M-16 Bolt/carrier in a SBR?

Guest VolDaddy

Guest VolDaddy

Im sure someone here knows, is it ok to run a M-16 bolt/carrier in a SBR lower?

I bought a used kitty cat upper and it came with a M-16 bolt/carrier. My SBR lower is a semi-only configuration, and I dont have other M-16 parts or a M-16. So am I legal or do I need to ditch the bolt/carrier?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically yes, but some ATF people "could" argue that you in violation by having the parts. This has been discussed before and no clear answer. I say, If the ATF wants to find something "illegal" they will. Just be careful and hope you never have a "double" when some ATF wannabe is around..

Guest VolDaddy

Is it possible for this setup to cause a double? If so I will not run it and sell my bolt carrier on Gunbroker. Like I said the only reason I have it at all is because it came with a used upper. Thought I could save some coin by using it, but want to run leagal first and foremost.

Guest Verbal Kint

I have one in my SBR build. Go over to M4C and read up on the issue. As Nate mentions, it's a grey area and debatable... but it's legal to buy and use. As far as the rifle going "double" due to using the BCG... I've never seen that case presented anywhere. Usually there is much more wrong/altered in the rifle for that to happen (i.e. trigger packs being polished and tweaked with).

As I said... research it over on M4C. Plenty of manufacturers/ops/"pros" that have or are using them and have voiced their experience and views. Few opinions against it as well. Read up and then make your own decision, pro or con.

Also, as Nate stated... if the BATFE wants to find something "illegal", they will.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest Verbal Kint
It will not cause a double, and it is perfectly legal to use. I run M16 carriers in both my ARs.

Just stay away from M16 FCGs.

+1

Here's one of the posts Tungsten mentioned, stating the BATFE's views on this issue (scanned letter):

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=189700&postcount=18

Good Lord this comes up a lot! Below is the attached letter from the ATF. While they do not like you to do it, their is no law against it.

The simple fact is that if it was illegal for you to own an M16 BCG do you REALLY THINK that companies like Colt, LMT, etc would ship their weapons with M16 BCG's?????????????????

C4

M16%20BCG%20ATF%20Letter.jpg

Edited by Verbal Kint

If you really want to get into the subject. There is a thread in the Legal Section on AR15.com that is 23 pages long. A lot of spirited debate in it. The funny thing is, there are even some manufacturers/dealers that posted in the thread that don't know the law. Of course, the ATF is very good in keeping everybody guessing, as they can't seem to give a definitive answer to anybody's question.

The fact remains that a M16 carrier (by itself) is not going to cause any problems in the workings of the rifle, and there is no law that prohibits their installation in AR15s. As noted in the M4Carbine thread, some AR15 manufacturers ship their rifles from the factory with M16 carriers. My LMT came that way.

Guest Verbal Kint
Thanks! Once I can finally afford to shoot mine, I'll determine if I need to make any changes. I opted for the LMT Standard S/A BCG. To be honest, I'm not even sure what type of buffer I have. I guess I need to find out.

Honestly, you probably won't ever need a F/A BCG... or at least never be able to tell a difference. Only reason I went with one on my build is that I set out to use the "best" parts or "beefy" parts whenever/wherever I could. A lot of my build, if you look at the list, is overkill and excess money spent. (like the MUR upper receiver, on a SBR, for example) :tough:

But hey... figured might as well splurge a little, since I was only going to do it once. One of these days I'll actually finish the rifle and be able to shoot it. lol. Kinda stuck it on the back burner for the time being, since I finished the paper work / stamp b4 the upcoming Obamination. Taking care of some other things in the mean time (expenses) and planning a couple more toys before any ban comes around. Still lacking the quad rail, BUIS, and optics on the SBR build... but all of that is stuff I can pick up regardless of who's in office.

Bottom line... the F/A BCG is just a matter of preference. You'll be fine with, or without, it.