Automatic knife

Guest Woodpecker

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39-17-1301(14) defines a "switchblade knife" as any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

(
:biglol:
Operation of gravity or inertia

39-17-1302(a)(7) says it is illegal to intentionally or knowingly possess, manufacture, transport, repair or sell a switchblade knife.

However.....

39-17-1302©(1) says it an affirmative defense to the above if you can prove by a preponderance of the evidence that having the switchblade knife is "solely as a curio, ornament or keepsake"

So it appears it illegal to carry it, but legal to keep in you house if you can prove the elements of 39-17-1302©(1)

Edited by Fallguy
Link for 39-17-1302 fixed

Wouldn't opening by gravity or inertia classify many kinds of knives as switchblades? Such as MANY of CRKT's knives, which have a finger stud with allows the blade to be "flicked" out.

Ah, finger removers.

The wording sucks. Then again, lots of law speak is ambiguous and misleading.

I have an understanding that spring-assisted are somehow work-arounds to this, because you have to open them with a finger to a certain point. Am I wrong?

Guest Verbal Kint

Spring-assisted knives are legal and fall into the same category as the finger-stud knives. You are still physically initiating the opening of the knife. The spring comes into play afterward and aids in the process. One such knife is the SOG Flash series with their "SOG Assisted Technology".

spring.jpg

SOG Assisted Technology works through the balance of opposing high-tension coil springs. As one opens the blade the force to propel the knife open becomes greater than the closing force and the blade will open on its own. The end result propels the blade out once the operator has initiated the one-handed opening action.

S.A.T. works so well that right-handers can use their left hand equally well to open a folding knife (of course this works oppositely for lefties).

http://www.sogknives.com

Most Spring-Assisted opening knives open just as fast and easily as an automatic knife. Plus, you don't have to worry about accidentally stabbing yourself in the leg when you unintentionally hit the button while the knife is in your pocket. Oh wait, that can't happen, cause it's not legal to carry an automatic knife in the first place.:biglol:

To me, the ridiculously high prices that come with the automatic knives are just not worth it. I'd suggest getting yourself a quality assisted opening knife and call it good.

I've got one of these, but have wondered about the legality, I don't necessarily trust their sales pitch...thoughts?

00980612000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Kershaw Needs Work 1820

Description:spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifThe Needs Work is a lightweight utility-style knife that is perfect for everyday carry. The blade is Sandvik 13C26 for excellent corrosion and wear resistance. The handle is polyimide, an engineering polymer that exhibits an exceptional combination of thermal stability and mechanical toughness. The NW features the patented Ken Onion SpeedSafe assisted opening system for smooth, easy opening. A locking liner ensures the blade stays securely in place until the user closes it. For convenient carrying, a removable pocket clip is also included.spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifSPECIFICATIONS:spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifMade in the USASteel: Sandvik 13C26 stainless-steel spacer.gifHandle: Polyimide Blade Length: 3 in. (7.5 cm)Closed Length: 4 1/8 in. (10.5 cm)Overall Length: N/AWeight: 3.5 oz.

What is SpeedSafe®?

SpeedSafe® is the patented, assisted-opening system built into many of Kershaw's best-selling Ken Onion knives. SpeedSafe® assists the user to smoothly open the knife with a manual push on the blade's thumb stud or Index-Open system. (Index-Open uses a protruding portion of the blade's finger guard to give the user an alternative to the thumb stud. The user manually pulls back on the protrusion with the index finger to open the blade.)spacer.gif

How does SpeedSafe® work?

The heart of the SpeedSafe® system is its torsion bar. Closed, the torsion bar helps keep the knife closed, preventing it from being opened by "gravity." In order to open the knife, the user must apply manual pressure to the thumb stud to overcome the resistance of the torsion bar. After the blade is out of the handle, the torsion bar moves along its half-moon track and takes over. The blade opens smoothly and locks into position, ready for use.spacer.gif

Is a SpeedSafe® knife a switchblade?

NO! There are many unique features of SpeedSafe knives that make them quite different than knives that are considered switchblades. Unlike a switchblade, SpeedSafe blades DO NOT deploy with the push of a button in the handle or by gravity alone. Instead, the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance -- using the thumb stud or Index-Open protrusion on the blade itself -- in order to engage the SpeedSafe system. Because the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance, SpeedSafe knives fall fully outside the Federal definition of a switchblade. However, due to the complexity and constantly changing nature of these laws and regulations, it is impossible for Kershaw Knives to be aware of every restriction in every location in which our knives are sold or carried. It is the responsibility of the buyer to investigate and comply with the laws and regulations that apply in his or her specific area. At Kershaw, we are proud to be able to offer this convenient, secure technology.

Ha, I'm not sure if it's a law in Tennessee or not, but I thought there was a provision allowing people that have lost use of one arm to carry an auto knife.

Well it's not in the law, the law only mentions LEOs, Military and EMTs.

However I myself wouldn't have a problem with the person that only has use of one arm having one. Really I'm not sure what the big deal is anyone. You can open many legal knives with one hand now, so what if it does it with a spring or gravity?

-----

I've got one of these, but have wondered about the legality, I don't necessarily trust their sales pitch...thoughts?

The info for the Kershaw Needs Work 1820 knife says "The user manually pulls back on the protrusion with the index finger to open the blade."

It would seem if you have to manually start the action to open the blade it would be legal.

I carry a kershaw with the speed safe tech. I personally like it more than i do my SOG Flash, one of the sharpest and fastest knives ive ever gotten from the factory. Would have no problems puncturing a lung, which is what i like since we have a no firearms on campus rule.

K1660CKT-2T.jpg

Edited by Jack
Adding info.

I looked this up many yrs. ago, the only way one can carry a switchblade on their person is if they are e.m.t. or l.e. or have only one arm! You can buy switchblades starting at $5.00 at any show, but if your vehicle was searched before getting home, youre in trouble.

Also in the last few yrs. their are many restrictions banning the possesion

of ninja type weapons, such as nun-chucks etc.

I have always heard it is better to get arrested with a conceled weapon such as a handgun, than it would be with a switchblade, since there is such a bad rap of those!:cool: