Niece wouldn't take "Its too cold" for an answer - Range time

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

12 year old Niece has been asking me to take her to the range for 2 months, between family business, weather and other things, every time we plan I have had to cancel. Told her last week I would pick her up from school today and take her. She has kept reminding me, me not knowing of course it would be in the 30's, down here. At the range it was 25 degrees and the wind was blowing. I told her it would be colder up there but she insisted, and she didnt complain even after an hour on the range, she was having too much fun and now I have to pick her up and take her back day after tomorrow. She has been practicing the four rules, what exactly they mean. I have been questioning her out of order and she has them down pat and obeyed/practiced the four rules the entire time on the range. A short block of instruction and after her first couple of single rounds she did everything else herself, first time she pulled the trigger on anything. 25 degrees, she is loading, shooting, clearing and following the rules, after about an hour I had about all I could take of the weather, I wasnt dressed for it figuring she would last about 2 minutes in that 25 degrees. I was wrong.  Here are a few pics.

Few other things that occurred. She informed me she needs a couple of more mags for her rifle, she wants a scope and I have officially lost my Active Hearing Protection and now own a pair of pink passive hearing protection.

Five rounds, five targets. These are 5 of the first 8 rounds she has ever pulled a trigger on.

20140303_170835_zps735e1279.jpg

20140303_170838_zps5df51c9b.jpg

20140303_170842_zps2c09d6dd.jpg

5 more rounds and 5 more targets.

20140303_170332_zps8d02ef88.jpg

20140303_1659190_zpsaba71198.jpg

Shooting GSG .22

20140303_172002_zpscf24b469.jpg

20140303_172006_zps29302c94.jpg

Take a look at this ammo. First 50 round box of that Federal Champion, 5 rounds like this. Second box, 2 rounds like this. Out of 5 magazines there were 10 FTF's, switched over and used some Remington and no problems at all. And this isnt a round that was ever in a mag and the box was not crushed or anything, out of the bag, opened the box and dumped it on the table.

20140303_170541_zps03c3b17a.jpg

Edited by TankerHC
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TankerHC

So is that the range up there you were telling me about a while back? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........................lol

Yea, the 22 part. 

Looks like she is coming along just fine Tanker. I have noticed the same issue out of the last couple boxes of Federal 22lr's. I won't be buying any more for a while.

... and neither will most others, but not because of FTF's ... :)

Guest TankerHC

Now bring her out to IDPA some time. She will have a blast

She is already asking me about competition for kids. Im thinking if I can get her some training on either  a 9 or .38 and can find a non sanctioned Outlaw Steel match that allows slow "no holster" draw, she might begin competing in no time. Also an Outlaw Steel that has a .22 class would be even better since she seems to like that GSG.

She also wants to do some Turkey Shoots, talking to her about it she seemed to be very interested in that. 

BTW, does anyone happen to know of any .22 Rifle matches with an open class for kids? I can say right now she is hooked, I would like to get her more involved. I also need to get involved again, <y C.R. Speed rig is going to waste. 

Edited by TankerHC