Tweaking a 1022

graycrait

Yeah, I know it looks weird, but if it works I don't much care.  J&L tuner, Fedderesen nitrided 18" .920 barrel, Boyd's tacticool, great trigger, stock receiver, replacing bolt next week with a custom bolt from QUE, DNZ one-piece mount, MidwayUSA exclusive Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50AO scope, Rimfire Technologies bedding kit used to free float this for the time being.    

Geeen1022wtuner_zpscbb299e9.jpg

• Like 2

The thing on the end is a tuner developed by a couple of people who are members of rimfirecentral.com.  Que has his own bolts now so you can buy his or have your OEM bolt tuned up.  I am having Que tune a bolt for a friend of mine's Kimber of NY 10/22 and I am buying one of his bolts for my green rig.  I am not sold on this tacticool stock.  I may stiffen up the forend with some aluminum channel tubing and acraglass or devcon.  I should just bite the bullet and get a B&C stock.  I think the Fedderesen barrel will shoot, but the types of ammo available in subsonics is way down right now.  I have several types of Eley, SK CCi and limited amounts of others and will likely get some Norma Tac22 which by all accounts is simply RWS Target.

That's pretty close to what my setup is going to be. I'll be buying the Fedderson barrel next in 16" is what I had in mind.

My trigger group (thanks DangerDan) has been worked over by Brimstone and a few assembly parts from Kidd. Stock bolt and receiver. Nikon 2-7x32 P-22 scope.

A Bell & Carson stock would also have been my preference but just about all my parts have been used purchases and I never see a used B&C. So I gave up and just purchased a Tacticool stock in blk from a friend on RC.

It sounds like you are feeling the stock flex. I'm assuming the barrel is also bedded and curious why it would flex? Why did you choose the 18" barrel over the 16" and would that have made any difference is feeling more solid?

Nice shooter.

Kieefer,  I've had a couple of those Nikon P22's, nice scopes but they limit me to shooting nothing beyond 100 yards and even then my eyes need more magnification.  Sounds like you are putting together a 1022 that could shoot decent sub 1" groups at 100 yards and certainly be competitive in the 50 and 25 yard games on RFC. The only reason I am looking at stiffening the Tacticool is that I may want to put a bipod on it at some time and the stock forends flex too much for decent bipod shooting.  Plinker4life got a smoking deal on a B&C stock a while back. He is doing some interesting things with 1022s.