A gun you would like to invent/build.

K191145

I think it's the 9mm the TCM converts into. I've been looking at them and really want one. It seems like a neat little round, I'd love to see what it would do out of a rifle. The double stack 1911 isn't bad, not as streamlined as the single stack but as comfortable as anything else with the same capacity. Of course, all that's just from fondling one at the LGS, not any range time.

I think the TCM will do better, it has a bigger parent company, it's actually not that expensive already (for a low demand niche round with limited manufacturers) and I think the 1911 is a much better jumping off platform.

Revovler, 2  barrels, both top and bottom cylinder fire at the same time.   But it would probably take a new cartridge, or be limited to 22/22M to get even 5 shots (10 rounds).  A 4 shot might be possible in some of the 30 caliber sizes and a medium frame.   Don't need to support 357 or 44, too much recoil,  but a really large framed 38 might also manage 4. 

I think it's the 9mm the TCM converts into.

You are probably right, now that I think about it.  Unless I am mistaken, the TCM has a .22 bullet in a necked down 9mm casing.  Is that right?  If so then it would make sense that the 1911 convertible combo would be TCM and 9mm.  Thanks for the correction.

Revovler, 2  barrels, both top and bottom cylinder fire at the same time.   But it would probably take a new cartridge, or be limited to 22/22M to get even 5 shots (10 rounds).  A 4 shot might be possible in some of the 30 caliber sizes and a medium frame.   Don't need to support 357 or 44, too much recoil,  but a really large framed 38 might also manage 4. 

Believe it or not, yours would not be the first double-barreled revolver ever designed.  The one I am aware of, though, actually had a double row of cylinders in the chamber, one for each barrel with 10 shots each, making it a 20 shot.  Unlike your idea, though, it could apparently only fire one barrel at a time.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=315

I am pretty sure this is a picture of the same gun but here you can see the overall design better, I think:

http://images.blog-24.com/440000/437000/437175.jpg

Hmmm...use that concept with something like a .32 H&R Magnum cartridge or even Federal .327 Magnum (although the cylinder might have to be prohibitively large to stand up to .327 pressures.).  Might have to go with, say, 7 cylinders on the outer ring and only 6 on the inner to get the spacing/timing right.  Put in a slide switch on the side of the frame back near the grips to allow the shooter to choose which row of cylinders to fire from.  Sliding that switch up or down would not only choose the cylinder but would also raise or lower the rear sights to adjust POA to better equate with POI being that the lower barrel is going to shoot a little lower, otherwise.

Heck, it might even be better to chamber the outer ring in something like .32 mag and chamber the inner ring in .22 Mag or even .22LR.  Say, 7 shots of .32 Mag backed up with 8 or 9 shots of some flavor of .22  With the bottom row being rimfire, the timing wouldn't have to be set up so that the cylinders in both rows are centered on the firing pins.  Might be something of a Rube Goldberg design but sounds like a lot of fun as a range toy and actually useful as a woods/trail gun - able to fire either a .32 or a .22 just by sliding a switch.  It would be like carrying two guns in one..

I keep thinking 7 shots for the outer ring because the old Nagant revolvers are 7 shot and are chambered for a cartridge that is more or less a .32 (so close that you can fire .32 S&W Long cartridges in them) and their cylinders aren't overly large.  Of course, the cylinder would have to be a little bigger to accommodate double rows of chambers but it still shouldn't need to be too huge.  Going with .32 and .22 would help keep the fully loaded weight to at least somewhat reasonable levels.

EDIT:  Oh, wait!  Use the selectable double-revolver concept in something like a Circuit Judge, a revolving carbine/rifle.  .45/.410 in one row of chambers and barrel (probably a 5 shot) and .22LR/L/S in the other.  Wow!

Edited by JAB

Ruger Deerstalker re-introduced with a detachable mag maybe like the rotary in a 10-22 and in other calibers like .40 10mm .38/.357 Mag etc. possibly a take-down design

would love to go through the Archives at these older gun companies and see what they said "Nahhh" to at the time and could make now due to technological advancements

one that don't miss

Now that would be something. I guess the Remington with the 1995 camcorder sized "scope" might count, but then you have to mount what equates to a camcorder in your rifle. And pay the $11,000 price tag too.

I would like to create a gun that has all the bad things the Democraps say are  bad things and put it on display, to show how stupid they really are. 

in all seriousness, I would not invent a gun, don't have the required skill set or patience to do it (I'm a very patient personal, but waiting to piece everything together would drive me nuts).  Now I would like to build a precision bolt rifle from parts and not bought. something is .308 or 300 winmag, probably built of a Remington 700 action. 

in all seriousness, I would not invent a gun, don't have the required skill set or patience to do it...

Oh, I don't have the engineering or machining skill set to actually build the thing.  I am thinking 'invent' from more the idea/planning angle.  If I had the kind of money to create a whole, new gun I'd 'delegate' the actual, physical building of it to people who did know how and pay them to do it.  The idea part is what I would contribute.

Edited by JAB
I think a variation of an autoloading gas piston sprung directly on the bolt carrier, but without a solid connection, would create a self regulating system with extended dwell. Example:

GAS BLOCK->]PISTON[///////]BOLT[///////]

The piston will compress its spring first and impart a more steady impulse rearward into the bolt, throughout its travel, yet separating the reciprocating masses to eliminate harmonics.

I think a variation of an autoloading gas piston sprung directly on the bolt carrier, but without a solid connection, would create a self regulating system with extended dwell. Example:

The piston will compress its spring first and impart a more steady impulse rearward into the bolt, throughout its travel, yet separating the reciprocating masses to eliminate harmonics.

:confused:

Ummm...me throw big rock.

(I know little to nothing - leaning more toward nothing - about gas piston systems or the like.  I felt the need to respond in appreciation of your technical knowledge and I had to go with the ??? smiley because there wasn't one depicting something going right over its head.)

Edited by JAB

I know what your saying, I think. More like an SKS instead of an AK? I hear alot about the movement of the action on an auto affecting accuracy but it's hard to imagine the slightest movement before the powder is ignited and the bullet leaves the muzzle at 2500+fps. I would like to see an ultra-slow-mo video of the action on an auto and the muzzle when a round is fired just to see if there's any movement of the action before the bullet exits.

I'm talking about a piston with no mechanical connection to the bolt other than a spring... Sequence:
1) Cartridge ignites
2) Bullet travels down the barrel
3) Gas block is pressurized
4) Piston moves rearward against spring tension between it and the carrier
5) Spring tension between piston and carrier exceeds the preload of the buffer spring as the piston continues rearward, and the carrier begins to move
6) Piston slows and carrier picks up rearward momentum as the bolt unlocks
7) Piston reverses motion as it reaches relief ports and gas pressure subsides, while the bolt carrier reaches the rear of its travel
8) Bolt, carrier and piston return to battery and load another cartridge

The benefit is, the gas pressure can spike and store energy in the piston spring without moving the bolt carrier before the pressure has reduced, increasing dwell, plus, the rapid motion of the unfixed piston counteracts some initial recoil, while the bolt carrier becomes essentially the damper in a constant pressure reciprocating system, moving only as much as the piston spring stored energy is limited to... Essentially, you can over gas the piston and maintain a preloaded bolt velocity at any power level. Edited by molonlabetn
  • Like 1
Illustration:
1)
GAS BLOCK->PISTON[//////]CARRIER[//////]
=====================<==]BOLT[

2)
==<=====================]BOLT[

3-5)
GAS BLOCK----->PISTON[///]CARRIER[//////]
========================]BOLT[

5-6)
GAS BLOCK-------->PISTON[//]CARRIER[/////]

6)
GAS BLOCK------------>PISTON[/]CARRIER[///]
======================== ]BOLT[

7)
GAS BLOCK---------------PISTON[//]CARRIER[/]

8)
GAS BLOCK<--------PISTON[//////]CARRIER[//]
======================== <==]BOLT[ Edited by molonlabetn

Ya know, I think a semiautomatic .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum in the pattern of an M1 carbide would be great. Ruger used to produce such a gun, but I would desire a box magazine of 20+ rounds.

Ya know, I think a semiautomatic .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum in the pattern of an M1 carbide would be great. Ruger used to produce such a gun, but I would desire a box magazine of 20+ rounds.

Rimmed cartridges and hi-cap box magazines do not mix well.

Illustration:
1)
=====================<==]BOLT[

2)
==<=====================]BOLT[

3-5)
GAS BLOCK----->PISTON[///]CARRIER[//////]

5-6)
GAS BLOCK-------->PISTON[//]CARRIER[/////]

6)
GAS BLOCK------------>PISTON[/]CARRIER[///]

7)
GAS BLOCK---------------PISTON[//]CARRIER[/]

8)
GAS BLOCK<--------PISTON[//////]CARRIER[//]
======================== <==]BOLT[

I'm better with scematics. You ought to sketch that out though, you never know, i'm sure designers are always looking for improvments. I'm thinking this would be a self-regulating gas system that would handle cartridges of different pressures without manually regulating it?

Rimmed cartridges and hi-cap box magazines do not mix well.

I've wondered that about rimmed cartridges, I would like to see a mag from an SVD or Tokarev to see what the Ruskies did to stack 7.62x54. Of course I don't think they are high cap.

Edit: There are 20 rounders for the SVD's Edited by K191145