idpa world championship cancelled.

Here is the information sent out tonight from IDPA headquarters:

Date, Venue Change for 2015 IDPA World Shoot

Because of the desire for greater accessibility for U.S. members, the bulk of our membership, we have decided that the 2015 IDPA World Shoot will be rescheduled to take place this coming September in Tulsa, Oklahoma, taking the place of the scheduled US Nationals.

Originally planned for March 25-29 in Caguas, Puerto Rico, the 2015 IDPA World Shoot will now take place September 16-19 at the U.S. Shooting Academy in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

When we originally planned the details for the 2015 World Shoot, IDPA’s second such international championship match, we looked to host it outside the continental U.S., selecting Puerto Rico as the destination. While Puerto Rico offers an excellent venue, and what would no doubt be a top rate competitive shooting and social event, IDPA mis-estimated the level of enthusiasm such a match outside the continental U.S. would generate among U.S. members. Our first priority is to deliver IDPA members a first-class championship event and right now the majority of our members, that would fill the match, are telling us they want that event to be held closer to home citing the still depressed economy as one of the reasons to limit travel.

IDPA members that registered early for the World Shoot will be guaranteed slots at the rescheduled event in Tulsa. Additionally, IDPA has lowered the match fee from $275 to $225, which reflects the reduced costs of hosting the match in the mainland US.

The Puerto Rico IDPA community continues to grow with their Caguas Challenge and the Puerto Rico Nationals match gaining popularity among major match competitors, and we are looking forward to possibly hosting an international championship in Puerto Rico in the coming years. IDPA HQ will work with Max and the Caguas club on the possibility of hosting a major match during the same time frame for those that still wish to visit this great club and location.

Got that email last night and am not terribly happy about it.....

I busted my butt last year travelling around shooting enough sanctioned matches to get into the World Championship in Puerto Rico. I was looking forward to taking the wife there on vacation and shooting the match while we were there. That makes for a cool vacation to a tropical locale.....now I get to go back to Tulsa.... Wow. Now instead of going to the beach and to some cool historical places maybe we can go to the tumbleweed museum or the stock yard....... :shrug:

As an IDPA member / S.O. I just about didn't renew my membership. It started to appear to me the organization was catering to the elite, famous and / or wealthy. It's nice to see they found out what side their bread is buttered on.

What's y'alls opinion on organizations that grow and cater to the famous and elite? Such as maybe the NRA using member dues / donations to purchase multi-million dollar historic weapons only the elite / famous may handle and shoot? The average annual or life members do not have that privilege. Or IDPA starting to trend that way?

• Like 1

I don't really think a plane ticket to Puerto Rico and a week stay there once every 4 YEARS is in the realm of the elite.... a family vacation to Disney World is probably more expensive.....

The World Championship is only held once every 4 years. And EVERYONE else in the world is going to have to travel to another country unless they live in the host country. I realize most IDPA shooters are in the US, but not ALL of them. IPSC has held World Championship matches in South Africa, and Ecuador yet american shooters still showed up at those.... And a plane ticket to Puerto Rico is a heck of a lot less than one to South Africa....

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

I don't really think a plane ticket to Puerto Rico and a week stay there once every 4 YEARS is in the realm of the elite.... a family vacation to Disney World is probably more expensive.....

The World Championship is only held once every 4 years. And EVERYONE else in the world is going to have to travel to another country unless they live in the host country. I realize most IDPA shooters are in the US, but not ALL of them. IPSC has held World Championship matches in South Africa, and Ecuador yet american shooters still showed up at those.... And a plane ticket to Puerto Rico is a heck of a lot less than one to South Africa....

Well there Cruel Hand, I won't argue the point but... From my perspective, if your annual income is above $25,000.00 and / or you can afford a monthly trip to McDonalds... You are the rich and elite :surrender:

• Like 1

I take it you've never been to The Range in North Carolina. A couple of big hay fields with short berms and some bays look like places we've cut firewood out of here on the farm.

Triple the size of ORSA's AP range or double the size of MCTS range and we'd have a venue as good or better than most I've seen.  Heck if VA State can run 18 bays where their IDPA club is it's doable anywhere.