Canadian gun grab

Scary thing's happened in Canada (From another forum)

This is a story of how "they'd never come take my guns"... comes shockingly true in Canada last night.

I haven't posted much in the last couple years as getting heavily involved in the Canadian firearms community has taken me away from ZS. However, I came back on to share something that happened last night in Canada with you. It doesn't involve hockey, beer or beaver, it involves a great rifle from Swiss Arms, and how the police used it to turn thousands of Canadians overnight into criminals.

Swiss Arms rifles have been sold in Canada for about 12-15 years (my numbers may be off on some of these) and were deemed non-restricted by the RCMP, so you could take it anywhere (except short barreled restricted versions, which you needed registration/paperwork for). Well built, nice rifle, loved by all of us... and about $3000-$4000 a pop for the average one.

All is rosy until recently, someone suggests to the RCMP (this is a REALLY long story with lots of politics, money and revenge involved, not that relevant so I'll skip it) that this is actually a variant of the PROHIBITED Sig550. The RCMP (who first decided it was non-restricted years ago and forgot about it) changes their minds, and agrees! And as of last night re-classifies all variants of this rifle as prohibited. They state that all citizens owning this gun must turn them in to be destroyed WITHOUT COMPENSATION.

What does this mean to gun lovin' Joe Average Canuck who owns one?
Best case scenario
-turn in gun, lose $3000-$4000 and have it destroyed.

Worst case scenario
-hide gun... become a criminal (technically as of last night, you already are) with a prison sentence being the likely outcome of a possession of a prohib charge should it ever be found.

For owners of restricted/papered Swiss Arms, there is no choice but to turn them in, as the RCMP know where they live, so the alternative is to have the RCMP come to your house and arrest you, seize ALL your firearms, lose your license, and go to jail.

So... how does this affect you, our American friends? Well it doesn't. At least not this day, not this year... This is just a story about how it CAN happen... and how quickly. Note that this story all began when the transfer of power over governing firearms was given to the police by the government... There's a lesson in that.

While I'm not a Swiss Arms owner (mostly ARs and VZ58s) I can't help but want to support their cause. This has a more detailed overview of the s--tstorm and how it happened (although it omits some of the good drama) http://www.theshootingcentre.com/sans-overview

Please share this story if you feel it's important to the firearms owners in your community.
Thanks!

In the process of banning some questionable firearms, they used it as an opportunity to ban a whole class of firearms.  Apparently in the confusion that followed, there were some clarifications, that gun owners would be granted a two or five year amnesty period (depending on which article you read) during which time they won't be criminalized.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/swiss-arms-rifle-owners-granted-amnesty-by-government-1.2558585

While the country in question is Canada, it's not that big a leap to think someone would pull something like this here. 

Edited by Refleks
  • Like 1