AR Handguard Alignment

Clod Stomper

I must be doing something wrong. I don't know WHAT I could possibly be doing wrong when threading on a handguard, but this is the third time.

A couple years ago, I bought a Midwest HG from Brownell's. When I installed it, it was noticeably misaligned side-to-side. I tried it on 3 different uppers, all made by LAR. Same deal. So I sent it back. When I got the replacement, it was exactly the same. At that point, I figure it must be something I'm doing wrong.

So I took it to Predator Arms to let them look at it. They come up with the same result.

I tried truing the receiver face. No luck.

At the last gun show I picked up an unknown brand HG. Its attachment is nearly identical to the Midwest Ind. Also like Yankee Hill for those unfamiliar with MI.

So for the third time, I have the same exact problem. This one is a mid-length, so it's not as critical as the rifle length I was using before. But since I do install the front sight on the HG, It kinda needs to be straight.

Only thing that I can think may be wrong is that I may be over torquing. I don't have a torque wrench. They line up fine before being tightened, but when everything is tightened down, it gets crooked.

I'm going to try facing the receiver to where I don't need to use as much torque to align the gas tube hole. Just need to get some lapping compound.

Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Well, crap. I meant to put this in the Gunsmithing forum. Edited by Clod Stomper

Couldn't you use washers to shim the barrel nut? Like these...

http://madbull.com/catalog/en/products/internal-upgrade/barrel-nut-washer.html

I could do that, but I already have a receiver face truing tool.  It accomplishes the same thing.  I just remove a bit of material until the gas tube holes line up without too much torque.  

I've never seen those before.  If they're cheap, they could be handy to keep around as a quick fix.

I've never had this problem, but some pictures might help us see what's going on

It may be a couple days before I'm able to do that, but just picture looking down the rails over your receiver and railed handguard.  At the receiver/handguard junction, the rails start to angle to the left and the barrel is not centered in the handguard.  

Edited by Clod Stomper

Slightly off topic.... front sights on handguards aren't the best idea. Some HGs are "stiff" enough to reasonably hold zero, but most really aren't... especially out at the end where the front sight would go.

I don't disagree. But this is on a pistol.

Which is another reason I should have put this thread in Gunsmithing instead of Long Guns. D'oh!

But you're right. For accurate shooting (with a sling), the front sight on the barrel and the sling on the free float handguard.
I work with a guy, who over torqued his barrel nut to the point where it shredded when he removed it, and his handguard wasn't visibly misaligned. Regardless, even a $22 torque wrench from Harbor Freight is good enough for installing a barrel nut.

Got me thinking, I'm lucky that both of the slim handguards I've put on ARs recently have proprietary barrel nuts that don't require timing the gas tube.
  • Like 1