What kind of snake is this?

Trust me , I don't really care what you do with them. A lot of people are just surprised to learn that law.

No problem.  What I was saying, though, was that I don't believe that the description of the law on that site actually is the law - it is simply the (extreme) interpretation of the law that site wants to present based on their biases and opinions.  That is all I was getting at -but that, of course, is just my opinion.

Edited by JAB
Go up and tell any game warden you killed a snake in your yard on the road or where ever and 100 to 1 he will ticket you for an illegal kill. If he takes his job more seriously he may even take you to jail. I was told by a game warden once if its not listed to be hunted as game its then illegal to kill any wildlife. Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The only reason that law was enacted was because people used to kill all snakes believing they were all venomous. It was only an attempt to save as many non venomous as they could from shovels.

And keep down the rodent population , wait is it illegal to kill mice and rats ? :)

It's all about the Eco-system , I think the main reason for the government entity.

And NO , I am not a tree hugger. Edited by Fourtyfive

Go up and tell any game warden you killed a snake in your yard on the road or where ever and 100 to 1 he will ticket you for an illegal kill. If he takes his job more seriously he may even take you to jail. I was told by a game warden once if its not listed to be hunted as game its then illegal to kill any wildlife. Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

I seriously doubt that.  At least I hope that most game wardens have more sense than that.

When someone I knew used a cage trap to catch a raccoon that was messing in his garden he called the 'game warden' to find out how to deal with it.  The answer was that it is illegal to transport wildlife so it couldn't be relocated.  Further, he said that they don't deal with such things.  His recommendation was to shoot the thing and be done with it.  This was not during raccoon hunting season so the raccoon would not have been legal to hunt.  Sometimes a little common sense has to be applied.  Of course, one might also need to have the common sense not to go bragging to a 'game warden' about killing a nuisance snake in one's own yard.  On the road, I won't swerve to hit a snake but I'm probably not going to swerve (and risk an accident) to miss it, either.

Edited by JAB

I seriously doubt that. At least I hope that most game wardens have more sense than that.

When someone I know used a cage trap to catch a raccoon that was messing in his garden he called the 'game warden' to find out how to deal with it. The answer was that it is illegal to transport wildlife so it couldn't be relocated. Further, he said that they don't deal with such things. His recommendation was to shoot the thing and be done with it. This was not during raccoon hunting season so the raccoon would not have been legal to hunt. Sometimes a little common sense has to be applied. Of course, one might also need to have the common sense not to go bragging to a 'game warden' about killing a nuisance snake in one's own yard.

Deleted remark. Edited by Fourtyfive

And keep down the rodent population , wait is it illegal to kill mice and rats ? :)

It's all about the Eco-system , I think the main reason for the government entity.

And NO , I am not a tree hugger.

It's really no different than killing any pest out of season as long as you are on your own property. You can kill dear on your own property without a license, you are supposed to check bucks though, right?
  • Like 1

Yes it's a Dekay's Brown Snake (Storeia dekayi)

And yes it's illegal to kill any snake in Tennessee unless you are in imminent danger of your life. TWRA officers interpret that very strictly. If you have time to go get a weapon, shovel, etc... to kill the snake then you aren't in imminent danger.  If you have time to draw, take aim and fire then you aren't in imminent danger.

And yes it's illegal to kill any snake in Tennessee unless you are in imminent danger of your life. TWRA officers interpret that very strictly. If you have time to go get a weapon, shovel, etc... to kill the snake then you aren't in imminent danger.  If you have time to draw, take aim and fire then you aren't in imminent danger.

Listen to this guy. His profile pic is a snake. :tough:

Nevermind that he studies snakes....

So UncleJak was right in the first response.

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1
Guest sigequinox

In all seriousness, I have 2 small breed dogs (8-10lbs) that like to nose around the grass like grazing cattle. If I saw a venomous snake on my property, I would not only take the time to go find a shovel and come back to kill it, but I would go search for it if it were no longer there. I'm not losing one or both of my dogs (that mean everything to my wife and I) to some deadly prehistoric creature that a bunch of hippies want to protect. They have done just fine over the last 200 million years, killing a few in a suburban backyard won't be putting the species out of business.

In all seriousness, I have 2 small breed dogs (8-10lbs) that like to nose around the grass like grazing cattle. If I saw a venomous snake on my property, I would not only take the time to go find a shovel and come back to kill it, but I would go search for it if it were no longer there. I'm not losing one or both of my dogs (that mean everything to my wife and I) to some deadly prehistoric creature that a bunch of hippies want to protect. They have done just fine over the last 200 million years, killing a few in a suburban backyard won't be putting the species out of business.

Yea , you can say that , you won't be tracked down in Tennessee and locked up ! :)
Guest sigequinox

Yea , you can say that , you won't be tracked down in Tennessee and locked up ! :)

WILL. NOT. COMPLY. :D Edited by sigequinox
Guest sigequinox

Just because a person has an irrational fear of something is not justifion to kill it.

Spare the snakes and save the ammo for something that deserves killin like carpenter bees...

Fearing a deadly creature within 50 ft of your house that could easily kill your 4 legged family members is hardly irrational. my fear of spiders in the other hand is. I hate every single one of them.

If hunting purely for the sake of sport is justification to kill , then surely extremely venemous reptiles in proximity of your dwelling is too. Edited by sigequinox