Looking for freedom in a new state

Guest windy hill farm

Grew up in Houma LA; born in 63 moved to MI in 97 but have been working on boats since 83

I've been to Houma.  They got the FBI down there.

Spent my time in the Eugene Island and West Cameron blocks.

Edited by sigmtnman

Hey brother, fellow conservative upstate NYer here (now live in TN).  Don't be afraid to tell people where we're from.  Everything you wrote about our home state is true.  Its beautitiful country, and nobody has seen rugged country till you've been deer hunting in upstate new york in december  ;)     I moved down here to get away from NY, because you are right - New York City controls the whole state.   Many people don't understand that New York City and our home in upstate NY are completely different - politically, culturally,  scenery,  you name it.    One of the fellas above says "become one of us but don't try to change us".   Well, he's right.  My advice:   respect the Southern people and their ways.  Don't try to change them, but don't change yourself.  They warmly welcome us Northern conservatives.  Nowadays all us conservative Americans need to stick together, and the good people in the South know this just as well..   

• Like 1

Well I will start with an introduction, I moved to upstate NY almost 10 years ago and bought a farm with 204 acres and all I want to do is hunt and fish and be left alone.But the damn city politicians in this sh** hole state don't see it that way. A little over a year ago they passed some really crazy gun laws and I think it's time to start looking to relocate. The city runs everything in this state, it's just to bad because it really is beautiful country. You have to jump through hoops to get a pistol permit, the county I live in only gives permits for hunting and fishing, trapping, hiking you get the idea. You buy a new pistol it has to be listed on your permit. I moved from Ma. and had a cc permit for over 25 years without any problems. I beat them at there own games as I qualify for HR 218 and can cc anywhere in the country. So I'm looking for land or small farm in the country. I can't do city at all no chance no way. I need some land to hunt on and be left alone. Oh yeah and have at the damn Yankee HAHA :wave: . I'm pretty conservative in my views, but hell you can't help were your born. NRA member for 30 plus years, Life member for 20 plus years, avid hunter and fisherman love to shoot everything and anything. Kevin

I used to vacation in upstate NY (Fulton lake chain and Finger Lakes regions) and it truly is incredibly beautiful country.

Tennessee is a pretty great place to be (I moved here from Ohio in late '96 and have never regretted it).

Welcome to Tennessee and to TGO!

Guest windy hill farm

Well thanks guys, as I have said before I'm not looking to try and change anyone. All I want is to live and let live and be left alone by government B.S. and crazy gun laws that make law abiding people criminals for the firearms they own.Oh yea and snowing like a s.o.b. getting "12-"18 of new snow and gusts to 35mph.

Well thanks for the hospitality, but sigmtnman. I guess you don't know some of the Yankee ways. Maybe you think everybody up north is from the city but that's not the case. Most people I know would do anything to help out a friend or stranger in need, whether that was to plow out there driveway or fix a flat for someone on the side of the road, bring a old fellow some stove wood when he run's out, or look a man in eye when you shake his hand. I have done more business with a hand shake and a cold beer than with any kind of contract.That's some of the Yankee way's that I was raised with and will always have no matter where I live.  Kevin

Thats what I'm talking about.  I grew up on dead end road in upstate ny, and thats the same good old "yankee ways" I was raised with too. 

Edited by TNoutdoors
Guest windy hill farm

So TNoutdoors what part of upstate NY were you from. Looks like the wife and I might be visiting TN. some time in May. Wife has an aunt in the eastern part of the state. Figure I can drive down in 1-2 days and spend a week looking around the state, hell maybe I can find some .22s between here and there.

[quote name="TNoutdoors" post="1125394" timestamp="1394984003"]Theres plenty of rebs up North, but you won't find us whining about that.[/quote] Well duh, but if you had a bunch of Yankees moving in...well you would whine too...lol You don't hear of anybody retiring and moving up north...

So I quess some of you southern boy's only judge people where they come from and not what they are about.

Not so much. I think most of us will judge a man by the cut of his jib. But I also think we're skeptical based on our experiences. Someone coming here from elsewhere has the burden of proof. This is true of all human tribes.

TN has a lot to offer not the least of which is a freedom not found everywhere else in the US. We'd like to keep it that way.

So welcome. Just don't tell us how you did it somewhere else. I look forward to your input here on TGO.

• Like 1
Guest windy hill farm

I'm just another gun owner looking for freedom and not trying to tell anybody how to do anything. All I was trying to get from this forum was some info on different areas of your great state.

Memphis most probably will not be to your liking. The most urban spots are Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

Tri-Cities area is suburban. The areas surrounding these cities are suburban trending to rural the farther out you go. If you have to work for a living that will probably impact where you want to start looking. The joy of TN is that most of the state away from the larger centers of population is still fairly rural and the cost of living here is reasonable.

Schools are a mixed bag.

Don't be insulted, we're just jealous of what we have, especially the way government is trending these days.

Guest windy hill farm

Hell I don't blame you for wanting to protect what you have, I just want a small piece of it :pleased:  No city for me and I'm done working just want to find a good area to bird hunt deer hunt and fish. I raise Pheasants now and love to waterfowl hunt. I have a young lab and she's ready to go anytime.

Hell I don't blame you for wanting to protect what you have, I just want a small piece of it :pleased:  No city for me and I'm done working just want to find a good area to bird hunt deer hunt and fish. I raise Pheasants now and love to waterfowl hunt. I have a young lab and she's ready to go anytime.

There are lots of spots that fill that bill. The further south you go the less winter you'll have. I suggest a road trip.

Best of luck.

Come on down enjoy the nascar drink fake moonshine and get lost in the smokies. But it's really not a very good place to live. You just about can't hunt and fish around here anymore due to all the rich Yankees buying up land building subdivisions and golf courses. I hear Alabama is real nice. Plenty of room too.