Bow Season 2014

Quick PSA fellas! Make sure you have and use a Saftey Harness! Believe it or not, they do expire! I have been using one that came with a treestand and last year realized it had an expiration date of 2005!! Plus, there is a YouTube video of a guy hanging a lock on using the harness that came with a deer stand and it broke and he banged himself up pretty good. So spend $100 on a HSS or Muddy's because that's cheaper than obamacare.

That's one thing I plan on buying this year. I've always used the old standard harness. I cuss them every year and swear I will buy a HSS next year. Well, this year, if I have nothing else on my list, it's a HSS harness.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked around where I put my mineral block today and saw the usual deer traffic signs I do every year. I really wanted to walk around more and look for rubs and scrapes, but wanted to keep from disturbing the area as much as possible. It's grown up quite a bit but it always is. I don't mind it at all because it hides me better up in among the leaves, and I still have several clear shooting lanes. Y'all, it's right around the corner!

• Like 1

I had plans to hit the woods today, but I was afraid I might burst into flames. Lol. It sure was hot.

I actually spent a lot of time making some repairs to my 4wheeler

Batman, I can absolutely verify that it was flame-bursting capable! Good grief it was roasting! I left there and went to get a haircut. By the time I left the monsoon was hitting Smyrna. Dang if an hour didn't change what seemed like 30 degrees  :up:

• 2 weeks later...

Went out this morning around 11 to check my mineral block (Trophy Rock). I was VERY pleased to see it licked as smooth as a shiny river rock  :up: . It was actually still wet so I may have interrupted them on my way in. I laid it on top of undisturbed ground, didn't move leaves or anything, just so I could tell if it was getting traffic. Well, there are hardly any leaves around it, they have been hitting it hard. I felt my heart start thumping as soon as I saw it! I climbed up in the stand and just sat there for about half an hour just enjoying the sounds and smells. It also gave me a slight preview of what we'll all be doing very, very soon. I climbed on down and headed back home with the windows down while thanking God for everything we have and asking for a safe season for us all.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone gets more excited about seeing the evidence deer leave behind more than Ruger. In this case...a shiny rock... :rofl:  He must be on the brink of a heart attack when he actually sees one.   Ruger, you better pop an aspirin before you go hunting this year...and if you ever hunt my property....I'll make sure we have a defibrillator. LOL    

I tease of course!  It is indeed exciting to see the work you put into something, produce results.  I thought I was dreaming when I planted a food plot and not only did it grow, but deer ate it down to the dirt! 

I assembled the Muddy Outdoors deer stand and the Millennium deer stand today.   Going to put them up next weekend!  I'll have to give a more detailed report on these deer stands after I get some sitting time in them to help people out who may be interested in owning the two models.  

• Like 1

I don't think anyone gets more excited about seeing the evidence deer leave behind more than Ruger. In this case...a shiny rock... :rofl:  He must be on the brink of a heart attack when he actually sees one.   Ruger, you better pop an aspirin before you go hunting this year...and if you ever hunt my property....I'll make sure we have a defibrillator. LOL    

I tease of course!  It is indeed exciting to see the work you put into something, produce results.  I thought I was dreaming when I planted a food plot and not only did it grow, but deer ate it down to the dirt! 

I assembled the Muddy Outdoors deer stand and the Millennium deer stand today.   Going to put them up next weekend!  I'll have to give a more detailed report on these deer stands after I get some sitting time in them to help people out who may be interested in owning the two models.  

I cannot deny any of the above statement ha ha. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was when I saw the shiny rock :) And yes, I almost have a heart attack when I see a deer :lol:

When I have my own property I can't wait to start my own food plot! I know that had to be exciting for you to see the dirt showing where food used to be Slappy. Even if you don't kill a deer off the food plot that year, you still know you're helping the herd.

Can't wait to see your report on the stands. I'm about due for a new climber, had mine for about 10 years now. It still works, that's the only reason I haven't upgraded. Probably hang on to it for a backup and for when my brother comes to visit.

• Like 1

Well, 2 weeks from tonight, I'll be staring at the ceiling thinking "Why do I even try to go to sleep this early? I know I'm gonna be up till 1, and have to wake up at 3." And love every minute of the conversation I have with myself before heading out the door and jump in the truck for opening day of deer season!!!!  :rock:  :rock:  :rock:

I am much later than I prefer, but this weekend I plan on hanging my new Muddy and Millennium Lock-On tree stands!  I have a few spots picked out and I plan on using a backpack blower to make a clean trail for entry/exit.  I know that sounds kinda crazy, BUT, in my experience, it doesn't affect deer patterns if done soon enough.  Having a clean path allows perfect silence walking to stand, and even more importantly, perfect silence walking away from stand.   It also helps reduce your scent signature.  In fact, I've even seen deer use the trail I made! LOL So we will see!  

• Like 1

I went to check my stand area and see how much more traffic had come through to the mineral block today. Turns out my friend had a bunch of people over for a big party. I know he wouldn't have cared if I just rolled right on back to the woods, but I felt like that would have been rude and just left. I'll swing out tomorrow sometime and check it.

I'm excited because the pear tree in the field corner I hunt is loaded with pears this year!
Been bare the past 3 years, seems to only produce on a 3-4 year cycle. It is always a big hit, but I didn't see any on the ground yet last Saturday.

I hope your truck is loaded with deer like the tree is loaded with pears  :up:

Glad it finally came around and started producing.

I went out today and checked my spot and the mineral block is really getting hit!  :woohoo:  Not one kernel of corn anywhere, they have tore the ground up like crazy!! I know Slappy already knows but I got tore up again seeing the signs! LOL

• Like 1

I wish I had a couple of different places to hunt. I hate hunting one place all the time, just haven't had luck finding a place and the available leases are too expensive.

This spot is pretty reliable, I can take 4 or 5 pretty easily to fill the freezer (last year took 4 on 6 hunts). The ridge I primarily hunt is covered in acorns and hickory nuts, and now that this pear tree is producing the field should be really hot again. The past 3 years I have taken 8 pointers from the field without this food source so really excited about what may be drawn in.

LOL Ruger.    :up:

I went to my farm this past weekend.  Saw a total of about 35 doe, and 4 bucks.  2 of the bucks were yearling spike/4 pts.  The other 2 looks like 2.5y/o 8 points.  I've yet to see a bruiser anywhere but on camera.  

• Like 1

LOL Ruger.    :up:

I went to my farm this past weekend.  Saw a total of about 35 doe, and 4 bucks.  2 of the bucks were yearling spike/4 pts.  The other 2 looks like 2.5y/o 8 points.  I've yet to see a bruiser anywhere but on camera.  

Dang! Well you should have at least a fat doe on the ground opening day if not one of those bucks if you want to.

My buddy who hunts the same land I do has a camera out (periodically) and has quite a few does on there regularly and the only buck I've seen on it is a cockeyed spike. Right one is about 10 inches and left is about 4 and curly.

• Like 1

I bet that spike has some sort of injury on the right side of its body.  A lot of people will blame antler deformations on genetics and while that is true in some circumstances, most of the time antler deformations are due to injury.  If its not a permanent injury, then next year his antlers will mirror each other.  

haha, true.  When I started hunting, my dad told me the first buck I kill, he will have it mounted.  Took me 3 years before I got a shot at a buck.  He ended up being a 2.5 year old 8pt with a 16" spread.  Not a bruiser, but one well worth being proud of!  That was 17 years ago! Yikes!!!!!

I tried to take a 4pt but got "Buck Fever" and couldn't squeeze the trigger.  Then, the same day I got my 8 point, I had a shot at a 4pt but decided to wait for something bigger.  Didn't realize I would only have to wait a few more hours, but I am, to this day, very proud of that deer.  

Edited by Slappy
If i decide to hunt in tn/ky this year it will be with a bow. Otherwise ill be waiting to head home to texas to hunt and hopefully by then ill be packing a new 6.5 creedmoor. I just dont feel that hunting in and around ft campbell will be very fruitful unless with a bow considering the amount of hunting pressure and the lack of private hunting areas specifically available to me unlike in texas.
Talking about injuries and antler growth, my very first deer was a nontypical 6 point when I was 9 years old.

Had 4 points on one side and two on the other, with one of the two being a drop tine. While skinning him it looked like his leg had been broken and was still trying to heal - I remember it was a big knot and popped with any movement.

If i decide to hunt in tn/ky this year it will be with a bow. Otherwise ill be waiting to head home to texas to hunt and hopefully by then ill be packing a new 6.5 creedmoor. I just dont feel that hunting in and around ft campbell will be very fruitful unless with a bow considering the amount of hunting pressure and the lack of private hunting areas specifically available to me unlike in texas.

I've never hunted it but hear there are some big deer up there. Still be worth a shot to me until I got to make it back to TX.

Talking about injuries and antler growth, my very first deer was a nontypical 6 point when I was 9 years old.

Had 4 points on one side and two on the other, with one of the two being a drop tine. While skinning him it looked like his leg had been broken and was still trying to heal - I remember it was a big knot and popped with any movement.

Never forget that deer huh? Love to see a pic if you have one. Call me crazy, but I like the odd looking ones. Sounds like he was a tough ole feller, but glad you put him out of his misery. I saw a doe a few years ago off of Percy Priest that was limping VERY badly. I felt terrible as I watched her limp and bounce along wayyyy out of bow range. Tried to make a good story out of it and told myself that she may heal up and be fine even though it seemed more like a severe shoulder injury instead of a leg injury.

Edited by rugerla1
Checked out my cameras today and boy what a week makes! The acorns have dropped like crazy, and the velvet has come off! It has been years since i have seen this many acorns. Honestly, I can't walk without stepping on them. I found tons of rubbed trees and tracks like crazy. Had nearly 500 pics in a week! Looking forward to season starting.
  • Like 1

Checked out my cameras today and boy what a week makes! The acorns have dropped like crazy, and the velvet has come off! It has been years since i have seen this many acorns. Honestly, I can't walk without stepping on them. I found tons of rubbed trees and tracks like crazy. Had nearly 500 pics in a week! Looking forward to season starting.

Hell, I got excited just reading how good your hunt spot is looking! :lol:
  • Like 1