Best 1911 for 1100?

that_guy

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these would you recommend for first handgun(1911 heavy)

• Colt MK IV Series 70
    • Colt O1980XSE
    • Kimber Custom II
    • Springfield GI
    • Beretta 92fs
    • other (please comment)

I voted "Other," because I still say the Springfield Loaded is the best option. The GI has been discontinued.

If you have to have a Colt, I would get the Series 70 Repro. It's a better gun to modify later on if you decide you want other features. The XSE is overpriced for what you get (25% pony tax).

In my experience, I wouldn't give a second thought to Kimber and none of the manufacturers that have jumped on the 1911 bandwagon over the last few years - Ruger, Remington, Sig, S&W, etc.
  • Like 1

Oh give me a break. Quite a coincidence that Hilton is now offering custom M&Ps on an unlimited basis. He's done all he can with the 1911 - ridden that horse as far as it will go, and now he needs to fluff up the market for his next money maker. That's the plain truth of that article.

...Because the 1911 market has dried up, and M&Ps require lots of expert customization, tuning, and after-market support (Apex Tactical offerings aside)? Mr. Yam's diabolical plan is to do exactly what with the M&P?

Are Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, and Mike Pannone riding the same polymer train? Or is it just possible that these men recognize a better mousetrap when they see one?

...Because the 1911 market has dried up, and M&Ps require lots of expert customization, tuning, and after-market support (Apex Tactical offerings aside)? Mr. Yam's diabolical plan is to do exactly what with the M&P?

This: http://www.gunsandtactics.com/hilton-yam-custom-10-8-performance-mp9

You also need to understand that Hilton wrote that article geared toward a pistol issued for duty, law enforcement in particular. Most police departments can't afford a well built 1911 for standard issue. Kimber does not apply here. Hilton admits that he's gotten old and has some physical issues from shooting a large caliber handgun for so long. That's a choice made out of necessity for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 1911 in his duty holster right now. But you 1911 haters crack me up. Just a little bit of criticism from a celebrity and you guys are ready to announce to the world that the end is near for the .45.

Are Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, and Mike Pannone riding the same polymer train? Or is it just possible that these men recognize a better mousetrap when they see one?

Larry Vickers will shoot whatever someone pays him to promote, same as all the big name guys. Hackathorn hasn't started bashing the 1911 that I'm aware of it. Wilson has even released the Hackathorn Signature Model now.

OK guys, it has come down to these five options, or you can try to sway me more. Cot Stainless Government ($1000), Colt O1980XSE ($850-$1150), Kimber Custom II ($750), Colt Series 70 ($700-$1000) or a Springfield Armory GI that may or may not be in stock at my local gun store. Let me see what you guys think. (I think you guys can see that I have been swayed towards Colt)

Honestly any 1911 you get will be a good shooter, unless you have a lemon... which I've never had nor have any of my friends ranging from cheaper models like Tarus/RIA to the high ends Nighthawks/DW.

I think if I could start from scratch with the 1911 platform it would be the Ruger.  Like I said it doesn't matter what we say as long as you are happy.

• Like 1

This: http://www.gunsandtactics.com/hilton-yam-custom-10-8-performance-mp9

You also need to understand that Hilton wrote that article geared toward a pistol issued for duty, law enforcement in particular. Most police departments can't afford a well built 1911 for standard issue. Kimber does not apply here. Hilton admits that he's gotten old and has some physical issues from shooting a large caliber handgun for so long. That's a choice made out of necessity for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 1911 in his duty holster right now. But you 1911 haters crack me up. Just a little bit of criticism from a celebrity and you guys are ready to announce to the world that the end is near for the .45.

Larry Vickers will shoot whatever someone pays him to promote, same as all the big name guys. Hackathorn hasn't started bashing the 1911 that I'm aware of it. Wilson has even released the Hackathorn Signature Model now.

Get a grip there, Sparky. Very little of what you had to say was based on anything I said in my post. I'm certainly no hater. As I said - I said I love 1911s.But I feel handguns are defensive fighting tools first, and a G19 or M&P, or similar is a better carry gun for any number of commonly listed reasons.

I doubt Hilton will retire to Aruba on those 6 pistols per year, but that aside, top trainers can carry whatever they want - and most of them are carrying polymer pistols.

Paisan out.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the STI Trojan.  If you can find one used with a Dawson package put on it your in great shape.  I would start wearing out a bullseye then hand it to another shooter and they would start wearing it out too.  The Spartan is a great pistol too.

You got get two taurus pt 92 for that price. I have two umarex's and a remington R1. The R1 is nice and modded, but I still like my inexpensive umarex's. Someone said rock island and they make really solid ones. For your first I would say get something with good quality and sights ( I hate my A1 sights), and spend the rest on ammo. 

[url=http://s752.photobucket.com/user/King_Gunshot/media/IMG_11921_zps12837e81.jpg.html]th_IMG_11921_zps12837e81.jpg[/URL]

The 1911 I finally ended up with. Kimber Custom II. has about 4K through it, 1K through the current recoil spring. Bought it used from a fellow TGO'er. Came with 4 mags, all are LOADED, including the one in the gun. As soon as my carry permit is approved I would consider this as a viable option, it being my only handgun. Currently on nightstand. G.I. holster (issued to me for my beretta, but works like it was made for the 1911) Pandora playing in background.

Edited by that_guy

The 1911 market has dried up?  That's pretty funny right there.

sigmtnman, did you actually read my post, or just grab a quote without regard to context? The entire sentence was: ".Because the 1911 market has dried up, and M&Ps require lots of expert customization, tuning, and after-market support (Apex Tactical offerings aside)?"

It was a question, asked ironically, as in "Yeah, Hilton moved away from 1911s because of the huge decline in their popularity? I mean, only every freakin' gun company in existence offers 3 or 40 models of 1911s these days. Therein lies the irony.

sigmtnman, did you actually read my post, or just grab a quote without regard to context? The entire sentence was: ".Because the 1911 market has dried up, and M&Ps require lots of expert customization, tuning, and after-market support (Apex Tactical offerings aside)?"

It was a question, asked ironically, as in "Yeah, Hilton moved away from 1911s because of the huge decline in their popularity? I mean, only every freakin' gun company in existence offers 3 or 40 models of 1911s these days. Therein lies the irony.

Yes, I read the whole thing, but I'm not familiar with M&Ps so the sarcasm was lost on me. Thanks for clearing up what you meant.

[quote name="that_guy" post="1130260" timestamp="1395862604"][url="http://s752.photobucket.com/user/King_Gunshot/media/IMG_11921_zps12837e81.jpg.html"]th_IMG_11921_zps12837e81.jpg[/url] The 1911 I finally ended up with. Kimber Custom II. has about 4K through it, 1K through the current recoil spring. Bought it used from a fellow TGO'er. Came with 4 mags, all are LOADED, including the one in the gun. As soon as my carry permit is approved I would consider this as a viable option, it being my only handgun. Currently on nightstand. G.I. holster (issued to me for my beretta, but works like it was made for the 1911) Pandora playing in background.[/quote] Nice choice. Do consider one thing when picking a daily carry. Are you ok with your choice going into evidence and maybe not coming out. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice choice.

Do consider one thing when picking a daily carry. Are you ok with your choice going into evidence and maybe not coming out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can they really refuse to return your firearm? Edited by RC3

First off, the only gun on the list I own is a  Colt XSE.  The others may be wonderful firearms and I've heard good things about each.

My carry is a Kimber Pro Carry, an old one, but the one I shoot the most is my XSE.  It's my work horse.  I've put more rounds downrange with my XSE than any of my others and I trust it to do it's job.  So, you'll understand if I lean toward the Colt.