province:Georgia

Registrant Postal Code:30458

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.4048065831

I'm sure Oleg has had some sort of contact with this Zeanah guy, but has the domain provider and/or host been contacted? Should be fairly easy to prove he was/is paying for the services and that control was maliciously lost. Unless Zeanah has possession of the server as well (i.e. being hosted by him).

Guest Rugerman
Public info via internic.

Domain ID: D93282167-LROR

Domain Name:THEHIGHROAD.ORG

Created On:19-Dec-2002 22:02:09 UTC

Last Updated On:22-Jul-2006 00:22:15 UTC

Expiration Date:19-Dec-2008 22:02:09 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)

Registrant ID:GODA-020220918

Registrant Name:Derek Zeanah

Registrant Street1:470 Country Club Road

Registrant City:Statesboro

Registrant State/Province:Georgia

Registrant Postal Code:30458

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.4048065831

I'm sure Oleg has had some sort of contact with this Zeanah guy, but has the domain provider and/or host been contacted? Should be fairly easy to prove he was/is paying for the services and that control was maliciously lost. Unless Zeanah has possession of the server as well (i.e. being hosted by him).

Derek has physical possession from what I recall.

Guest Verbal Kint
Derek has physical possession from what I recall.

That would definitely would make it harder to regain ownership outside of a court of law, or legal counsel threatening charges. :-\

Guest Rugerman
That would definitely would make it harder to regain ownership outside of a court of law, or legal counsel threatening charges. :-

That's why I fear the High Road might be on its way down. The guy can literally hold it hostage at will.