Advice on slowing down speeders in residential neighborhood?

TGO David

• Administrator

I'm about ready to start putting cement blocks in the middle of our street after dark just to slow some people down. :mad:

We live on residential street that our city planners have designated as a "connector" road that ties together two major roads at either end. I would say that our street is about a mile long and winds lazily through several small residential neighborhoods. There are zero commercial properties along it, the area is zoned residential. We have a 30mph speed limit which frankly I think is about 10mph too high but I would be happy with if the motorists obeyed it.

I realize that the human eye is not a good judge of speed. But I also know the difference between a car or truck doing 5mph over and one doing 10-15mph over. It's pretty friggin obvious when you hear the engine and see the suspension loading as they carve the corners. :dirty:

When I moved into the neighborhood, my house was literally one of the last on the road. Now development has extended another quarter mile or so down the road from us and the traffic has increased to where it is constant and consistently fast. I purposefully don't walk our dog through the neighborhood for fear of getting hit by one of these assclowns. Sooner or later, someone's kid will get hit and killed. It is almost a certainty at this point.

I really don't think I'm exaggerating the problem and think that BNagashima and his wife can vouch for what I'm saying. They don't live too far from us and have commented on the same things at dinner with us in the past.

So... have any of you here ever combated a problem like this? If you have, what did you do? How did you make City Hall listen to your concerns? Does someone generally have to get hurt before something is done about it?

While it's mildly therapeutic to bitch about it here, I'd rather put my energy into doing something about it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vehicle Grade Caltrops.

Faux roadblock.

Buy some cement and yellow paint, and build a speedbump. A large one.

None of those are necessarily LEGAL, but they work.

Guest clownsdd

1 nails on the road.

2 get the plate numbers and get them to your local leo.

I've had the same problem..I let them know that I don't care what you do elsewhere, just not here..too many kids. Let them know you see them. Wave, say hi...It will stop.

Edited by clownsdd
  • Administrator

I have asked about them putting in a stop sign at the corner of my lot just to slow traffic down and was told by a city engineer that connector roads cannot have stop signs on them like that. I am going to call city hall again and see if a petition from the residents on this end of the neighborhood would help get some speed humps, stop signs, police cars, radar wagons, whatever.

I'm about ready to start putting cement blocks in the middle of our street after dark

I will assume you are not serious about this action. If you are serious retain a lawyer first. you will get you ass sued off when a wreck happens.

Last week I was In Cincinnati. I drove down a connector road between a major artery and another lesser artery. Years back when I lived there this road was open and I have no doubt people sped down it to get from point A to point B. I was suprised to see big old speedbumps in the road. About every 50 yards or so they were. No doubt the city put these in place. I also have no doubt that a request by more than one or two homeowners on the street had these put in place on the cities dime.

I suggest you put something in writing making a request for assistance from you city council or county commission. Have as many residents on the street sign it. Go from there. Squeaky wheel gets a greasing, you know?

Call the Police Chief or Sheriff, depending on if you are in the city or county, and request traffic enforcement. If this does not work, go to your city counsel/ board of aldermen and speak out about these problems. We use citizen complaints to plan where we will increase traffic enforcement. We also use radar speed trailers, to remind people to make their speed match the posted limit.

Guest Verbal Kint
I will assume you are not serious about this action. If you are serious retain a lawyer first. you will get you ass sued off when a wreck happens.

It was a joke, I'm sure. Anyway... we decided these would be more effective. No one left to sue. Problem solved.

300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

• Administrator

Man I am so glad I got on here and read this. I was JUST about to go outside and do it but you talked some sense into me.

Call the Police Chief or Sheriff, depending on if you are in the city or county, and request traffic enforcement. If this does not work, go to your city counsel/ board of aldermen and speak out about these problems. We use citizen complaints to plan where we will increase traffic enforcement. We also use radar speed trailers, to remind people to make their speed match the posted limit.

Yep.

We have a similar situation in Spring Hill, and enough residents voicing their concerns got the road in question to be *really* cracked down on.

Enough tickets get written, and people start getting the message. Now the traffic is tame enough that people feel safe being out and about on foot again with pets, kids, etc.

Good luck - you just gotta start letting the police know the law needs to be enforced (then up the food chain if that doesn't work).

It was a joke, I'm sure. Anyway... we decided these would be more effective. No one left to sue. Problem solved.

300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

seen one of them courtesy of Mars at one of our shoots. I went to a few surplus stores this weekend, curiously enough no one had any. I would like to set one up at the end of my driveway just for giggles.

For that spring-speedbump video, wait till it finishes and shows it's related videos. There is on titled "strange new speed bumps?", it has trees planted ON THE ROAD, making people HAVE to slow down and turn to avoid them. They are on the side of the road.

Guest Verbal Kint
seen one of them courtesy of Mars at one of our shoots. I went to a few surplus stores this weekend, curiously enough no one had any. I would like to set one up at the end of my driveway just for giggles.

Seen more than I cared to ever deal with, being a munitions inspector.

Damn things will give you one hell of a buzz, and a headache, if you aren't careful in messing with them. Need rubber gloves and ventilation, when dealing with them in bulk, due to them exuding their contents through the plastic casing with age (contact and fumes).

Was definitely a fun work day, until the migraines starting kicking in. :dirty:

Never got to set one off though, other than seeing one or two on a range demo.

I lived in a residential neighborhood in Davidson County, and they opted for the Speed Humps.

Unlike regular Speed Bumps, these humps were much larger in width, and not quite so high. They would require the driver to slow down, but not quite like you would going through a parking lot with regular speed bumps.

These were installed before I moved to the neighborhood, so I'm unsure of the effort needed to get the city or county to put the humps in place. This particular road (Gibson Dr.) was a connector, between Due West Ave. and Old Hickory Blvd. Sounds somewhat similar to your situation.

Best of luck.

I sometimes put a tree branch in the road. Small enough to drive over, big enough to make the bass turds slow down so they don't "Scratch up my ride, yo!" I have yet to have a tree branch traced back to me.

Guest canynracer
I lived in a residential neighborhood in Davidson County, and they opted for the Speed Humps.

Unlike regular Speed Bumps, these humps were much larger in width, and not quite so high. They would require the driver to slow down, but not quite like you would going through a parking lot with regular speed bumps.

These were installed before I moved to the neighborhood, so I'm unsure of the effort needed to get the city or county to put the humps in place. This particular road (Gibson Dr.) was a connector, between Due West Ave. and Old Hickory Blvd. Sounds somewhat similar to your situation.

Best of luck.

Yeah, thats exactly what we got..sorry, I called them bumps.. if you hit them at 30, you are gonna get a headache....LOL

Seen more than I cared to ever deal with, being a munitions inspector.

Damn things will give you one hell of a buzz, and a headache, if you aren't careful in messing with them. Need rubber gloves and ventilation, when dealing with them in bulk, due to them exuding their contents through the plastic casing with age (contact and fumes).

Was definitely a fun work day, until the migraines starting kicking in. :lol:

Never got to set one off though, other than seeing one or two on a range demo.

Bet the demo was a hell of a scene. The one we handled was a disarmed version. But it would make a fine display in place of my concrete lions, LOL. At any rate if someone other than Mormons was dumb enough to come down into the woods on my driveway the claymore my be more valuable than the ADT sign :tough:

I have seen several neighborhoods where the county put in speed bumps and speeding pretty much comes to a halt. The mines would be more satisfying. :D

Guest sermon8r

Call your local PD so much the dispatchers know your voice and why you are calling before they answer.

call your Mayor and Alderman and PD Chief.

take video and show it to PD.

ask for an Officer to come out so you can do a Citizens Arrest if you know where one of the offending speeders lives. (be prepared to go to Court).