Bass Pro Shops - Gun Check

Guest pjblurton

Guest pjblurton

So I went by my local neighborhood Bass Pro Shops today looking for a new shotgun. I've seen the sign before at the customer service counter that said "All Firearms and Bows must be checked in prior to entering BPS" but I usually roll right by and stay armed as there are no "proper postings".

My curiosity got the better of me and I asked what items needed to be checked. The nice lady said all firearms and bows. I explained that I had a pistol, and feeling compliant, I was willing to hand it over. She asked if I had a carry permit, I answered yes. To which she said, oh, your OK, go ahead.

Now here is where it gets goofy. As I turn to leave, the other girl behind the counter asks, "There's no live rounds in it is there?". I was blown away at the sheer stupidity of this question and asked her to repeat it to make sure I heard correctly. I did. I answered with, "What good would it be without them?" She explaied that I would have to leave the ammo at the counter with them. I dropped the magazine and left one in the pipe and picked up my mag on the way out.

Next time I'll continue to roll right by like always. Any of you guys seen this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen the sign but since I never take firearms there for service I ignore it. I figure as long as I am not opening up boxes of ammo in the aisles and filling magazines and it is concealed no one should care.

Out of sight, out of mind. I know it's not a concealed carry permit, but there's time when it's best that the sheeple or wolf know who the sheepdog until it's time to bite.

Guest bkelm18

Any of those sporting goods stores that have those "Firearms must be checked" signs are only talking about those that are being brought in for repair and such. Not your concealed firearm. In any event, I am NOT handing my carry weapon over to anyone other than a LEO for anything. I don't give a damn what any sign says. I'll leave it in the car if it comes to that but no one other than me is going to be handling it.

Any of those sporting goods stores that have those "Firearms must be checked" signs are only talking about those that are being brought in for repair and such. Not your concealed firearm. In any event, I am NOT handing my carry weapon over to anyone other than a LEO for anything. I don't give a damn what any sign says. I'll leave it in the car if it comes to that but no one other than me is going to be handling it.

Yeah, that....I would leave it in the car if there were any real concern about it. But if it's concealed well......well

I believe bkelm is right in that they are only talking about weapons that are being brought in for service.

Sounds like the first girl knew that and the second one didn't.

Guest eyebedam
I believe bkelm is right in that they are only talking about weapons that are being brought in for service.

Sounds like the first girl knew that and the second one didn't.

I agree the second girl didnt have a clue. Ive never heard of asking for your magazine. She was probably thinking of (the weapons in for service check it for a live round). I honestly dont think I couldve given them my magazine.

Guest db99wj

First of all, leave the teenage girls alone....give em a break!

2nd, Yep for the service stuff as mentioned above.

3rd, Yep, concealed. No way I'm handing my firearm or any parts that go along with it to anyone.....except if asked for by law enforcement.

Guest db99wj
I agree the second girl didnt have a clue. Ive never heard of asking for your magazine. She was probably thinking of (the weapons in for service check it for a live round). I honestly dont think I couldve given them my magazine.

I would have told her no and why, that I'm legal with a permit to have a loaded firearm for self defense and that there is no law against it. Might could have edumacated her.

Guest ChopperGuy

As for the BPS in Nashville, they have told me straight up that the gun check only applies to guns and bows that are being brought in for service. I never asked about being a permit holder because they are not properly posted that I have found. At any rate, I'm not handing my carry weapon to anyone without a badge.

Guest db99wj
As for the BPS in Nashville, they have told me straight up that the gun check only applies to guns and bows that are being brought in for service. I never asked about being a permit holder because they are not properly posted that I have found. At any rate, I'm not handing my carry weapon to anyone without a badge.

ccw%20badge%206374.jpg

Hand it over!:up::D

As for the BPS in Nashville, they have told me straight up that the gun check only applies to guns and bows that are being brought in for service...

Yeah, same as Gander Mountain.

Now, though, what if I start to carry a bow and quiver for SD?

- OS

Guest Loaded247

Are you talking about the Bass Pro on Macon? I go there a couple of times a month. I always figured that the signage pertained to firearms being brought in for service, or possible trade. My firearm is always concealed, and I make no mention of it. It's never been an issue.

With that said, if a situation came about where they required me to turn over my pistol or my ammunition, my answer would be a polite NO.

"Ma'am, I appreciate your interest in my pistol, as it is a good one. However, it's loaded, and safety dictates that it remain loaded and holstered at this time. Now ma'am, is there something else I may assist you with?"

Why would you even stop and question the sign? Concealed means concealed. Nothing good ever comes from asking questions. :cool:

Concealed may mean concealed, but it doesn't mean legal or within store policy.

However I agree on asking questions.

If it is not off-limits by law and not properly posted (and one with a HCP should know what those things are), it is up to you whether you want to violate that stores policy or not.