Shipping Handgun Via FedEx

Yes, you do have to notify FedEx of content.

From ATF FAQ-

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

From ATF FAQ-

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Excellent info, as always. The reason I even asked is because the Lady at Charter commented the reason for the Charter 2000 address is so no one knows it's a gun.

From ATF FAQ-

Excellent info, as always. The reason I even asked is because the Lady at Charter commented the reason for the Charter 2000 address is so no one knows it's a gun.

That part of ATF FAQ is wrong, btw, has been wrong ever since it's been on ATF site. Federal law only requires notification when shipping between two non-licensees.

But FedEx requires it under their FAQ. So does UPS.

Both FedEx and UPS allow individuals to ship firearms to an FFL as per both of their TOS's but has to go a form of overnight. You just got an idiot clerk, which happens frequently, and why it is such a hassle to deal with any of the three carriers.

But better that you got a label, would have cost you at least 30 clams to send it yourself.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

That part of ATF FAQ is wrong, btw, has been wrong ever since it's been on ATF site. Federal law only requires notification when shipping between two non-licensees.

But FedEx requires it under their FAQ. So does UPS.

Both FedEx and UPS allow individuals to ship firearms to an FFL as per both of their TOS's but has to go a form of overnight. You just got an idiot clerk, which happens frequently, and why it is such a hassle to deal with any of the three carriers.

But better that you got a label, would have cost you at least 30 clams to send it yourself.

- OS

Thanks, and yes I am starting realize the full benefit of that little prepaid sheet of paper.

I have shipped several firearms back to manufacturers and most recommend FedEx. Problem with FedEx is they either flat our refuse or try to tell you that you need all kinds of additional fees.

The last time I was going to ship a firearm I walked into FedEx. They asked what was in the box so I told them it was a firearm. This was not a handgun but a bare receiver. They told me it needed to be overnighted, that I MUST have some sort of insurance against loss and that I had to pay some sort of extra fee because it wasn't listed as a business address. In the end they wanted me to pay something like $76 to ship it. I thanked them and walked out.

I went to UPS and two minutes later the box was on it way for $27.

Now I will not send anything back to the manufacturer without a label.

Yes, I as well have had difficulties with both FedEx and UPS. One with live ammo and once with a Firearm. But today's little encounter was really quite uneventful. Dropped off box at a Goin' Postal franchise in Fairview.  That little shipping label does wonders. And I even found a wadded-up dollar bill on the way back to the car. Could this day get any better? :woohoo:

....That little shipping label does wonders.

So does simply having a account to print your own label.

I've sent handgun and long gun by just dropping them at UPS store. Since it was going to FFL it wasn't against federal law not to notify and yes if UPS notification terms applies to account holders I ignored it.

I did send the handgun via cheapest overnight rate though to comply with their terms. I know for a fact that sending a handgun via Ground with FedEx is at least somewhat likely to get it intercepted, if not "disappeared". And of course the carrier won't pay off on any claim if not sent by the correct class.

- OS