• 10-10.5"
    • 6-7.5"
    • Other, please elaborate

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Should add a poll, with the SBR barrel lengths/options. Would be easier to see the popular vote.

10.5" for me.

Anything longer, IMO, would not warrant the tax stamp and I might as well go 16+ for accuracy and longer range. Anything shorter and you run into potential functioning issues due to the length of gas system.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Added "potential" and reason why, for the sake of clarity.
Should add a poll, with the SBR barrel lengths/options. Would be easier to see the popular vote.

Point your peepers to the top of the thread.

And then vote early, vote often.

10.5" for me.

Anything longer, IMO, would not warrant the tax stamp and I might as well go 16+ for accuracy and longer range. Anything shorter and you run into functioning issues.

Ditto... I came to the same conclusion when researching to get an SBR myself. (Now it looks like all that research was in vain. Had quite a set back.:cool:)

If your building a 9mm AR, that changes things. Even a shorter barrel than

10" is pretty neat and interesting.

• Administrator

The ideal length is probably 11 - 11.5 inches. I didn't want to wait for BCM to get their 11-inch uppers back in stock so I went with the 10.5 LMT. But if you're looking for reliability they say that those lengths are less finicky about the size of the gas port.

The ideal length is probably 11 - 11.5 inches. I didn't want to wait for BCM to get their 11-inch uppers back in stock so I went with the 10.5 LMT. But if you're looking for reliability they say that those lengths are less finicky about the size of the gas port.

Ideally 11"-11.5" is the way to go for "no fear" OOTB function. If going shorter, I can massage the gas system to get them where they need to be to negate the need for tricky tubes or buffers.

Just wondered what the Kool-Aid flavor of the month is.

• 3 weeks later...
..... 11"-11.5" is the way to go for "no fear" OOTB function......

That is why the XM177E1 became the XM177E2.

The 10" barrel on the "E1" proved to be an undesirable length due to function reliability and accuracy issues. The "E2" which was basically the same Carbine with a 11.5" barrel.

But I must admit that a 10 incher has a tac cool factor all its own! ;)

Based on the fact that I can buy a Kel-Tec PLR16 in a rifle caliber and it fits the application of a SBR with no Federal permission or cost required, and I can buy it for $500; I would have to say …. 9.2â€. (10-10.5 on your poll.) :D