Cleaning frequency?

Hidalgo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in the military for 19 years and we have never put dry bore brushes through the weapons. We always oiled them with some CLP.

On mine, I do the same thing and make sure the bore is oiled well before putting the bore brush through it. If it isn't oiled with something like CLP, then running the bore brush through defeats the purpose.

I did see the poly brush the other day in the store, but really have never used one and didn't know if it worked ok or not.

It might be helpful to let you know I exited the service in November 1989.

Its been a day or three(thousand)

CLP had just come out and the armorers in the the units I was in ranging from University of Tennessee ROTC to 37th Engineers (CBT/ABN) all hated the stuff. When you put it on the weapons it kept cleaning and cleaning. You could not get it all out or off and the weapons appeared just as dirty a week after you turned it in from just sitting in the rack. We dry cleaned, and did it for hours on end.

I like the new stuff as well.

Edited by Rightwinger

CLP is one of the best things ever invented, next to sliced bread. That's all we are allowed to use on our weapons. The stuff really is incredible. It will eat and eat at carbon like you said.

Guest Fastzntn
CLP had just come out and the armorers in the the units I was in ranging from University of Tennessee ROTC to 37th Engineers (CBT/ABN) all hated the stuff. When you put it on the weapons it kept cleaning and cleaning.

Absolutely. I cleaned my Mosin Nagant thoroughly, and left some CLP in the bore for storage. After sitting for several months I swabbed the bore and the patch came out dirty! I see it as a good thing. No matter how much I clean that dang Mosin she still has a dirty bore! Oh well.

Guest Halfpint

Anything I shoot after a trip to the range, regardless of round count. Anything I don't shoot, I at least rub down with CLP or Barricade and oil the bore once a month. Before range trips I oil/grease (slide rails only) as needed.

I also clean my carry gun every week or two just to get the lint out . . . Carrying condition-one tends to eat my shirts. :)

I clean my pistols only after they begin to have function issues, or whenever I replace worn/broken parts, which is usually every 1-5K rounds or so. Except of course for my carry pistol, it gets cleaned after every range session, and sometimes in between, to get the lint/etc out.

Shotguns get boresnaked and the semi-autos get their gas systems cleaned every time. Rifles get boresnaked and usually fully broken down for detail cleaning every time.

I field strip and clean with CLP after every range visit. Detail strip and clean about every third visit. As a trained armorer, I am picky about reliability and carefully inspect working parts every couple of months during detailed cleaning.

I field strip,clean and lube once a week on my carry piece, fired or not.

I cringe every time I read about feed and fire failures, along with accompanying explanations about what is wrong. Sorry, but they usually sound pretty much like dirty weapons and lack of lube! Have a friend who is a gunsmith and he informs me that I am pretty much on track. Most guns that come to him have dirty actions and/or parts that were cracked for a long time before they finally failed.

It seems that the same people who pooh-pooh regular cleaning and inspection are the same ones that are real quick to advise expensive gunsmith solutions for everything that goes wrong.

It does no good to have an uber-piece that throws a 200+grain slug with guaranteed 1 shot stop capability if the gun won't work when needed!

I hope I never have to draw my CCW, I already have my share of recorded kills, but I sure as hell don't want any surprises or disappointments when I do!

MGysgt of Marines