Full Auto AR experience question

Everything is relative.  Personally, the idea of running a $15,000 engine close to destruction in order to see how fast you can go 1/4 mile isn't my bag.  But, I do like shooting my Sterling and M10/45.  A $250 case of 9mm lasts a lot longer than a 1/4 mile run!!!

The sad thing about renting a machine gun is that the cost is counter-productive to giving you any experience other than just hosing off a magazine.  For me, learning to engage multiple targets in line, column, and echelon is what full-auto is all about. 

Shooting real belt-feds is a dying art.  Modern militaries don't really teach how to most effectively use a ground-mounted belt-fed machine gun.  And not many places teach proper control of a shoulder-fired automatic weapon either.

Still, I'd encourage you to go and have fun.

• Like 2
Guest kingarmory

If you've never shot a FA before then do it, its a fun experience.  I've shot more MG's than I can even remember and for me the fun doesn't outweigh the cost.  At $5-10/second it gets old the first time you gotta restock the ammo locker.

Edited by kingarmory

What a bunch of party poop'ers
Shot a couple yrs ago, I call this a $6 buck mag.
http://youtu.be/KVVRyCEnCdc

Shot today, my son shooting a 100rd belt, $45 buck burst.
http://youtu.be/7LZM7FVsp8Q

Shot last yr first trip out with the shrike upper, 180 rd belt.
http://youtu.be/cadAIX2pANY

Shot today, did someone mention 50's, dam son gets all the trigger time.
http://youtu.be/lCUtVE_22Yk

FA is a blast, Period! The Barrett is a close second.

Can I be your second son?  I'll mow the yard...

• Like 2
Guest theconstitutionrocks

I think full auto is over rated...it is expensive, somewhat inaccurate, and expends ammo at an alarming rate. If you are genuinely in a situation where you are trying to suppress a bad guy(s) while you maneuver on him, or you are trying to "fix" him (pin him in position), then aimed, sustained semi-auto fire at a rate of 1 round every 2 or so seconds will do the job. At that rate your fire is accurate, and one magazine lasts about a minute as opposed to a few seconds.

If you are ever in a situation where you GENUINELY need full auto fire (FPFs) then you are in a WORLD of hurt anyway.

If you want to throw a lot of lead downrange in a hurry for fun....get a Saiga 12 shotgun and run #4 buck with a 20 round drum....thats what?....bout 500-600 .25 cal projectiles in less than a minute?

I've never considered auto for a combat situation, one shot one kill.
I have experienced the semi scenario in paintball, I was pinned in a gully with three opponents giving it their best, I prevailed :)

I think full auto is over rated...it is expensive, somewhat inaccurate, and expends ammo at an alarming rate. If you are genuinely in a situation where you are trying to suppress a bad guy(s) while you maneuver on him, or you are trying to "fix" him (pin him in position), then aimed, sustained semi-auto fire at a rate of 1 round every 2 or so seconds will do the job. At that rate your fire is accurate, and one magazine lasts about a minute as opposed to a few seconds.

If you are ever in a situation where you GENUINELY need full auto fire (FPFs) then you are in a WORLD of hurt anyway.

If you want to throw a lot of lead downrange in a hurry for fun....get a Saiga 12 shotgun and run #4 buck with a 20 round drum....thats what?....bout 500-600 .25 cal projectiles in less than a minute?

So much bad information!

1)  Full auto has it's purposes.  To be effective, it takes a lot more training that simply knowing where the 'go-fast' switch is.  Full-auto in the hands of a trained pro can be a wonder to behold.  Whether engaging a squad at 800 meters with a belt-fed or taking on several targets at 100 meters or less with a subgun or carbine, it is impossible to score multiple hits on multiple targets faster with any other weapon.

2) Training is everything.  Trigger control lets the user send the exact number of rounds needed downrange.  How long a magazine or belt lasts depends upon trigger control.

3)  Full-auto is extremely effective at area denial, intimidation, and suppression of multiple targets.

4)  Shotguns are useless past 100 meters.  The Saiga is not renowned for reliability.  The drums and large magazines are fragile and really only suited for range use.

If you really want to see examples of expert full-auto use, watch the top scorers at a submachine gun match.  Effective full-auto fire is not just hosing down an area.  Name another method of taking down three or four opponents in half a second at 100-800 meters (depending upon the weapon) without explosives?  Think Jerry Miculek fast, but at longer ranges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHc4H_i8DY

In WWI, machine gunning was developed into a science.  By WW2, squad automatic weapons had developed into a highly-trained infantry specialization.  Read accounts of infantry action from WW2 and Korea.  Notice how often the BAR gunners and machine gun team were who the others depended upon to hold a line or keep momentum in the assault.

• Like 4

Just do it, BTW, if you can find a place that has MP5, don't get the SD version.. You'll probably spend more money wanting to shoot it all damn day and all you are going to hear is the first click.. 

FA is nice, but belt Fed FA is better.. Belt Fed RPD on someone's private property and their ammo. Excellent. BTW, I'll take that over the SAW I used to carry back in the day, not the newer one..

Just do it!

I've shot MP5's, M16's, UMP-40, 1919 belt fed, M1A1 Thompson, 9mm Steyr Aug, P90, Uzi, M14, AK's and who knows what else. Yes it costs a little but if you're just doing it once it's worth it for sure.

I'm lucky, I get to shoot with some of the local PD sometimes. I let them shoot my stuff and they let me shoot their stuff.