New short range toy

Shooting short range is new for me and I thought I Tinker with a new toy I acquired last weekend. I figured since it's short range there was no need in having a full gun so I horse traded around for half of a gun.

Of course it's a tight neck so I had to order a neck turner to turn 6 BR brass. The turner arrived today and after messing up 4-5 cases trying to get it set just how I wanted it, I turned 25 cases and fired formed 6 of them.

After I got the cases fire formed I dropped five charges using my old Redding BR30 powder measurer and went back out to the shooting bench. I have to say its a bit awkward shooting this thing and I'm unsure as of yet how to go about getting in on it and getting a good feel of what I need to do to acquire the best and consistent hold possible.
Anyhow the gun is a savage Striker with a shilen 1-13 twist x17" .269 neck chambered in a 6BR. The stock I believe is a 7Fingers and it has a Timney trigger set at 6ozs.

Here's the gun setup, I bought some delrin and used the table saw to machine a slot in it to fit the stock in so I'd have a 3" wide surface to use with my rests.

IMG_20140905_202912_740_zpsj3yb5xe3.jpg

IMG_20140905_202920_262_zpsdfiejsxq.jpg

Now here's the first five shot group out of the gun. Powder used was H322 and I'm unsure of charge it's between 27.0-27.5 grns using a 68 grn. Hillbilly BT match bullet. This group was shot without the 3" delrin attached to it so it was to me a bit unstable to hold.

IMG_20140905_203027_600_zpsjsqs2wwm.jpg

One more with target and gun.

IMG_20140905_203039_711_zpsbloizoqk.jpg

Edited by jphillips63
  • Like 1
The scope has about 3 1/2" eye relief but the gun weighs about 13 lbs so not real kick to it. I started missing this one as soon as it left the house but I just don't shoot enough bench rest to keep it. How is the rear rest working for you Edited by BJB

The scope has about 3 1/2" eye relief but the gun weighs about 13 lbs so not real kick to it. I started missing this one as soon as it left the house but I just don't shoot enough bench rest to keep it. How is the rear rest working for you

The rear rest works well but I'm making a new block with no taper in it so the gun actually slides straight back instead of downward. I'll use the front rest to make my windage and elevation adjustments. I do know ear plugs is a must shooting this thing