Question for reloaders

How many pieces uncleaned and not deprimed 38spl brass would be equal to one 50 round box of target grade brass 38spl factory ammo for trading purposes ?

Also this once fired brass. Edited by joe45
Take my estimate with a grain of salt... I can be a real pushover, especially when helping other reloaders. I've been on the receiving end of generosity from a number of forum members here, and try to reciprocate when I can.
  • Like 1

it depends on what the "target grade ammo" really is and the current value/availability of that type.  True match grade ammo can run more than self defense ammo (more than a buck a pop!) in some calibers but who makes/shoots 38 sp for accuracy??   Guessing here that its just labeled target and is just "above average consistency" ammo, the stuff that is like $5 or so more per box? 

Regardless, web search out the price of both and figure out the ratio roughly, then make your offer.

[quote name="Patton" post="1155921" timestamp="1402024012"]Probably around 400 pieces to be worth a box of 50 target rounds.[/quote] I'd look for 500 brass cases in trade per box of 38 target grade (cheap) ammo, but only if they are all the same headstamp and truly once-fired factory new ammo (not reloaded). If they were range scrap or mixed lots I'd pass, as you never really know what you are getting there and it's just safer, plus it doesn't cost much to get new brass or verified once-fired, so why take the risk? I think you can buy brand new 38 brass around $30-$40 for 500, and verified once-fired stuff is worth about half that much. Most 38 ammo is selling around $20 per box. But I haven't purchased any recently so my memory might be a little off. To be more accurate you should call Reloaders Bench in Mount Juliet, see what their brass is selling for (they usually have new and range scrap). Edited by wileecoyote

if you are looking for match brass just separate by mfg. trim to a common length,chamfer the mouths and deburr the flash holes  it isn't as finicky as rifle brass then work up the load.

after much testing in my wad-cutter guns both a "PPC Revolver" and a S&W M-52 

I found that the flash hole uniforming made a difference in the Revolver but case OAL didn't

in the M-52  the case OAL did make a difference in addition to the flash hole being uniformed I would say it had to do with the taper crimping and pressures driving the semi-auto action vs. a revolver   it is the only handgun brass I trim

same mfg. but not same lot tried the whole same lot thing and noticed no difference

Fed. nickle

Winchester Brass

Remington brass ( factory same lot #)

Federal or Winchester primers

148gr. HBWC

2.7 grs. Bullseye  or 3.1 of WW 231 if going long (50 yds. line) taper crimped to .003" below re-sized at case mouth.