Anyone have a sight pusher for the M&P Shield?

I am wanting to remove my rear sight so I can remove the burrs from the striker block channel. I have no interest in putting on night sights so I want to preserve the rear sight.

I have got the set screw out by heating it with a soldering iron but the sight itself won't budge. I am comfortable using a nylon punch on it but don't own brass punches and honestly don't want to mar the finish with a mistake.

If you have one I would be glad to come to you and buy you a beer or your drink of choice to use it. Just PM me.

you can get brass punches pretty cheap, and they come in handy.  If you use a vice should move pretty easily.  Have done 1/2 dozen or so without damage. Put a little piece of tape over the end of the punch too.  Wouldn't waste my money on at sight press.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Wilee. I just read that some of them actually have loctite under the slide as well. I'm gonna give it one more go tonight with heat to the sight and the nylon punch and see what happens. I'm just scared to use any type of metal punch on them for fear of scarring it. 

If I can't get it I may take a ride out there and meet you. I'll let you know either way. If I were putting new sights on this wouldn't be an issue. I just can't justify them on this gun.

you can get brass punches pretty cheap, and they come in handy.  If you use a vice should move pretty easily.  Have done 1/2 dozen or so without damage. Put a little piece of tape over the end of the punch too.  Wouldn't waste my money on at sight press.

So will brass really not scar it up? I know the tape is to help prevent that but is it really that much softer? My nylon punch normally does the job.

I got it off! Just had to center the sight in the vice and give it a GOOD smack. Broke a piece off of the nylon punch but it came off. Got all the internals sanded and polished and the trigger is a lot smoother. It amazing how rough the striker block chamber was in this one. It grinded all the way up. The apex is a great kit but in this one the polish is good enough for me. It should smooth out more with wear. Thanks for all the offers.

So will brass really not scar it up? I know the tape is to help prevent that but is it really that much softer? My nylon punch normally does the job.

Any trace of the brass rubs off........but as you discovered, everything moves with enough force :cool:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's good you got it off. the info below is only for those that may not know.

I know at one time some sight pusher tools were "breaking" the frame rail slot on the slides. I believe MGW was one.

And if one doesn't clamp the slide in a vice properly you can bend the slide rail on some slides enough that you can't get the slide back on the frame.

If you use punches and a vice be careful not to distort the sight or the slide.

Here is a short read on the tool I mentioned above.

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/198444-m-p-shield-sight-pusher-warning-please-read-if-you-changing-sights.html