A gun you would like to invent/build.

K191145

I know everybody's had ideas about inventing their own gun from the ground up, that is if you were a multi-millionair and could spend a chunk of money. I've thought about quite a few, I always wanted some kind of semi-auto carbine, gas piston operated, straight stock like an AR with a hydralic recoil buffer, 16"barrell, cool muzzel brake, pistol grip with a mag release reachable with the thumb on the reciever, push forward to release mag, push down to release bolt. And of course great sights, picitinny rails for red dot, light or laser, 20 and 30 round mags. Oh yea, in .50 Action Express. Might be good protection from Mr. Moose or Mr. Griz in hiking/camping out west.
I think the real potential is in propellant... Move away from nitrocellulose towards something with deflagration and expansion in the hypersonic range, such as an RDX compound. Get denser (tungsten, osmium, etc...) projectiles up to higher velocities from stronger cases through beryllium or magnetic barrels.
  • Like 1

A doublestack .22LR pistol that uses a magazine design similar to the PMR-30.  30 rounds of .22lr in a Glock Frame format would be a riot!

What model does Glock make .22 conversion kits for? Making it from the ground up you sure could make it alot slimmer than any Glock model. Edited by K191145
Guest drv2fst

Well as long as we are dreaming... how about a better version of the KSG that is not pump but semi-auto.  Replace the 2 ammo feed tubes with 5-6 tubes that each hold 7 shells (like an SRM 1216 but larger capacity).  When one tube runs out simply rotate the feed tube assembly and another 7 rounds are at the ready.  That monster would be a bit front heavy at first though.

I want something like a Calico submachine gun chambered in .45acp or a p90 in .45acp.

Would also like a bullpup in .300blk.

There you go, actually I was kidding about a carbine in .50AE but I do want a short carbine in .45ACP but will handle hotter loads in +p if you want. I know there's some out there but it would be nice to build my own. Reliability would be priority #1 and accuracy, recoil reducing features, adjustable stock, rubber grip forearm with an insert for light and laser. I know it's not important as far as function goes but I want it to look kinda cool to, not like a Kris Vector that looks like a pizza box with a trigger. If I had a reliable, accurate, short and light .45 carbine and a 30 round mag I would put my 870 back in the gun cabinet and put that by my bed.

By my estimation, it would take at least a 6ft barrel to burn an appreciable amount of that powder...

You would probably have a muzzle velocity of 13,000+ fps, or it would disenergrate before it leaves the barrell, or it would just expload like a grenede. I'm voting on the latter.

I'll go Molon one better:

Caseless ammunition, meter-able liquid propellent. 

Imagine a compact, integrally suppressed rifle firing a low-drag, high BC projectile (say for example, 140gr 6.5MM)  now imagine being able to, with the turn of a switch, launch that bullet at just under the speed of sound for maximum sound suppression, 2,000 FPS for medium range general purpose use, or 3,000+ FPS to shoot out to 1,200M or more.  

• Like 3

I have long thought that a full-sized pistol and semi-auto rifle combo chambered for .25acp would be fun.  I know some folks say that the .22LR has more power than a .25 but they are usually comparing .25 vest pocket pistol energy/velocity to .22LR out of a rifle or much larger handgun.  I imagine that out of longer barrels the energy/velocity would be about the same or maybe even favor the .25.  Being centerfire, one could reload for the .25 (unlike .22LR) and being a full-sized pistol and rifle it should be easy to build them strong enough that handloaders could work up something like a .25 +P to shoot in them.  I don't know if there is enough unused case capacity, etc. but it might even be possible to safely push it into .22 Magnum territory (I know there is .25 NAA but that is proprietary ammo that is hard to find and there are still no full sized pistols or rifles made for it, to my knowledge - I'd rather stick with .25 acp for my fantasy project.)  Also, being centerfire and being that Browning designed the .25acp to be fired from a semiauto there shouldn't be the same kind of design challenges/ammo capacity limitations that seem to sometimes plague guns chambered for rimfire ammo.

A double barreled pump shotgun would be kinda neat, too.  I have actually seen where someone built one by taking a right-ejecting Remington 870 and another, left-ejecting Remington 870 and fusing them.

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/06/16/double-barrel-pump-shotgun-moe-szyslak-style/

Mine would have only one trigger and it would fire both barrels at the same time, every time.  It would also have a really big recoil pad.  12 gauge would be a must for the first one but I might even want a second one in .410.  For HD, the .410 could be loaded with buckshot in one side and slugs in the other.  Both fired at once would be a pretty mean little HD shotgun.

Edited by JAB

I have long thought that a full-sized pistol and semi-auto rifle combo chambered for .25acp would be fun.  I know some folks say that the .22LR has more power than a .25 but they are usually comparing .25 vest pocket pistol energy/velocity to .22LR out of a rifle or much larger handgun.  I imagine that out of longer barrels the energy/velocity would be about the same or maybe even favor the .25.  Being centerfire, one could reload for the .25 (unlike .22LR) and being a full-sized pistol and rifle it should be easy to build them strong enough that handloaders could work up something like a .25 +P to shoot in them.  I don't know if there is enough unused case capacity, etc. but it might even be possible to safely push it into .22 Magnum territory (I know there is .25 NAA but that is proprietary ammo that is hard to find and there are still no full sized pistols or rifles made for it, to my knowledge - I'd rather stick with .25 acp for my fantasy project.)  Also, being centerfire and being that Browning designed the .25acp to be fired from a semiauto there shouldn't be the same kind of design challenges/ammo capacity limitations that seem to sometimes plague guns chambered for rimfire ammo.

A double barreled pump shotgun would be kinda neat, too.  I have actually seen where someone built one by taking a right-ejecting Remington 870 and another, left-ejecting Remington 870 and fusing them.

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/06/16/double-barrel-pump-shotgun-moe-szyslak-style/

Mine would have only one trigger and it would fire both barrels at the same time, every time.  It would also have a really big recoil pad.  12 gauge would be a must for the first one but I might even want a second one in .410.  For HD, the .410 could be loaded with buckshot in one side and slugs in the other.  Both fired at once would be a pretty mean little HD shotgun.

How about a .25 super? .32 case necked down to .25. Of course you have to build your own cartridge then. There's probably some old European metric cartridges that come close to that.

What happened to the old combo-guns, over and under rifle/shotgun combos? Don't see much of them anymore. I think a cool survival combo would be an 20" barrell .357mag/20ga. over and under combo. Push the breach lever and it would open and stop like a normal over and under, push another lever on the bottom and the barrells would fold all the way back into the stock so it would fit in a polymer case on your backpack.

• Like 1

How about a .25 super? .32 case necked down to .25. Of course you have to build your own cartridge then. There's probably some old European metric cartridges that come close to that.

What happened to the old combo-guns, over and under rifle/shotgun combos? Don't see much of them anymore. I think a cool survival combo would be an 20" barrell .357mag/20ga. over and under combo. Push the breach lever and it would open and stop like a normal over and under, push another lever on the bottom and the barrells would fold all the way back into the stock so it would fit in a polymer case on your backpack.

Savage makes a new version of that but it's only in "youth size."  I've been wanting to build a similar version though in .22/.45 Colt but haven't ever gotten around to anything past drawings.

• Like 1

How about a .25 super? .32 case necked down to .25.

That is exactly what the .25 NAA I mentioned in my previous post is.  NAA (the same company that makes the mini revolvers) chambered some of their Guardians for it (might still be making them for all I know.)  It is a proprietary cartridge, though, and to my knowledge the only way to get the ammo is to order it from North American Arms.  Supposedly, it can attain 1,275 fps out of a two inch barrel with a 35 grain Hornady XTP bullet.

North American Arms also created the .32 NAA - another proprietary cartridge that is a .380 necked down to fire a .32 bullet.  It supposedly launches a 60 grain bullet out of a two inch barrel at 1,222 fps.

There was a bit of excitement over those, two rounds when they first came out about ten years or so back.  At the time, some folks seemed to think they would really catch on and the ammo would become more widely available but that didn't happen - at least so far.  I think that they might have if Ruger hadn't come out with the Little Copied Pistol (basically a rip off of Kel Tec's P3AT that had already been around a few years by that point) and started the .380 pocket pistol craze.  Then, of course, the popularity of .380 pocket pistols pushed some manufacturers to come up with pistols chambered in 9mm that were just about as small.  Why buy a little pocket pistol that shoots a hard to find, proprietary cartridge when you can have a pistol chambered in a more common round that is just about as small?  

The .22 TCM is the current 'next big thing' in small, high velocity 'boutique' rounds.  Although the TCM sounds interesting, I personally expect it to ultimately become about as popular as did the two NAA proprietary rounds - although the TCM might have an advantage in that the guns being built for it are full-sized, usually 1911 platform guns and some of them, through swapping the barrel, mag and maybe a spring, can fire .45acp, as well.  In fact, being that the full size pistol end of things already exists then if a rifle were created to fire the TCM round (and for all I know someone has already built or is working on such a rifle - or maybe an upper for an AR15) then something very similar to what I suggest could be achieved via the TCM.  Still, I'd rather stick with an 'off the shelf' round (well, off the shelf when the ammo craziness is not going on, anyhow.)  That is why I would rather stick to the more or less commonly available, 'lowly' .25acp for my fantasy project.

This is a link to an old article about the .25 NAA and the .32 NAA.

http://www.defensereview.com/naa-guardian-32-naa-and-25-naa-pocket-pistols-with-added-penetration/

Edited by JAB