Got let go from work

RC3

I know life isnt fair. I already found a cool job that I will hopefully get and hope it turns out great. The only reason I told him to hire better employees is due to the fact that the ones he "hand picked" stole $1000s worth of phones and were terrible in general.

That does happen with the "hand picked, best men available types" sometimes.

Back when I was working a parts sales job, a newly promoted GM started hiring some high pressure, fast talking sales types. During all this, he expressed his concerns that I would be able to do the job to his satisfaction, and be able to keep up with his new hires and greater expectations; indicating he thought I didn't have the "right stuff" for his new sales force. Also told me he was worried for my future there. Hmmm.

Within a few months, his new sales force began dropping out like flies on a hot stove. Our customer base didn't like the high pressure and "add on" tactactics he wanted employed. The expectation was that these new guys and methods would double our sales within 6 months.

When the numbers didn't appear, and the promised high commissions didn't come; the actual sellers moved on to where they could make money. The fast talking pushy guys soon got tired of actually working for a living and not sitting behind a desk and on a phone.

And several of the others had some really interesting sidelines going on.

One was on heroin from day one, and had been able to conceal it. But was found out when an account called in and complained that he'd offered to sell some of his wares to the employees there.

One was found to be coming in at night helping the loading crew to get this truck ready for the next day; making sure all his sales were "loaded correctly". Turned out he was taking merchandise out of the warehouse and selling on the side. He and a warehouse accomplice were met by Metro one evening and given some new short-term jewelry to wear.

My favorite was one of the "best" who was given an East Tennessee territory, a company credit card, a new truck, and a rented warehouse storage area to house product in as a satellite base. 

The industrious young man immediately started padding the sales list by adding fake accounts and stocking those products in an adjacent unit he'd rented for himself.

So with the real accounts he had being placed on a net 10 basis, he was able to stockpile quite a bit and sell on a cash deal to many others. But you can only put off the past due accounts for so long.

He initially paid some of the real invoices and floated along like a pyramid scheme, but was finally so greedy that he stopped paying the real invoices and customers started receiving past due statements.

At the end, it was found that he had embezzled in the neighborhood of 50,000 in cash; and had a stash of parts worth more than that.

After the dust settled, the GM and I were having my evaluation meeting one evening. I causally asked if my style of sales and performance still worried him.

Probably wasn't the wisest thing to do, but I did.

He just looked at me a little harshly and laughed it off. We actually became pretty good friends after that.

So...the moral is that management isn't always completely right and totally competent.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1