I was wondering if you guys knew anything about the NAA belt buckle that holds the .22 derringer/revolver. A guy I work with was saying that its illegal to wear because its meant to be disguised as something else. He also mentioned it illegal to carry a wallet holster with a pistol in it for the very same reason. It seems to me as long as I have my HCP it shouldn't matter.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen one of those belt buckles in years.Open carry is legal if you have a permit.Also wallet holsters are legal as well provided you are following the law otherwise.

I have a shooting buddy who has one of those. It looks fake, and most people would think that to be the case. As long as you follow postings as you would with any other carry weapon, I don't see how that would be illegal.

If you have a HCP you can carry open (belt buckle) or concealed (wallet). Nothing in the law prevents any method in either type of carry.

I bet if you ask your fried to show you the law, he will get defensive and say all he knows is that it is the law or that he heard it from someone who knows what he is talking about or something like that.

I was wondering if you guys knew anything about the NAA belt buckle that holds the .22 derringer/revolver. A guy I work with was saying that its illegal to wear because its meant to be disguised as something else. He also mentioned it illegal to carry a wallet holster with a pistol in it for the very same reason. It seems to me as long as I have my HCP it shouldn't matter.

The type of wallet holster that is illegal, is the one where you can fire the weapon without removing it from the holster. Plain old wallet/ pocket holsters are fine.

Yea, I don't think it makes a lot of sense either. I really would not see the sense in paying 200 dollars to own a wallet pistol.

Or the sense in classifying a weapon that can be fired from a disguised state as AOW and requiring special ATF paperwork and taxes.

Guest EasilyObsessed
Yea, I don't think it makes a lot of sense either. I really would not see the sense in paying 200 dollars to own a wallet pistol.

I thought the transfer charge for an AOW was only $5?

It appears that it was not a transfer, but a new ownership that would require registration.

AOW transfers on a Form 4 only require a $5 tax stamp. If your are building an AOW on a Form 1, then I believe you have to pay for the $200 tax stamp.

So can someone explain an AOW?

AOW = Any Other Weapon. It is just another class of NFA weapons that do not readily fit in the other catagories. Examples or AOW: pen gun, cane gun, pistols with vertical foregrip, an SBS without a shoulder stock (smooth-bore handgun), wallet guns, etc...

Guest gunslinger707

I've had one of those Wallet holster's for year's.! bought it year's ago at a gunshow.At the time of purchase nothing was said about an AOW stamp being needed for it.Do'es this mean it is illegal to own it ?

I've had one of those Wallet holster's for year's.! bought it year's ago at a gunshow.At the time of purchase nothing was said about an AOW stamp being needed for it.Do'es this mean it is illegal to own it ?

If I'm understanding everything right, the belt buckle is fine. It is the wallet holster type gun that would require jumping through the hoops.

Can the gun be fired without removing it from the holster?

Guest REDDOG79

NO it can not be fired without removing it from the belt buckle. I have a NAA .22 mini and two different belt buckles it fits in. One is a quick release buckle and the other is more for show as it can't hardly be removed without taking the belt loose (might be my physical limitations as in my damn stomach is too fat for me to see the latch to get it undone)

I just decided to order the folding holster grip and carry it that way.

YMMV

Kirby

Can the gun be fired without removing it from the holster?
NO it can not be fired without removing it from the belt buckle. I have a NAA .22 mini and two different belt buckles it fits in. One is a quick release buckle and the other is more for show as it can't hardly be removed without taking the belt loose (might be my physical limitations as in my damn stomach is too fat for me to see the latch to get it undone)

I just decided to order the folding holster grip and carry it that way.

YMMV

Kirby

The belt buckle gun and the wallet holster are two different things.

The belt buckle gun is legal and not considered a AOW because it does have to be removed from the buckle to fire.

The wallet holster seems to depend on what kind it is and whether it is one that can be fired while still within the wallet or not.

Guest gunslinger707

My holster can be fired from w/out removing the gun. But like i said earlier nothing was said about an AOW stamp being needed when i purchased it.