auto knives at Smoky Mtn Knife Works

Does anybody know if SMKW will be selling automatic knives to the general public starting today (7/1)?  I called them yesterday and they didn't know...went to ask somebody else and put me on hold and never came back.  Thanks, B

I can see them not doing it out of ignorance of the law, but I sure hope they would.  Like DaddyO said, its a market they're missing if they don't.  

SMKW is a unique store, they have Vendor booths manned by rotating staff, sometimes you'll get a knowledgeable employee, sometimes they don't have a clue whats going on.  

I was there a few weeks ago and they are aware of the new law. I was looking at some autos and they asked if I we're LE, and if so they could sell me one otherwise I'd have to wait for july 1.

Good to know, maybe they'll stock more as well

KnifeCenter.com still asks for certification as law enforcement or military to purchase an automatic knife.  I'm waiting for a reply from them as I've bought several knives from them in the past.

Got a reply from KnifeCenter.com.  They will not ship to other than active duty military or law enforcement.

Edited by tnhawk

Ok, got through to customer service.  First employee knew nothing about the new law.  Second person knew about it and said the store's policy did change as a result and that they can and will sell switchblade/auto knives to "everyday, off-the-street" people.  Woo-hoo I'm in that category.  I'll let you know if I purchase one...going on up that way today.

Best wishes, B

Edited by Bassoneer

KnifeCenter.com still asks for certification as law enforcement or military to purchase an automatic knife.  I'm waiting for a reply from them as I've bought several knives from them in the past.

Got a reply from KnifeCenter.com.  They will not ship to other than active duty military or law enforcement.

BladeOps.com was happy to sell me the Pro Tech I'm looking for.

Yes, SMKW, Taylor, and Case were all important in getting the bill passed. 

Mr. Pipes is very much aware of the law. 

Sadly, no special celebration today.

Supposedly, the sales floor staff were talking about starting 1 July at Ka-Bar day this weekend.

Edited by hso

Just got back SMKW.  They will sell you a switch blade/auto knife.  They have them all in one spot on the side nearest the Lodge cast iron store.  I tried a bunch of them and they ranged in price from $40 to several hundred.  I bought a Kalashnikov 74 with a black serrated blade and gray grip...they had several kinds of this particular knife and they were all $40.  There was one knife I liked better with g10 grips but it was $140.  I can't carry one enough to make it worth that to me, but the ak74 knife looks to be very well made for the price.  I like it and that's my first auto knife.

Anyway, now we know.  I'm sure they would appreciate your business.  Best wishes, B

• Like 1