A gun you would like to invent/build.

K191145

I think a variation of an autoloading gas piston sprung directly on the bolt carrier, but without a solid connection, would create a self regulating system with extended dwell. Example:
GAS BLOCK->]PISTON[///////]BOLT[///////]The piston will compress its spring first and impart a more steady impulse rearward into the bolt, throughout its travel, yet separating the reciprocating masses to eliminate harmonics.

Took me a minute to wrap my head around that. I like the idea, it seems as if it would be pretty easy to test on an sks...At least in theory... Assuming what you meant by "The piston will compress its spring first and impart a more steady impulse rearward into the bolt, throughout its travel, yet separating the reciprocating masses to eliminate harmonics." was that the results would be a smoother, lighter recoil with less stuff slamming around inside. If not I'm lost. :lol:

If i'm not mistaken there were legal issues with the planned 28 guage revolver since there is no handgun cartridge that could also be fired in it, it would have been considered a short shotgun.

I think you are right.  Thing is, at least as I understand it (and I could certainly be wrong - it has happened a time or two) the ATF had already given Taurus the go-ahead and told them that there was no problem with the 28 gauge revolver.  I think Taurus even built one or two (not sure if they were functioning prototypes or not) and had them at their booth at SHOT show a couple of years back.  The way I heard it, some ATF representatives went by the Taurus boot at that SHOT show and told them that the 28 gauge revolver would have legal issues for exactly the reason you state despite the ATF (supposedly) having previously given the go ahead.  I think Taurus basically gave up the idea in disgust.